“Beautiful B&B in a fantastic location but had to leave after the first night.”

Mossman Gorge Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 4 Mossman B&B and Inns
Cheshire
“Beautiful B&B in a fantastic location but had to leave after the first night.”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed here with my partner (both in our early 20's) in December 2012 and had originally booked four nights stay but ended up staying for one night as we simply were not enjoying our time there. We have travelled all over the world in very lush locations like this one so we were very excited for our stay.

On arrival, we were greeted by Mandy. I was not sure whether she was expecting us or not as I have e-mailed in previously to let her know we would be arriving a little late due to a change of plan (around 7pm) and had no reply which was odd as we had very quick replies previously. I know that Mandy cannot exactly e-mail back saying no that's not OK and send us back to Cairns but the website does state that the B&B prefers check ins before 8pm so I was expecting a reply to say thats OK.

The B&B is very beautiful, spacious and comfortable with plenty of area for relaxation, BBQ's and even watching the television outside. The B&B is well decorated and looked after. I was very excited for the 4 days we had to come. We paid the extra for the Deluxe Queen room which was lovely. The breakfast was nice with lots of choice and watching Mandy feed the kookaburras in the morning was amazing. Mandy is very helpful and is happy to answer any questions about the B&B or local area. Her service was excellent.

The first and only night we stayed here, neither of us got any sleep. It was not the sounds of the many creatures in the valley (which is actually very relaxing) but the 5 flying cockroach type things that kept us up all night. (I cant remeber the name) Mandy told us that they were harmless and of course I believe that and I have no problem with bugs in the room. I understand that they are going to find their way into your room, especially in such a lush location but I simply could not rest as every time I got relaxed, I would find another in the pillow or in the bed. I could not go into the bathroom as they had found their way into the toilet and I could not rest in the lounge area either. One very large bug even found its way into the room fan and covered our clothes in bug juice - not nice! I could not wait for morning to come. Yes being from the UK, I am mard when it comes to bugs and I tried to limit the amount of insects in the room by closing the door leading out to the verandah during the day but the staff kept opening the door when we were out.

The lack of sleep was not the reason why we left the B&B. After spending the day exploring the gorge and surrounding area (Port Douglas, Cape Tribulation). I found myself with nothing to do. We had spend the past month travelling around Australia and I have done countless crocodile safaris and reef trips. I guess I just wanted to spend the last few days in Australia with friends, relaxing. This is not the B&Bs fault in any way but this is the main reason why we left.

I did not feel comfortable relaxing here as I felt I was on a schedule (alarm clock in the morning set by staff, our days planned out for us) and I felt as if there were too many rules. I did not like the fact that when we left the B&B for the morning, the room was not how we left it. Our belongings were moved around, the doors were opened again after we closed them. I would never leave the room in a mess. I understand that staff are going to come in at some point but I felt it was pointless coming into the room more than once a day.

Mandy is right when she says that car hire is needed. I was just very dissapointed that I spent so much on car hire (being under 21) especially for this part of our tour as it was wasted as soon as we left.

We had spend the last month or so travelling around the East Coast of Australia and I knew that we were not going to be returning to Australia any time soon as we are very keen travellers so we wanted to enjoy our last few days in Australia so we decided to drive back to Cairns which was the best decision we have made as we really enjoyed our last few days.

Unfortunatley, there was nothing that the staff could have done to make are stay more enjoyable. It was simply not our cup of tea but I can certainly see the appeal for others. From the sounds of it. The B&B has been successfull for many years and I am sure it will continue to do so. I wanted to give my honest opinion so that others know what to expect.

I would recommend this hotel if you enjoy bird watching, walking, enjoy peace, interested in wildlife.

Room Tip: The mosquito nets in the pictures are for decoration only. Car hire is essential.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bvbbug
moomoomossman, Owner at Mossman Gorge Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Writing a response to a review such as this is not easy as it hurts when someone is not happy with the service that you offer.
Firstly I am so sorry you felt you had to leave after the first night. You mentioned in the morning that you had had trouble with the insects but I didn't realise it was such a huge issue. In the summer months we get lots of insects as I explained in my greeting when you arrived, you were unlucky to get both a catydid (beautiful green singing insect) and cane beetles(dull brown beetle about 2 to 3 cms in length) in your room, both of which are totally harmless. We try our hardest to keep them at bay by keeping lights low inside and bright outside, but like all things in nature we cannot control them completely and we just have to do our best to deal with them.

We try our hardest to make our guests stay as comfortable as possible as you noted and as our other reviews state and with this comes a daily service of your room, we make the bed, straighten the towels and put luggage up on luggage racks and pick things up off the floor so we can sweep and mop if necessary, we don't rearrange your gear other than to do the above.

We also open the doors to the deluxe room during the day to ensure the room stays as cool as possible. This room is on the western side of the house and in the summer months, if the doors are left closed along with the windows the room gets really really hot and most uncomfortable. We do this to create drafts so when you come home from your day out, the room is not an oven. We do this to make you comfortable not to annoy you. We understand that our guests from colder climates can and do have trouble with the heat so we do our best to ease that issue for them.
As you were only in for one night I don't understand the comment that we kept opening the doors, we opened them once after you went out for the day and that is all, we didn't go into the room again and did not see you again. The doors remained open all night as we didn't know you had gone until the next morning when we found your note.
You had issue with my lack of awareness of your late check in, I have gone through all my correspondence from you and I cannot find a thing about a late arrival. All I have is an email dated the 13th October stating that you would be checking in between 2 and 3 pm and coming from the Cairns Marina . So this would explain why you did not receive a confirmation of your late check in request, I never received that request. I must admit I was starting to worry that something had gone wrong when you didn't arrive in the afternoon as accidents on the road from Cairns are a regular occurance.
How sad that these guests felt there was nothing to do in our area as there is just so much to do from river snorkelling and rainforest walks, food gathering tours on the beach with a local aboriginal family to the wonderful Cape Tribulation, but but how wise of them to realise they should go back to Cairns to catch up with friends. Better to do what is best for them than hang around an area unsuitable for them.

