Roma Explorers Inn Motel & Function Centre
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Roma
Batemans Bay, New South Wales, Australia
“Roadshow”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I found the motel very good,the rooms were clean an when you are on the road 24-7 we certainly need nothing but the best. Meals were very good ,staff very helpful,overall not a problem....Myself and a sales rep had stayed there before an it was also as good as the previous stay.I might say that we do have problems parking a very large vehicle an that is most important an this motel did the job.

Room Tip: Check it out.....
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
RomaTeam, General Manager at Roma Explorers Inn Motel & Function Centre, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment. Since building our new conference centre and the carpark to go with it, we can now easily allow offstreet parking for larger trucks, cars with trailers/caravans and buses. Unfortunately the law does not allow larger vehicles to park roadside within the 60km zone in town and parking outside your motel can be difficult as most are within this limit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Thanks, what a great place to stay, I travel for work, so I sleep in about 10 motel beds per month & this is the first review I have ever done, because i was throughly impressed by the best motel & restaurant I have been to, including 5 stars in Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney or Melbourne. Service was excellent. The Meal at the Restaurant was all 5 star, except the $$. I had the Venision, cooked prefectly & at only just over $30, was better then any I have ever had. Even through the Company paid, I would have gladly paid that myself, having 30 years experience in the food industry, I can tell you this is a place batting well above the average for a regional motel restaurant, the rooms were perfect, and the staff were excellent. Well Done, I will be back for my next trip to Roma.

Room Tip: not a bad one
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Wazza1971
RomaTeam, Owner at Roma Explorers Inn Motel & Function Centre, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Oh my gosh, what a fantastic review. I have passed on your comments with our congratulations to all staff. People just don't realise how difficult it is to obtain staff in regional towns that can do the job and are so quick to judge. We do not have the manpower available to us that the big cities do therefore it is so encouraging to know that our guests feel we are somewhat on par with the bigger picture. It has certainly given all staff a boost and we look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit.
NZ
Reviewed July 12, 2012

When visiting Roma make sure you book well in advance, the town is packed with drillers and miners making accommodation difficult to get aand expensive. However reading the menu we wondered if the restaurant which was really busy could live up to expectations. Both our meals were superb, of a standard that wins awards in the bigger cities in Australia. The duck was wonderfully cooked and the combination of jus and vegetables inspired. My partners Eye Fillet steak was perfectly cooked and succulent. The trio of chocolate desserts were a masterpiece and all this was complemented by friendly efficient staff in spite of being so busy. My compliments.

Room Tip: Book well in advance
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
RomaTeam, Manager at Roma Explorers Inn Motel & Function Centre, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
Thank you so very much for your review. The duck is one of my favourite dishes and I am extremely pleased you found it so delicious as well. We try to offer the locals and visitors to the region something a little different and have some very clever chefs working behind the scenes making this happen. We are about to launch our new menu in the next week with veal scaloppini with tiger prawns being at the top of my list to try and ricotta dumplings with cinnamon crunch and pear parfait for dessert. You must come again to try!!!
Charleville, Australia
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Being very aware of how difficult it is to find accommodation in Roma, I booked my room five weeks in advance for a one night stay. Around three weeks before our arrival I called to change from a single room to a family suite so my mother could join my two children and I for a visit to the Orthodontist. Arrived at 5.30pm to check-in "sorry no room available for you". Too late to travel home at night. Judy was extremely rude and unhelpful, she could find the original room I had booked but did not apologise for any error in rebooking. I asked to use internet to try and find last minute accommodation (which is nearly impossible in Roma due to mining). Very upset as I thought we would be sleeping in the car that night. Fortunately we were offered a room at another motel which had a last minute cancellation. All in all so disappointing and could have been a very different ending if we had to drive 300km home at night. I do not believe anything management can write in defence of this situation will be appropriate. Lesson learnt always check the booking before you leave home.

Room Tip: Don't take for granted that you have a room booked
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Natalie M
I have investigated what happened to your booking and it was cancelled on June the 18th at 2.40pm via a phone call. I have checked to see whether there were any other bookings of the same name on the same date that should have been cancelled instead of yours and there was nothing. Our procedures for cancellation are very thorough - we ask the last name, then the first name and the date of the booking. As you can imagine we have hundreds of records and we must be extremely careful we are not cancelling the wrong booking.

You arrived when reception was extremely busy with other guests checking in and phones ringing. Judy asked if you wouldn't mind waiting until she had checked in other guests then she would assist you in finding accommodation. During this time you went on our guest's free internet and found another place in Roma to stay and left the premises.

This was to be your second stay with us and I am glad that you felt our standards met your requirements enough for you to make another booking. It is a good idea to double check travel arrangements before leaving home - we have had many guests turn up here when they have booked the Explorers Inn, Roma Street, Brisbane thinking it was us.
Strathalbyn
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I have had the pleasure of visiting Roma on two occasions in the last three months. In total I have stayed at the Explorers for six nights. From any angle outstanding, friendly, courteous, excellent. The food is fantastic, the rooms spacious, modern, clean. Very quiet. I have run out of superlatives. My final message is GO VISIT.

