“If you like your bacon heated with a hairdryer?”
Review of Feast & Farmin'

Feast & Farmin'
Ranked #13 of 44 Restaurants in Stanthorpe
Description: Serving great indie coffee and delicious, responsibly-sourced food with a Mediterranean twist and a casual vibe. Offering breakfast, lunch, cakes and more, with a range of vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free options - everything we serve is made in house, by hand, with love!
Reviewed September 2, 2018 via mobile

The menu gave us hope but that was however dashed by the sub-par coffees. We assumed by the previous reviews that the food would at least be adequate. Once we saw our breakfast our initial hope dwindled, severely undercooked bacon (grey...?), over and undercooked eggs on the same dish, and I don’t know quite to say about the ‘bread’. Everyone in the restaurant was very polite however never checked on us during the meal. The quality of food was well below anything that should be served at a restaurant.

Yvette G, Owner at Feast & Farmin', responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2018

Thank you for your feedback angeleyez170. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your visit to our cafe but what a shame you didn't advise me or any of my staff at the time or we may have been able to address your concerns then and there.

We work very hard to try to provide a pleasant dining experience for our customers. We have quite a following for our coffee, sourced from a small roaster in Armidale. It's possible that one of my staff may not have been as consistent as usual in their coffee making on the morning of your visit and for that I apologise. If you had brought it to our attention at the time we could have made you another coffee that I would hope would have been more to your liking

The bacon that you describe as 'severely undercooked' and grey is locally sourced nitrate free bacon. We receive lots of positive feedback on this bacon but it does look different to the mass produced bacon most people are used to. I can assure you that it was cooked but, again, had you told us that you prefer your bacon crispy we could have cooked another serve for you to meet your requirements

We make our own bread from scratch and receive many compliments for it but I understand that the heavier, rustic style and the coarse grain from the polenta in it may not be to everyone's taste. Perhaps had you told us at the time that you didn't like it we could have offered you some of our soft house made pita bread instead.

Thank you for your acknowledgement that everyone was polite. They are all supposed to check back with customers but sometimes it's difficult to do so when busy and sometimes customers don't speak up, making it impossible for us to address any concerns they may have. Your comments in his review are a big surprise to me after having several other diners give us very positive feedback over the past weekend. Regardless, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your visit.

Reviewed August 11, 2018 via mobile

Have just left here so very disappointed. Waited nearly a hour - yes you were busy however a table of 6 that came in half hour after us got there breakfast before us until I asked where ours was. It was the worst bacon, eggs and halloumi we've ever eaten. Once it arrived i thought it was odd there was no toast with it, had to ask for this aswell - wish i hadnt it was burnt when arrived. To top this all of we were undercharged and did the right thing to let them know at the start and paid the extra. Coffee was also very average - thought our weekend in stanthorpe we struggled to get good coffee.

1  Thank Simon B
Yvette G, Owner at Feast & Farmin', responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2018

Thank you for your review Simon B. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your visit to my cafe. Perhaps if you had spoken to me or one of my six staff members present at the time of your visit we might have been able to address your issues and concerns in a way that would have enabled you to leave happy.

Last Sunday was incredibly busy - we served approximately 100 hot food items but only had one table of two people booked. My staff worked as quickly and efficiently as they could to try to welcome and serve everyone. Many customers complimented us on their food and drinks and how well my staff were coping with the huge crowd.

We always attend to the meal dockets in the order in which they come into the kitchen, with the possible exception of small or simple orders that can be easily filled without preceding dockets being slowed down. It's possible that the people who you believe received their order before you had actually come to the counter to order another round of coffees/drinks as they waited patiently for the meals they had ordered before you arrived, as a few tables did that morning, or their order was a simple one that could be dispatched whilst we waited for yours to cook.

As it happened, you asked where your meals were just as they were being plated and when our staff member reported this back to you she was left feeling as though you didn't believe her. The plates did come out immediately after this and your plate was whisked away from the kitchen before the toast could be placed on it. The toast was ready and waiting for the waiter to collect it by the time she came back to see where it was. It's unfortunate that you didn't tell us immediately that the toast was too dark for your liking as we could have done a replacement piece for you.

I'm curious as to what was the problem with the bacon, eggs and haloumi to make them the worst you've ever eaten - and yet you didn't speak to me or one of my six staff to let us know at the time. Please feel free to email me further details so that I may address your concerns thoroughly. We use local free range, nitrate free bacon which many customers tell us they thoroughly enjoy.

