“Basic cabin and not Welcoming”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sarina
Sarina Palms Caravan Village
Newcastle, Australia
“Basic cabin and not Welcoming”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We only stayed here on our way south because we were meeting up with my daughter and her husband who are caravanning around Australia. Checkin was abrupt and we did not feel very welcome. Explicit instructions with hand directions were given to us on where and how to park as though we were learner drivers. When my daughter was leaving they were instructed not to hook up their caravan brakes till they were off the grass in case they damaged the lawn. The cabin was basic and clean but checkout was at 9.30am and there is no eftpos or credit charge facility. There did not appear to be a remote for the aircon (even though we did not need it) and the aircon was so high up we could not reach it. We would not consider staying there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JanMushroom
Judy408, Owner at Sarina Palms Caravan Village, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
At Sarina Palms Caravan Village, we take the time to take each guest to accomodation or caravan site and show them where to park. Reason being we have had one accident in 11 years and we do not want another one. Safety is our main concern. When grass is wet we do ask people to release their brakes on their van because brakes lock up. We have manicured lawns and gardens and wish to keep it this way for all guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Yeppoon, Australia
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Although this place was clean and neat the service and unfriendliness of this park on signage and rules would stop me staying there again. These are the reasons no eftpos or credit facilities cash only, unfriendly manner on phone at time pf booking, 930am checkout or a fee charged, three of us stayed and we were given only two chairs two coffee and sugar sachets as far as we could fond only two cakes of soap for all of us. The signage in the rooms was very abrupt and blunt. This park was a long way short on pleasantness and friendly service in comparison to the other parks we visited. We paid 125 dollars for a self contained villa for the night and basically got services for two people only .

• Stayed April 2013
5 Thank Stingrae62
Judy408, Owner at Sarina Palms Caravan Village, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Hello, At the time of booking, you were given detailed directions on how to find us, to make it easier for you as well, at the same time you were told we did not have eftpos facility, it this was a major problem you could have not taken the booking. Our aim is to please not displease and we apologise for any inconvenience.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Sarina Palms Caravan Village, 31 Anzac Street, Sarina, 4737

Sun. 15/7

Around a week in advance of our intended arrival, I rang the above named Park and spoke with a lady named Judy. I said at the time that we would like to stay for a couple of nights but if the sites were anything like depicted on their internet site, we would preferably stay for a week. Judy replied that nothing had changed and to just park out the front and they would look after us. At the time I said nothing about a slab site and neither did Judy.
After spending four very wet days and nights in Yepoon on a very muddy site, we were looking forward to our stopover at Sarina. A long drive in steady rain saw us arrive at Sarina at around 3pm. Immediately on entering the Park I was met by the owner, Dennis, who showed me the site they intended for us and he stated immediately that he would prefer if we didn’t stay as. The wet conditions he stated would be likely to churn up the site.
Firstly-The site Dennis showed me in no way represented any of the immaculate sites depicted on the Internet. Secondly-Dennis had not thought it appropriate to perhaps phone us in advance to let us know there might be a problem. Thirdly-Neither Dennis, nor his wife, had any alternate options for us or any advice as to where we might find accommodation at such late notice. Fourthly-Dennis displayed a very “smart alec” attitude with comments such as “you should have stayed where you were” and asking a long-term visitor if they would mind shifting for us. Dennis might have received a more severe response with someone of not such a placid disposition. My wife and I were flabbergasted by this situation and particularly at the attitude of the owners. I could understand if we just turned up seeking a site, but this was not the case. We had rang days in advance and made a booking. Being our first time in Queensland, we had no idea about the area or where we might now go. Neither Dennis nor Judy seemed to have any concerns about this and appeared happy just to see us go. Fortunately other Park owners in both the Sarina and Mackay districts were more helpful in assisting us with finding somewhere to stay for the night.
From seeing some of the van sites that were occupied at this Park, I can understand why those people would be very happy with their position and they are most likely well looked after. However, I can only relate my experience with these people. Further, the site we were going to be allocated was not in any way similar to those pictured on the Internet. Regardless of any of the above, lack of courtesy and care in a hospitality industry is inexcusable. To my mind, Dennis’ “smart alec” comments put him in the “Basil Fawlty” league.
My wife and I are experienced caravanners, currently enjoying a stay in our 112th park in over 12 years of travelling around Australia. We have stayed in a wide range of accommodation over this time and have noted many varying standards of sites and amenities. One constant however, has been the friendly and helpful attitude of owner/managers/staff that we have encountered along the way. There is always an exception however. .
I write the above comments being fully aware that our experience seems to be at odds with comments I have seen from others whom have attended this park. I do note that at least one other person has had a similar experience with a booking not being honoured.

19 Thank PALynch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarina
Tramway Motel
#2 of 4 in Sarina
No photo provided
Ilbilbie Motel
#4 of 4 in Sarina

Been to Sarina Palms Caravan Village? Share your experiences!