“Bad experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sarina
Sarina Palms Caravan Village
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This well kept park, with it flower beds and extremely clean amenities was marred by the manner and attitude of the owner. On arrival, we were told to drive around the corner and an employee would meet us there and direct us on to our site. He gave no indication as to where we should stop and my husband assumed we would be reversing onto site. Fortunately, I got out of the car and realised we were supposed to actually drive through the closest sites to another further in the park. This meant having to reverse the caravan back down the street and then drive over the gutter bridge. The man supposedly assisting was very little help and if I hadn't been out of the car, the caravan would have gone off the side of the bridge. This lack of direction continued as he attempted to place us on site and I had to take over after he kept trying to get my husband to reverse when the caravan wheels were jammed against the concrete slab. After returning from a drive, my husband parked across the front of the caravan and well off the road. The owner, Dennis, immediately rushed over and in a very patronising manner, pointed out that the grass was green and he wanted it to stay that way; we were to park the car immediately in front of the caravan and close to the road.
Next morning, as we were packing up, Dennis again came over, completely ignored me and told my husband how he was to hitch up and which way we were to exit. Dennis used his footwear to demonstrate the angles. His whole manner was patronising and we were spoken to as if we were complete idiots who had never been near a caravan before. He said he would be back to direct us off site. As my husband got into the car to reverse, Dennis again came over and attempted to tell him how to reverse. My husband said we knew how to hitch up and would call Dennis when we were ready to leave. At no time did Dennis even acknowledge my presence. When we were hitched, my husband called to Dennis, who came over in a very threatening and aggressive manner. He very rudely said he would not help us as my husband was one of those people who thought he knew better than anyone else what to do. His whole manner was very abusive and threatening.
This owner obviously forgets that customers are necessary for his livelihood and we, for one, will not be staying again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Mary23Australia
Judy408, Owner at Sarina Palms Caravan Village, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Hello, we do not have any bridges into the park only the normal cross overs. We help every customer to their site, but the customer told the employee to shutup and go away as his wife was on the two way and that was her job. The next morning, Dennis, the owner went over to see if he needed a hand to hook up and was told to go away in the same manner as he told the employee. It was his wife's job to help him do that. So he was then left to himself.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Located in a quiet back street about 15 minutes walk from the town centre with beautiful lawns and gardens. Assistance was provided with parking. The amenities are very clean. My only complaint would be the over abundance of rules and regulations, these are everywhere. For instance we were not allowed to use mats on the grass, we have a back door caravan so cannot utilise pads. This I can understand if we were staying weeks but for short term stays I think unnecessary. The Manager also tends to be e little abrupt. That said have no hesitation in recommending the park.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank noelandmaxine
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Situated opposite the Swimming Pool in Sarena this is a small but well-appointed Caravan Park. The cabins are very well looked after and the caravan sites are likewise, although it may not be capable of taking very (very) large vans. It appears that the operators (owners?) have gone (and go) to a lot of trouble to look after their park. All the usual facilities are easily accessible and I would recommend this park for most travellers

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sydfire
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed at this park a wee ago and it was only a pre booked park in another place that prevented us from staying longer. We found the help onto the site by Dennis invaluable and totally stress free. We found his manner friendly and in no way patronising. Nothing was too much trouble and any questions we had were answered straight away. Judy checked us in and passed over several pieces of information on Sarina and the surrounding area. Each morning and afternoon tea they were present to chat with guests in the "meeting place" , tea and coffee was free just byo mug.The park amenities, gardens and grounds were immaculate and both Judy and Dennis are to be commended for that, yes, he may be fussy about the lawns but that is why the park looks as good as it does. We had a good look around the park while we were there and could not fault any of the sites at all. As far as we are concerned a lot of other parks, managers and owners could take a leaf out their book as far as customer service and value for money is concerned, believe me we have stayed in some horrendous parks on horrendous sites for much more money and have learnt very quickly that not many parks in reality, look anything like how they are portrayed in the Qld Caravan Parks Magazine. Would we go back to Sarina Palms Caravan Village again, you betcha..in a heart beat.