Running a busy bed and breakfast in a tropical house in summer isn't easy and these guests comments reinforce this. We try our hardest to make our guests comfortable and have rules and guidelines for just this reason, thankfully, on the whole most of our guests are happy with the way we run our business and write reviews that reflect this.
We are sad that these guests didn't enjoy their time with us, I guess we can only do our best and this time it wasn't enough.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Blairgowrie, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2012

As a bed and breakfast this was first rate. Spacious comfortable living space. Home made preserves with breakfast. Mandy the proprietor has spent 18 years adapting to life in the rain forrest and is happy to share her experience and knowledge........ Which is considerable and we found invaluable to make the most of what was a special trip for us. Five of us, all the way from UK

Her local knowledge about who to phone and what questions to ask stood us in good stead. Mandy made calls for us, For the Barrier Reef trip Mandy found out about weather, winds and tides to enable us to chose the best charter for us and the best day to go. She enquired for us about tides and the local conditions for the best time to go croc watching. I dont want to say much more as the element of surprise from Mandy's veranda is somthing to experience for yourself.

SO VERY MUCH MORE THAN A BED AND BREAKFAST

Her local knowledge

Room Tip: All rooms good
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Nevada City, California, United States
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This was our first stop over in a month long trip to Australia and Mandy made it the perfect introduction to a foreign country. She was extremely helpful with advice of what and when to see things in the local area. The house is like your own home with full run of the top floor, with kitchen, two outside decks and plenty of inviting lounging couches. We stayed 4 nights and enjoyed filling and delicious breakfasts, complete with kookaburra entertainment and non-stop stories from Mandy. We had a room toward the front of the house so we didn't wake up to the stunning views to be had from the back deck but every morning we were surrounded with bird song. Nice sized rooms with a good sized bathroom with shower. Highly recommend you stay here if you're interested in the Gorge or Daintree rain forest.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Yelverton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2012

The excellent reviews prior to our visit raised our expectations of our stay at Mossman. Needless to say our expectations were surpassed. In the process of booking our visit we had found Mandy to be prompt in her replies and extremely helpful in answering our many questions. On arrival we were made to feel most welcome by our wonderful hosts. The accommodation was of an extremely high standard and was tastefully designed with a wonderful verandah offering spectacular views of the rainforest towards Mossman Gorge. We spent many hours with fellow guests admiring the views and enjoying the birdlife. Breakfasts were superb. We enjoyed the flexibility to use the BBQ for evening meals and the kitchen to prepare our picnics. Mandy was an extremely good host with a wealth of knowledge of birdlife and the local attractions. She was more than happy to make bookings for us and her advice was invaluable.
We would thoroughly recommend this accommodation and would without question return should we visit northern Queensland again.

Room Tip: Paying the extra for the largest room opening onto the verandah and with good far reaching rainfores...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Mandy is a great hostess and she certainly looks after her guests. She has a wealth of knowledge of the area and is prepared to help you plan your activities. The shared space on the upper story of Mandy & Chris's home is delightful, cool, spacious and with a great view of Mossman's Gorge. The breakfasts are lovely and you are visited by many bird species whilst eating your cereal.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Auburn, California
Reviewed October 24, 2012

If you are going to visit tropical North Queensland, STAY HERE! Mandy and Chris have a beautiful home that is also very comfortable and inviting. We stayed in the deluxe queen room with the view. If you can get that room - do it! It is so beautiful and romantic. We enjoyed sitting on the deck in the evening with a glass of wine, watching for the wildlife and having wonderful conversations with the other guests. Mandy really enhanced our visit to the area by helping us with reservations and making really excellent suggestions. We are positive that Mandy's assistance helped prevent stress from trying to figure out how to get to and from Kuranda! Mossman Gorge is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Make sure you go up to the visitor's center and do the walks. The "long" walk is really not that long, and is so beautiful - you will never forget it. Also, take time to visit the Wildlife center in Port Douglas and get your photo taken with a Koala. You can also get those photos in Kuranda... but you may spend all your time in Butterfly World! Don't forget the visit up to Cape Trib... but Mandy and Chris will tell you all of this - and more. This is my favorite B&B! I would move in, if I could!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Despite reading the positive reviews, we were taken aback by the sheer beauty and relaxed character of this B&B. We chose the deluxe room for six nights, which made us feel we were suspended above the gorgeous rainforest surrounding the house.

Breakfasts on the verandah were generous and varied, though always featuring fresh tropical fruit salads. If the attractions of the area hadn't drawn us away, we could have easily spent the entire day and evening admiring the passing birdlife and butterflies, as well as the view from the verandah.

Mandy and Chris take real pride in sharing their knowledge about the area and helping their guests arrange activities to suit their interests. Nothing was too much trouble - even posting back a pair of shoes which I left under the wardrobe!

Room Tip: Choose the deluxe room, if available. You won't regret it. It's just a little more expensiv...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mossman
Daintree EcoLodge & Spa
Demi View Motel
#2 of 2 in Mossman
Thala Beach Nature Reserve
Lync-Haven Rainforest Retreat, Cabins, Camping & Wildlife Experience

Been to Mossman Gorge Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!