“Hundreds of motels later I think I have found the worst or close to it”
Review of Kings Motor Inn

Kings Motor Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Roma B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“Hundreds of motels later I think I have found the worst or close to it”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

After staying in hundreds of motels this one is among the worst. The attitude of the woman owner/or manager was definitely the worst I have come across. The motel prides itself on its steaks however my order of a medium-rare steak was served up as medium to well done. Credit due it was replaced with a good steak. That is where any credit due stops. When paying for a $38 steak you expect it to be served as ordered. My wife is not a big eater so often orders an entree for her main meal. She was served 6 small pieces of squid (frozen packet we suspect) for a cost of $16. Not the worst squid we’ve had but close. The woman (owner/manager) who served us in the restaurant was wearing thongs/flip flops which I’m sure WH&S would not be impressed with. The room, a little small but adequate. Unfortunately the motel feels the need to spray copious amounts of air freshener in the room which did not disappear the whole time (one night) we were there. Even with the windows open & the A/C on the smell did not go (too bad if you are asthmatic). Wall between our room & the next was just about paper thin. Throughout the night we could hear the guest in the next room snoring his head off. On checking out I mentioned these points just as passing comments to the woman who served us in the restaurant the night before. Her comment was “what do you expect me to do about it?” I said perhaps take my comments on board & try to make some improvements so other guest do not have the same experience. The reply was “I can’t do anything I’m only the manager”. I suggested that she could pass my comments on to them & she replied that they would not care. Also during the latter part of our discussion she told me she could do what she liked at the motel as she was the owner. I pointed out that a couple of minutes earlier that she said she was the manager to which she then got a bit flustered (did she lie to me?). By that time she had given me my receipt & I left in absolute amazement. In short it would appear the owners (or is it managers) have no interest in the traveling tourist as they have a very high occupancy rate (probably 100% most days) due to the resources boom that is going on in the area. Suggest stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel/motel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank David A

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Kings motor inn and steakhouse is located on the main road /highway in Roma so it can be a bit noisy. It has a steakhouse restaurant attached to it which serves what I believe to be the best steaks around. It is a bit old and needs some major work but the owner said that the whole place will hopefully be upgraded by the end of the year. As stated above, it is comfortable apart from the highway noise. I will stay there again if I get the chance and I cant wait to see the new hotel renovations at the end of the year.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the road and ask for a verandah room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I booked for three nights but charged for four nights because I didn't checked out by 10 am. They didn't had a courtesy to call me if i was staying for another night. What a service! I advise visitors not to go there at all!

Lady was the rudest person I ever met ! I've travelled around Queensland for work for so many years and never encountered such an attitude! For example they have a policy that breakfast order to be made by 7pm. I didn't finished work until late and got to hotel by 715 and this lady told me its too late. Come on its only a couple of eggs and bacon Christ sake! And in Roma??? And the meal is for next day ??

I will never return to that hotel and would advised visitors or all future customers not to even consider staying there you will be treated like an idiot!

Trip advisor please don't put this hotel in your list? Everyone please?

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Claire389

Travelers are raving about these Roma hotels

Gold Coast, Qld
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Having to stay at 2 different motels on a recent trip to Roma for business, this was not a good experience. The rooms are expensive for the style, just a 'donger' 'portable' and $200 a night. We ate at the Steakhouse and while there was only us and one other table in the whole restaurant it took near on an hour for our meal to come out, steak and Vege. The Starks were ordered medium rare and medium. They came out medium well done and well done! They did offer to rebook when we mentioned this, though after the hour wait we were starving. At $35 a steak, very poor service, poor quality steak and overlooked. Also only came with a small serve of stir fry Vege, so not sure what the hour was for. As it was a work trip we needed an itemized account which proved quite difficult and we were advised next time we would need to phone ahead and tell them we would be wanting an itemized account ?? We did let them know the night before checkout...but somehow it is very difficult??

Room Tip: Avoid the restaurant. Eat in town
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business