“Plastic sheeting on bed!”

A & A Motel Proserpine
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Proserpine
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The last time I needed plastic under sheeting on a bed was 60 years ago when I slept in a bassinet. Couldn't believe it and would have taken it off but then thought it might have been there to protect ME against possible inhabitants of the mattress.
Like most Qld motels this is way overpriced. Clean enough and seems to have been recently reprinted. The wi-if only works if you stand with your laptop up against the window, the TV reception was dodgy at times (ABC1) and it's a noisy soulless building with a desultory pool which was out of action anyway.
Stay elsewhere unless you are desperate - my guess is this would be the last motel in town to book out!

Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed for work and was lucky to get a rating 3 out of 5. Given that Airlie Beach is not too far away, that would probably be a better option. However, if you do need to stay in Proserpine its not the worst accommodation I've stayed at - but certainly not inspiring! Does the job - just....

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Early start the next morning in Proserpine, so I decided against staying in Airlie, which I usually do 3 or 4 times a year. Arrival was fine, parking was fine, room a decent size but tired. The lights go off at 9.30pm outside, no communication or discussion to be entered into. The walls are very thin (as are the curtains in regards to light) and you can hear your neighbours turning on showers and flushing the loo the next morning. And if that does not wake you, the sound of guests starting their cars will. There is nothing between you and the outside world in regards to sound buffers. Expect to wake up very early.

Being early for work by now, I set my computer up inside to get some work done, and when I sat on the chair it broke. I worked outside on a metal chair and table for an hour, then packed and left after telling the cleaner about the chair. Considering the central location when doing business In Proserpine it is unfortunate the motel should be a last resort.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
LeahDannyB2014, Manager at A & A Motel Proserpine, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2015

Sorry for your bad experience.
Our motel is under new management from November 2014 & is currently being refurbished as well.
We hope you come & stay again & enjoy our hospitality.

Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night on the way south, a little old and tired, but that aside quite happy. Must say it did have the best free tea/coffee etc. I've ever come across including Milo & chocolate chip cookies.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 20, 2012

we were traveling up to Cairns by car from Brisbane and had been unable to find a stopover for our second night on the road between Rockhampton and Townsville.n. The lovely receptionist - Angie - at the Citywalk, Rockhampton called ahead and found this for us. It was basic and a 'bit tired' but clean and comfortable and offered free wifi which is more than can said for most of the upmarket expensive places. It was as fore than adequate for a alone night stop.
the owner/manager was very pleasant,helpful and polite.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Littlegopher1
Reviewed July 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed 1 night at this Proserpine motel while driving up the east coast of Australia. When we arrived and checked in the owner said that we had already paid. We didn't think we had, although of course we had had to provide credit card details when making the online booking. When we returned home at the end of our holiday my husband checked the credit card statement and found that we had indeed paid for our room before we arrived, our payment had been charged the day after we made the online booking 3 weeks earlier! Not usual practice I don't think. The room itself was OK although dated in decor and furnishings. I wouldn't stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank sheilasydney2060
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Picture the scene: We were having drinks with friends staying in the complex and using the pool. This is not allowed – fraternising with the opposite sex!!! Shock horror. Later we went to a knees up at the local and came back to the motel for a few drinks after. The hotelier came out and started ranting at us that we were terrible people, sinfull in fact. So we decided that to avoid arguments we would stay at the motel our other mates were at down the road...off we pop. Admittedly it was fairly late but we made considerable effort to keep the noise down and were more or less the only residents in the motel, staying at the furthest end. Besides no-one had informed us that there was a 9’0’clock curfew , no-one certainly guessed at what was to come the next morning.

We went back to the motel the next day and the hotelier pounced on us accusing us of breaking the pool gate and wanted to charge us $500 for damage and said that he had called the police and filed a charge against us. We refused to pay and he kept our belongings hostage threatening us with more police charges and telling us to leave our vehicle keys with him as “security”. He also said that the police would be charging us with “conspiracy”. Conspiracy for what we weren’t sure...perhaps conspiring to have a nice trip. He then again accused us of being sinful and wanton and disgracing his hotel by sharing his rooms with members of the opposite sex. When we told him that we had actually stayed at the very pleasant motel down the road he flat out refused to believe us and added “liars” to his ever increasing plethora of false accusations. We later discovered that he also accused our friends of the same damage and tried to falsely claim money from them also. He then threw a pair of my shoes onto the road. Charming.

This man is delusional, rude and threatening and somewhat of a con-man it would seem. In hindsight I should have asked him to call the police to sort the matter out in our favour. I have never been spoken to so rudely in my entire life, and never wish to be again. I felt threatened by this man and affronted at being so falsely accused. This man is not willing to have a reasonable conversation, his opinion, it would seem, is the only one. I Shudder now to think of him.

Do not let this put you off visiting Proserpine, it is a lovely wee town close to both Mackay and Arlie Beach.

Consider this a public health warning against a certain ranting hotelier.

Nb: As a motel this is fairly adequate... If you are planning on going to bed at 6 am not talking to anyone else in the complex. The rooms are clean if a little dated and tired and in fairness ours was a really good size, not that we got to actually sleep in it. Perhaps a little overpriced due to the datedness of the place.

Room Tip: Stay down the road