Room Tip: Make sure you tell park management what you want as it is only then that they can meet your requests...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Possum1953
Judy408, Owner at Sarina Palms Caravan Village, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Your thoughts are appreciated and look forward to seeing you again in the future. Judy

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We only stayed here on our way south because we were meeting up with my daughter and her husband who are caravanning around Australia. Checkin was abrupt and we did not feel very welcome. Explicit instructions with hand directions were given to us on where and how to park as though we were learner drivers. When my daughter was leaving they were instructed not to hook up their caravan brakes till they were off the grass in case they damaged the lawn. The cabin was basic and clean but checkout was at 9.30am and there is no eftpos or credit charge facility. There did not appear to be a remote for the aircon (even though we did not need it) and the aircon was so high up we could not reach it. We would not consider staying there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank JanMushroom
Judy408, Owner at Sarina Palms Caravan Village, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

At Sarina Palms Caravan Village, we take the time to take each guest to accomodation or caravan site and show them where to park. Reason being we have had one accident in 11 years and we do not want another one. Safety is our main concern. When grass is wet we do ask people to release their brakes on their van because brakes lock up. We have manicured lawns and gardens and wish to keep it this way for all guests.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Although this place was clean and neat the service and unfriendliness of this park on signage and rules would stop me staying there again. These are the reasons no eftpos or credit facilities cash only, unfriendly manner on phone at time pf booking, 930am checkout or a fee charged, three of us stayed and we were given only two chairs two coffee and sugar sachets as far as we could fond only two cakes of soap for all of us. The signage in the rooms was very abrupt and blunt. This park was a long way short on pleasantness and friendly service in comparison to the other parks we visited. We paid 125 dollars for a self contained villa for the night and basically got services for two people only .

• Stayed: April 2013
5  Thank Stingrae62
Judy408, Owner at Sarina Palms Caravan Village, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Hello, At the time of booking, you were given detailed directions on how to find us, to make it easier for you as well, at the same time you were told we did not have eftpos facility, it this was a major problem you could have not taken the booking. Our aim is to please not displease and we apologise for any inconvenience.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

Sarina Palms Caravan Village, 31 Anzac Street, Sarina, 4737

Sun. 15/7

Around a week in advance of our intended arrival, I rang the above named Park and spoke with a lady named Judy. I said at the time that we would like to stay for a couple of nights but if the sites were anything like depicted on their internet site, we would preferably stay for a week. Judy replied that nothing had changed and to just park out the front and they would look after us. At the time I said nothing about a slab site and neither did Judy.
After spending four very wet days and nights in Yepoon on a very muddy site, we were looking forward to our stopover at Sarina. A long drive in steady rain saw us arrive at Sarina at around 3pm. Immediately on entering the Park I was met by the owner, Dennis, who showed me the site they intended for us and he stated immediately that he would prefer if we didn’t stay as. The wet conditions he stated would be likely to churn up the site.
Firstly-The site Dennis showed me in no way represented any of the immaculate sites depicted on the Internet. Secondly-Dennis had not thought it appropriate to perhaps phone us in advance to let us know there might be a problem. Thirdly-Neither Dennis, nor his wife, had any alternate options for us or any advice as to where we might find accommodation at such late notice. Fourthly-Dennis displayed a very “smart alec” attitude with comments such as “you should have stayed where you were” and asking a long-term visitor if they would mind shifting for us. Dennis might have received a more severe response with someone of not such a placid disposition. My wife and I were flabbergasted by this situation and particularly at the attitude of the owners. I could understand if we just turned up seeking a site, but this was not the case. We had rang days in advance and made a booking. Being our first time in Queensland, we had no idea about the area or where we might now go. Neither Dennis nor Judy seemed to have any concerns about this and appeared happy just to see us go. Fortunately other Park owners in both the Sarina and Mackay districts were more helpful in assisting us with finding somewhere to stay for the night.
From seeing some of the van sites that were occupied at this Park, I can understand why those people would be very happy with their position and they are most likely well looked after. However, I can only relate my experience with these people. Further, the site we were going to be allocated was not in any way similar to those pictured on the Internet. Regardless of any of the above, lack of courtesy and care in a hospitality industry is inexcusable. To my mind, Dennis’ “smart alec” comments put him in the “Basil Fawlty” league.
My wife and I are experienced caravanners, currently enjoying a stay in our 112th park in over 12 years of travelling around Australia. We have stayed in a wide range of accommodation over this time and have noted many varying standards of sites and amenities. One constant however, has been the friendly and helpful attitude of owner/managers/staff that we have encountered along the way. There is always an exception however. .
I write the above comments being fully aware that our experience seems to be at odds with comments I have seen from others whom have attended this park. I do note that at least one other person has had a similar experience with a booking not being honoured.

19  Thank PALynch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarina
Tramway Motel
MAS Country Tandara Hotel Motel
No photo provided
Carlon's Hotel
#2 of 4 in Sarina

Been to Sarina Palms Caravan Village? Share your experiences!