“Dishonest and rude”

Lake Tinaroo Holiday Park
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Haha - love the review above this, written by the owner/manager who's name just happens to be Faith? In May of this year I booked two side by side cabins for the Christmas week, and was offered a night free if we paid for 4. On calling this morning to confirm all was in order I was told our cabins were in fact in different areas of the park and that what I had booked and paid for - and which had been confirmed by email - was not available. Several phone calls later I was advised that I should basically not come there and that my deposit would be refunded. I now know that the park is under new management and believed that they did not want to honour the free night which I had had confirmed in writing. This was confirmed in a further phone call with the owner, Peter, this afternoon, in which I was offered two side by side cabins, in the same location as I had previously booked, but for four nights, no complimentary night. When I asked that he put this offer in writing to my email the phone was passed to Faith who told me that I should just not come and the connection was terminated. I have actually found better and friendlier accommodation nearby and enquiries in the local area all confirm the poor reputation and ethics of these people.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Vicx57
Lilwiffy, Owner at Lake Tinaroo Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

Hi Vicx57 - thank you for your review.

I would like to again apologise as I'm not sure why the Managers of the lessee company did not book and lock in the 2 villas as per your request. As we explained on the phone, we did our best to juggle other guests to accommodate your request but were unable to. We did look at juggling other guests to get two units side by side, but on different dates to those you originally wanted, which didn't suit.

In our defence, I guess our tolerance for people swearing and cursing at us for something that we are not at fault for, is low, and as I explained, if you are not happy, then I would rather refund your deposits paid and allow you to find something more suitable.

I'm glad you have found somewhere 'more suitable' for your stay and wish you and your family the very best for Christmas.

Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

The whole place is greener cleaner accommodation, gardens cleaned up snd now has a huge selection of groceries including meat packs. I am enjoying my visit this time!! I think all the buildings have been painted and new furniture in some accommodation. The owners and managers are doing a great job.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Faith W

Thank you for your kind words, they are much appreciated. Yes, we - my husband, myself, sister and brother in law are no longer leasing the park to Discovery, and my husband and I are also now the Managers. We are working hard with renovations including new furniture (good spotting), greening up the lawns, repainting and generally sprucing up the place. We have a great group of staff that are taking pride in their work and it is starting to show. We've also now got a fully stocked grocery store with reasonable prices, including meat packs, from rissoles to rump steak and family packs, bread, bacon, eggs, tin food, dog supplies, miniature toiletries in case you have forgotten yours or run out, frozen meals, vegies, fresh onions and potatoes, a huge range of drinks, dairy, cream and snacks. We've also got a large range of fishing tackle and bait, and have the fishing permits for all stocked dams in Queensland. We have repaired the jumping pillow, have kayak and canoe hire, and are about to release the peddle go karts for hire starting from the Christmas holidays.

We would ask for your patience as it will take a while to get back up to a very high standard but we will get there with your help.

If you have had an experience, whether good or bad, please let us know so we can hopefully learn from them and make necessary changes, or we can be encouraged that we are doing things right.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We just stayed for 4 nights in one of the Superior Villa cabins. The staff were great but a few things detracted from the experience significantly. The cabin was relatively well laid out but quite small for a party of 6, especially in respect of lounge seating (there was only one 2 seat sofa). Whilst the general cleanliness of the cabin was acceptable, the lounge was entirely disgusting with the old cloth fabric being heavily stained and uncomfortable with years of use. It was really very bad and well past it's use by date. The linen was clean and fresh but the bed covers were dirty and full of dust and we believe harboured bed bugs, with 2 of our party succumbing to bites over the stay. These points, along with the jumping pillow being out of action in the middle of school holidays, contributed to a disappointing stay. I informed the young staff member of our concerns on checkout and was told it would be noted, but in light of this experience I could not recommend a stay here at this time. Let's hope it improves as it is quite a nice little park in a nice part of the world.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2013

As above and also was very quiet. Was nice to wake up to the bird life sounds. Grounds very neat and tidy. Lake access is good. Overall it is a nice place to stay, especially if one brings a fishing rod !

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in a Superior Villa. Was really happy with the service, facilities, cleanliness, location and price. Everything was great. Only one disappointment. We stayed here because you could hire boats to take to the lake. My partner was so excited to go fishing with my father and son. So we went to hire the boat and was told that park staff must launch the boat for you. That was fine with us. Problem was they was only one person on all day that day so they had no one to launch it as they couldn't leave the office. Very disappointed. Couldn't you put a sign on the door saying 'back in 10 mins'? Especially seeing that the lake is directly over the road it would only take 10 mins to back the boat in. We were paying customers who had stayed here for the exact reason of hiring a boat. Not to mention that all day that day, and every other day, the boats sat out the front with 'HIRE ME' written on them. Bit of false advertising. You would think during the Easter Holidays that you would have enough staff on to cover someone hiring a boat. Disappointed :(

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank keenie1979
Kara-Jane Q, Manager at Lake Tinaroo Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Hi Keenie 1979 I understand your frustration and was not aware of this issue. Thankyou for your feedback and if you can contact me I would like to discuss this further. Regards Kara-Jane

Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in on of the family cabins (sleeps 6).
The cabin was warm and cosy and the setting was very tranquil in the bush.
The best part is it is right across the road from the Park Headquarters and therefore right on the edge of the park.
The staff at checkin were friendly and helpful and the shop had a great range of groceries at a reasonable price. (Surprising given the location).
The only negative was the bed in the cabin. A lousy nights sleep on a lumpy hard mattress.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I've been here before and I was doing a triathlon the next day and I needed somewhere to stay I also had my mum with me. So I rang up and I got a friendly greeting over the phone and I got a great deal because I'm a local. The staff are great with their service and we had great budget accommodation. I would fully recommend this Hotel to anyone. It's a cooler climate, good for short and long breaks and for family fun weekends. Had a great time and it was nice to be away from home for a change.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Glad you enjoyed your stay look forward to seeing you next time

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tinaroo
Kookaburra Lodge Motel
#6 of 6 in Atherton
Tinaroo Lake Resort
Tinaroo Lake Resort
#1 of 2 in Tinaroo

Been to Lake Tinaroo Holiday Park? Share your experiences!