“Wonderful location”

Castaways Resort & Spa Mission Beach
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mission Beach
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We had a very relaxing long weekend at Castaways. Stayed in a hotel room with a balcony, room 319. Wonderful views from the balcony and room, hypnotic listing to the waves.

The resort is right on the beachfront with lovely garden settings, lots of outdoor seating and al fresco bar area. Two good size pools and nice sea breeze help you to stay cool even in humid conditions.

The food was excellent. We upgraded for a cooked breakfast one morning and were not disappointed. Pizza specials on Sunday lunch were great value and very tasty. A group of us had an evening meal in the restaurant, majority of going for the sunset menu, and all dishes were excellent. The barramundi possibly the stand out.

Our room came with good size television and effective air conditioning (a must) although the furnishings were a little tired, it was spacious and comfortable, with wonderful views of the water and dunk island.

Staff were always friendly and helpful.
Overall terrific value at this time of year.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank J_in_Sydney
Emmelie J, Director of Sales at Castaways Resort & Spa Mission Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Dear "Wonderful location"

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this very nice comments about your stay at our resort. It is a delight to hear that all our service areas have received such positive feedback.
We hope that you will come back for a visit in the not too distant future.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed at Mackays for two nights. We got a very friendly welcome! The service was wonderful, thanks for the help with our suitcase.
The room was good, aircon worked really well, filled minibar. Nice pool, close to the beach!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pernilla K
MackaysMotel, Owner at Castaways Resort & Spa Mission Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

We strive to give good old fashion service to all of our guests.
Thank you for giving us feedback on our Motel

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We (my wife and 2 adult daughters) drove up and requested a last minute price for a 2 bedroom suite, to sleep 4 people.
I did receive a discounted price. But when we went to the 2 bedroom suite, it was way, way too small for us. One double bed was actually in what you would expect to be the lounge room. That is, you walk into the apartment and there is a small kitchen, with a bed a step away.
The other room had 2 beds.
But where were going to hang out, watch TV and relax. Well the answer is nowhere.
We decided to leave.
So, if you are visiting with a family, double check the room before you decide.
The place felt a bit like a motel. The location is right on the beach. Nice enough place.
Footnote: the front office guy Daniel was a delight to deal with. He immediately refunded my money, albeit after getting approval from his manager.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear "Nice Location. But."

I am really sorry to hear this feedback and that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We offer a very wide range of different room types and do have proper 2 bedroom apartments where you have a full separate lounge room, master bedroom and second bedroom. It seems as though in this instance we did not inform you correctly about the options available which resulted in a less than favorable stay for you and the family.
I do hope that we will get another chance to show the range of our room types and the level of our service.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Having arrived quite late after a very long drive, we were pleased to find the bar open. Service was great, breakfast was good. The room wasn't great, we were located opposite the lift and above the restaurant. This didn't give us the sea view we expected. To the couple with the noisiest kids in the world, please note that just because your kids woke you at 6.30am in the morning doesn't give you the right to wake up every other guest.

Room Tip: Keep away from the lift and noisy kids
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sue M
Emmelie J, Director of Sales at Castaways Resort & Spa Mission Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Dear "Great Hotel and Service, not a great room"

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your feedback here on Tripadvisor. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and especially our food & beverage side of things. A nice drink after arrival is always nice.
I am sad to hear that you had some disturbance from "outside sources" however I do hope that we will see you back with us again soon.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

The first positive was Barbara the lovely owner who made us feel so welcome. Nothing was too much trouble. The second was how lovely the rooms were. We had rooms 204, 205 and 206. Comfortable, spacious, well appointed. Each room has a small balcony overlooking the pool and the tropical gardens. The list continues: one block from the beach and the village centre, great pool, mini bar. But the icing on the cake is the restaurant. Great food, reasonable prices, great service. I will definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank MissMNorthQueensland
MackaysMotel, Owner at Castaways Resort & Spa Mission Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

We thank you for your feedback on our Motel.
We strive to give each of our guests, good old fashion service.
Our meals are true value for money, and the rooms are a little dated, but priced right.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

We stopped off at Mission Beach so that we had a short drive to Cairns the next day. What a fabulous place to stay both in terms of accommodation and the location. We were made to feel very welcome on arrival and had a ground floor room overlooking the pool. We had an excellent meal at the Pavilion restaurant, which has an interesting menu, on the first evening. The food was superb as was the ambience. The service at Mackays was excellent and every day started with a healthy breakfast on our terrace before a stroll along the miles of sand. Well worth a visit, we will be back.