Thank you for your honesty re the undercharge - although the staff member involved tells me she thanked you at the time, it's worth noting since you have brought it up again. I don't think you paid extra, simply the price of your meals. Have I missed something? Should we have refused your money because of your honesty?

I'm sorry our coffee didn't meet with your expectations. We sell a lot of coffee here and have a lot of out of town visitors buy our ground coffee or coffee beans to take home with them because they have enjoyed it so much. Unfortunately we can't please everyone.

For future reference, if you had spoken to me or my senior staff at the time to voice your disappointment with our food and coffee we would have done whatever we could to address your concerns. We could have replaced your meal/s and given you something else to drink, possibly even refunded your money. Unfortunately, once you leave there is very little I can do to make things right. I hope you have better luck in the future finding the kind of breakfast and coffee you prefer.

Reviewed August 7, 2018 via mobile

Enjoyed breakfast at this cafe while I visited STANTHORPE,
A Cup on take away large Tea is $6.
That is the most I ever paid for a cup of take away tea !!
They ran out of bacon that morning !!!
Be aware on Sunday’s the cafe closes at 11.30 am .
I arrived at 11.26 on Sunday and the lady serving me said kitchen closed .
I said is was not 11.30 and they took my order .
I waited over half a hour just to get eggs cooked your way and had to get grilled tomatoes as they ran out of BACON.

What cafe runs out of bacon !!
Would not go back there for breakfast again !

Yvette G, Owner at Feast & Farmin', responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2018

Thanks for your review Jenny.

My cafe closes at 12 pm on Sundays and the kitchen closes at 11.30am. On the day of your visit we were exceptionally and unexpectedly busy. According to our clock, you arrived after 11.30 and the staff member who first attended to you came and asked me if we could still take your order. Since we were still working our way through the last few orders, I said we would make an exception for you. When she told me that you wanted to order our $10 bacon and eggs (not at all expensive) I told her that we were just plating the last portion of bacon.

We use locally grown and processed bacon in the café and our usual supplier had been unable to fill our usual order due to the death of a family member but we had managed to source bacon from another local supplier. We thought we had enough to cover our usual busy Sunday service but that morning we had served almost double the usual number of breakfasts before you arrived.

Thankfully, bacon was the only thing we had run out of so you had plenty of other options. Unfortunately, rather than looking at the menu, you proceeded to ask our junior staff member so many questions that she came back to us in the kitchen for help. A senior member of staff was able to direct you to the menu and get your order but had to listen to your derogatory remarks about our 14 year old, who we think is an amazing little worker.

I'm not sure why you ordered a large takeaway tea since you ate on the deck of my café. You apparently questioned why you hadn't yet received your meal after less than 15 minutes. Despite the wait you hadn't collected your own cutlery and a serviette by the time your meal arrived and then proceeded to call that staff member rude for pointing you in the right direction to obtain those items.

Everything we serve is made to order from good quality ingredients. Your tea was made from loose leaf, high quality tea. A pot was made, allowed to draw properly then poured into your large takeaway cup - an environmentally friendly one at that. Surely you would expect to pay for the time spent and the products used.

You haven't commented on whether you enjoyed your meal and drink so your comment appears to be solely based on what you thought was poor service and an expensive cup of tea. I'm sorry you weren't happy but in hindsight I should have told my staff that the kitchen was closed and saved us all a lot of trouble.

Reviewed August 4, 2018 via mobile

Gorgeous setting a street off the main in town. Country service with a smile but efficient despite being busy .. food was awesome ... best porridge I’ve ever had

Yvette G, Owner at Feast & Farmin', responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2018

Thanks for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 29, 2018 via mobile

Stopped in for a nice breakfast and unfortunately have had to wait over 20mins for food to come out and there is only 2 other couples in here . Wouldn’t recommend .. cutting into our wine touring . Very disappointing .

1  Thank Lilly Z
Yvette G, Owner at Feast & Farmin', responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2018

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your visit to our cafe. When we first read your review we tried to figure out when you came in and why you might have waited so long for your breakfast with only two other couples present and we have been unable to figure it out.

We try very hard to fill our orders as quickly as possible but many of our breakfast orders take at least 10 minutes to complete as we cook everything from scratch on the premises. This does mean that the timing of previous orders might mean that yours takes 15-20 minutes simply because we are working on those orders first.

Had you said something to myself or one of my staff members at the time we may have been able to explain the delay or done something to try to make it up to you. Alternatively, had you told us at the time of ordering that you were in a hurry we could have advised you on what would be the best items to order for a quick getaway.