My wife and I stayed at Silky Oaks for part of our honeymoon, and compared to other resorts we stayed at in the region, the price was well worth the experience. The individual tree houses were clean, with designer furniture, private balcony (+ hammock) and hot tub. Specific to Silky Oak's houses were screen doors and larger beds, something missing from other local resorts. A few important things to know:
(1) Privacy on the balcony was limited, the houses are rather close to each other and you will likely see your neighbors; however we did not have any problems. Similar to the resort we stayed at prior to Silky Oaks, you will not feel over-run by other guesses, even if the resort is 100% full.
(2) We saw several bad review of the food before going and expected the worse. Really, the food was great and the menu changes each day (again, unlike other resorts with static menus) so you rarely tire of selection. Lunch was unnecessary and I suggest replacing it with the afternoon tea package ($22-25 for tea and cakes). Breakfast was a flat fee for a large cold buffet and hot menu, was worth the cost given portions.
(3) All of Silky Oaks is located next to the Mossman River, you can pay more for a tree house near the river but it's totally NOT worth it. Though they claim to have a beach and swimming area, like the pool, are unusable because of temperature. Now this did not stop us from taking nature walks (you can sign up at the front desk, ask for Des as a guide - he's awesome). Also, we took a bike ride with the supplied bikes at the front desk...but be warned, they are in poor condition
(4) Like other resorts, the wifi access is poor but Silky Oaks has a nice lounge area to use the internet.
(5) We made appointments at the Spa for a massage and mud bath. It was very romantic, they provided clothes, tea and a friendly environment. The massage was good, but I would skip the mud bath (was basically muddy water). Worth an afternoon.
(BONUS TIP) Lastly, try negotiating a package directly with the resort. We called an were able to get our dinner included within the price...but you must call directly
I wish we had more time at Silky Oaks, recommend it for a week or so.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Silky Oaks Lodge & Spa is the ultimate destination from which to explore Far North Queensland. This luxury eco lodge consists of elegant spacious lounges and living areas adjoining the stunningly located open sided Tree House restaurant which overlooks the surrounding rainforest and river. Spectacularly located in the Mossman Gorge region adjoining the Daintree National Park offering complete privacy and isolation yet only 20 minutes from Port Douglas ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Evoline ltd, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Priceline, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Silky Oaks Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Silky Oaks Hotel Mossman
- Silky Oaks Lodge Mossman, Australia - Daintree Region