Room Tip: You will need to book well in advance, Roma is boom town.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank MangaStrathalbyn
Thank you for your kind words. It really means a lot to all concerned to be reassured that their commitment to providing good service is being noticed. A copy of your comments has been displayed on the noticeboard in all departments.
Brisbane
Reviewed September 5, 2011

31 August 2011 we stayed at the Roma Explorers Inn and 4 December 2011. On the 31 August we ordered room service and received the worst meal we have ever been served.

We did not complain because we were returning on 4 September 2011 and felt this could impact us in a place where accommodation is difficult to get.

4 September 2011 we returned as previously booked. We asked if the same chef was on? Not gaining any assurance regarding this we elected to make baked beans on toast in the apartment. We rinsed and neatly stacked the 4 bowls 2 plates and 2 cups on the sink.

5 September 2011 we discovered an unauthorised charge of $25 against our credit card.

When we contacted the office regarding this charge we were advised we should have put the dishes in the dishwasher and started it and the charge would not have been made. We paid $169 for the 'doubtful pleasure' of staying at this motel. We deny there was a sign advising of this charge and will never stay at this place again. When the current mining boom is over this kind of attitude will come back to bite this place.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Maxine C
RomaTeam, Manager at Roma Explorers Inn Motel & Function Centre, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Why am I not surprised you have created an account so you could post your comments. Did the radio station you threatened to broadcast from not think your story worthy enough - I say this is probably the case.

For those of you reading these comments, these have come about by a person claiming they had the "Worst Meal Ever" four days after they had it and expecting a refund. No comment was made to management about this either on the night or at check out the following morning - wouldn't you if you had had a bad meal. When asked why they hadn't said something about this on the night, the response was your office was closed. The meal was delivered at 6.45pm, our office closes at 9.00pm giving ample time to call. Your comment that you were afraid your booking may be cancelled for your next stay if you said anything at the time is your second version of excuses you have made. I can not think of one Motel in Roma that would even contemplate such action ..... in fact, much the opposite. When questioned what was wrong with the meal the only negative response was the "potatoes were not cooked in the middle" - not really something you would make public and label the worst meal.

With regards to the sign in the room about washing the dishes - this sign is permanently located above the sink where you rinsed your dishes. I personally made sure the sign was there before authorising the charge to your credit card ..... you had signed our sign in sheet that states you give Roma Explorers Inn the authority to charge your credit card for any charges incurred by yourself. We did not need to call to ask your permission as you had already signed off on this. Rinsing the dishes and expecting us to put them away in the cupboard is not hygienic - they need to go into the dishwasher as explained on the sign.

It is a shame that you have become so vindictive towards us through your own actions. The meal would have been gladly refunded had we been made aware of it on the night and the dishes left in the sink, I do not believe you didn't see the sign as you were on the phone first thing the next morning to ask what the charge was for. You must have been expecting it and thought by leaving the dishes that this would, in some way, make up for the perceived 'worst meal" you had had four days earlier. So if you were speeding and didn't see the sign, would you use the same excuse to the Policeman?

We are the first to admit when we are wrong or can improve our service and welcome constructive criticism but unfortunately, there is nothing constructive in yours to take on board, nor would it be a "great help" to those contemplating staying here.
Whitsunday Island, Australia
Reviewed May 2, 2011

I travel to many places around Australia and have stayed in some pretty outlandish accommodation but I must say, for a regional town, this motel is tops. From the moment you step in the door this place exudes professionalism. This place is a credit to the owners, it is well laid out and rooms well off the highway with parking outside the door. The rooms are large with everything you would need. I was upgraded to one of the new apartments and was pleasantly surprised at what they contained. Comfortable lounge chairs, foot stool, flat screen TV, kitchen, table and chairs, all you would need if you intended to stay a while. I had already booked a table in the restaurant so really didn't need all these facilities but would imagine these would be great rooms for people wanting to stay a while.

The restaurant meal was beyond what I had expected of a country town and breakfast way equally as good the following morning. $19.50 for a full buffet breakfast is definitely value for money.

The managers and staff are more than obliging. I had difficulty starting my car the next morning. Peter the Manager couldn't have been more helpful running me into town to attend my 8.00am meeting while the Reception staff arranged for the RACQ to attend to my car. When I returned at 1.00pm everything had been fixed and I was able to continue on to Dalby.

I will definitely be staying here from now on.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Liketalkin
RomaTeam, General Manager at Roma Explorers Inn Motel & Function Centre, responded to this review, May 4, 2011
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate you taking the time to write about our property as we are striving to provide the best possible service to every guest. It is our Mission for 2011.