Room Tip: Go for a ground floor room with easy access to the garden and pool
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Geoff E
MackaysMotel, Owner at Castaways Resort & Spa Mission Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

We thank you for your response to our Motel.
It is nice to get feedback from our guests
It tells us what we are doing right, or wrong.

We strive to give good old fashion service at a value to all of our guests.
Once again, we thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

I have emailed Castaways twice to express our disappointment with our stay to their reservations address but have received NO REPLY or acknowledgement - maybe they can't receive them or maybe they don't care - I'm not sure.
My new husband and I had been travelling for a several weeks on honeymoon. Castaways was a little above our normal budget but for the type of room we were getting but with the tripadvisor reviews which, until recently, were all very good and also how clean and slick the website looked we thought it was going to be something really special so splashed out. Sadly we have a few complaints as follows.
Our room looked very tired. The walls and general furnishing all looked rather "beaten up" and the air con was quite ineffectual. The website and cost leads you to believe that it is a clean and modern hotel but the bathroom was old and scaly and not what we were expecting. The booking confirmation of details for our room says wireless internet included - this is misleading as it is only available in certain areas and hard to pick up / weak. In actual fact you need to spend a small fortune to have wifi in your room. There was also no safe which we have found standard in also every hotel and definitely in the "luxury" ones.
My personal main complaint was cleanliness. The pool on our first day was very dirty. I jumped into the long pool and felt myself treading on something I looked underwater with my goggles (the water is strangely cloudy in both pools) and there were in just one corner a collection of around 35 dead spiders, wasps and other detritus. There were many other clusters- it was filthy. We are keen swimmers and this was the main draw from the pictures on the website for us. We did not go in either pool again.
The plates at breakfast were also very dirty on the morning we left. I picked my way through several plates and bowls to find a cleanish one. I was not the only one with another girl said "ewwwww" when she picked up a plate and found the same nasty stuff I was finding. Reading through other reviews it appears that this hotel seems to have ongoing issues with cleanliness.
Breakfast was limited. In fact it was the poorest offering in Continental breakfast in our 5 week trip - maybe it was to encourage you to spend an extra $10 for their hot breakfast "deal". There were problems with the toasters which kept shorting and the selection was measly and not refreshed enough for the price tag attached.
We ate lunch and dinner one day. Lunch was very nice and reasonably priced. In the evening meal I picked the stuffed mushroom starter. It cost $14 and the mushroom wasn't much larger than a 50 cent piece... There was a bit of salad to make it look more but the value was shocking... I know it might seem hard to believe now but I don't complain very often but the disappointments kept racking up and so I complained. I was told I was not the first to complain and that the mushrooms used to be much much larger. I was given a free glass of wine to compensate but found it worrying that people had complained but nothing was being changed so I wonder how many have complained about the mushroom starter today? My husband ate the steak with sides - he received 4 slithers of a carrot not even half an actual carrot - it was more of a suggestion than a side. Other than the breakfast we decided to eat away from the hotel...
The view was very stunning. I loved the exterior bed on our balcony. The staff are friendly but the price tag was way over the standard currently being provided. I know they suffered from the typhoon a couple of years ago but cleanliness does not cost a lot... I was asked how my stay was as I settled the heavy cheque I said that actually I was disappointed and had expected much more - also that the pool was very dirty - the lady was sweet but did not address anything just changed the subject and asked where I was going next. It could be a great great luxury hotel and it sells itself this way - but its still got a way to go in my opinion...

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Emma H

Dear "Honeymoon Disappointment"

I am sorry to hear that we did not live up to your expectation during you stay with us. We do take on board all feedback we receive from our guests and in all areas possible try to rectify, correct or change the cause for the negative feedback.

I do hope that you enjoyed your honeymoon here in Australia and wish you all the best for the future.