“I loved it!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mission Beach
Melbourne
“I loved it!”
Reviewed September 4, 2010

My wife suggested Mission Beach as a holiday destination in June, and after a quick check on Google maps, I reluctantly agreed...... (i had never heard of Mission Beach).
I wont be going anywhere else from now on.
Mission Beach is close enough to Cairns to make it a viable destination, and just far enough away to keep it wonderfully quiet - it felt like a beach town you went to as a kid!
Castaways sits right on the beach - you have a short walk over the lawn from the bar and you are on the sand. Our room was comfortable. The bar was great. The staff were friendly (I even found myself flying a model plane out the front with the resort manager Will one day!)
Food............ fantastic - Pork fillet for 2 is a must and they have to keep it on the menu.
Overall, I am a cynic who tends to get pissed off over small things when I stay with a hotel and I was struggling to complain about this one. 5 stars from me

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed September 2, 2010

First thing to know is that Mission Beach is close to Tully, the wettest place in Australia. So our opinion is tainted by the incessant, torrential rain while staying at Castaways. That said, we were very disappointed by our "refurbished", "resort" room. It had been repainted stark white and had off-white tiled floor - very clinical. Much else looked original; bath was chipped, tiles loose, bathroom door damaged, old toilet, flyscreen door dirty. There was no table, no couch, not even an alarm clock; nowhere to sit except on the soggy balcony.
Another problem was the dining arrangement which is geared for fine weather; too few tables fully under cover.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank oztraveller61
Tolga
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Beautiful location, lovely swimming pool and layout, shame the same can't be said for the hospitality and service. We stayed in a ground floor room (More than $200 for one night). First issue - there was construction going on right outside our door all day long starting around 7.30am. Issue 2 (the worst) the airconditioner was a dud...3 different people, including an electrician, came into our room over about 2 hours and all confirmed it didn't work but did nothing about it. We requested we be moved to another room as it was quite warm and uncomfortable without airconditioning. The manager himself came back with a pedestal fan and said "here you go, this'll do, it's not even that hot tonight". How's that for 4 star service at a 4 star price?? I also was not impressed with the restaurant - pretty ordinary and very overpriced.

1 Thank Stacey300192
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 28, 2010

I work in the hospitality industry so I am super critical of venues. This resort ticked all the boxes, from the 5 star affordable cuisine to the amazing renovations that have been made to this venue/ rooms. It was raining when I was there, but the more than accommodating staff were more than happy to give us suggestions on what to do.

The beach is beautiful and although I only swam in it once during my stay I can imagine that this would be 10 times as beautiful during the summer.

The girls at DRIFT gave me the best hour massage and the relaxing environment made me want to fall asleep in their massage chair watching the surf for hours afterwards.

If I had to give one negative, it might be that you need toothbrushes at reception but unlike my gf I remembered to pack mine! Don't worry though if your not lazy you can wander down to the shop that is 5mins away.

1 Thank Rensta33
Melbourne
Reviewed July 3, 2010

We arrived and were very pleased with the setup of the lobby area which contained a gorgeous pool and bar and overlooked a lawn and beach - gorgeous. Our room was very disappointing and looked nothing like the photos on the internet - a lot older than expected. The tiled floors never feel clean and the cupboards smell of damp. There was some bubbling of paint and a very old and noisy airconditioner in the main room.

The fitness centre had only machine weights and smelt terribly of damp. It didn't have water cups or towels as indicated in the hotel compendium.

We booked a table at the restaurant for 7pm and ended up walking out at 8.30pm having not even been served our main. This was extremely upsetting as had our 4 year old daughter with us who was starving and exhausted.

Be aware that the local Woolworths closes at 5pm on a Saturday and only opens again on Mondays - which is the reason we went to the restaurant for dinner - ended up having toast.

Mission Beach is lovely but there really isn't much to do in the area. The beach and pool are great but if the weather doesn't permit a swim, the rooms aren't somewhere you'd want to spend a lot of time.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank kabowe
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 30, 2010

Wow. What an amazing location. To wake up and hear the small waves crashing on the beach and the sun rising into your room is perfect for a relaxing holiday. The beach is untouched and ideal for walking/running hosting various activities (from sky diving landings, small boat transfers around the islands via “Sea Legs”, and the odd game of volley ball).

Since the renovation of Castaways this resort is the perfect little get away. It quiet, relaxing with the modern touch of style. The Bibesia Club is a funky and yummy place to hang out over a professional coffee (sometimes hard to fine in north QLD sorry), refreshing and tasty meal and great value for money. The Chocolate fondant is amazing and I would have to say the best quality restaurant in town!

Chilling out by the pool on the new pool lounges under the palms with a refreshing drink is heaven. As the pool was new it's a little fresh at the time of my visit but am sure by now it's perfect! To help ease into relaxation mode I highly recommend a visit to Drift Spa – located next door to Castaways with the same perfect view as their Castaway neighbours. It can’t get much better than this!

The renovated rooms are styled in good taste and very comfortable. Loved the day beds on the private balconies. Oh and the beds are the best ever!

Also the staff are very hospitable, friendly and helpful.

Can’t wait to return some day soon.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Munich, Germany
Reviewed June 30, 2010

I have traveled to the Cairns region many times over the years, and had been to Mission Beach a couple of years ago - what a gem of a place - unspoiled, relaxing, just one one those places that you realize is pure magic. A treasure of a location. A couple of Years ago I stayed at Castaways and it was OK - a good four star place set right on the beach. Nothing special.

I visited again a few weeks ago and WOW. They have spent a million bucks on this place and it is truly a different place. It is modern and chic. An outstanding Bibesia Beach club atmosphere - beautiful design and architecture next to the new pool. Right on the beach overlooking the beautiful islands and Great Barrier Reef. Food was just to die for. Staff warm and friendly and fun. Atmosphere and vibe really cool.

Not the place it was last time. The new owners and crew have done quite a reformation in this outstanding location.

Costs are still really affordable and whilst I was there only for three days it is the sort of place that you get to and go "damn, I wish I could stay for another week".

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends