“Another Awesome Mission Beach Whale Watch”

Mission Beach Charters
Ranked #2 of 16 Tours in Mission Beach
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Charter boat catering to couples, small groups and families. Completely personalised tours with no crowds or waiting. Activities possible being snorkelling, fishing, whale watching (during season), picnicking, swimming, camping, scenic tours and scientific research charters through a choice of locations around local islands/coral reefs or rivers. We also hire camping equipment, and can provide camping permits for Qld National Parks
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Last year we went out with Jason on the "Brahminy" and had an awesome whale watching experience. This year we left our trip a little late in the season but knew even if we missed the whales that the trip round the islands would still be fantastic. First a little about the skipper and his boat! The boat is New Zealand built Stabicraft aluminium alloy plate boat and for those that don't know boats that doesn't mean much but in real terms it means safe, safe, safe and very stable and seaworthy. You could literally run a fire hose into this boat and it will not sink as it has positive flotation chambers built in to the hull. The other advantage is when people all move to one side of the boat to see a whale it does not list or lean over like a normal v bottom boat. The ride is excellent and smooth and all the equipment is in tip top shape. I am a safety freak and Jasons craft "Brahminy" fulfills all my demands with regards to seaworthiness. Jason the Owner/Skipper has literally spent a lifetime on the water operating a broad range of craft but what is really great is that he knows the waterways around Mission Beach like the back of his hand. He is well liked and respected by local boaters and during our trip made multiple phone calls to people who were out on the water looking for intel to help him to find a whale for us! He is respectful towards the whales at all times and will work hard to get you in a good position without harassing the whale. You know from the minute that you step on board that this man wants you to have a fantastic day and is not just some employee who is going through the motions.
OK back to our day. We left at midday and after a safety brief and invitation to enjoy complimentary (that's Latin for awesome) white chocolate/berry muffins and chilled water at any time during the trip we were underway. By the way if you don't try out Bec's muffins you are missing out big time and deserve to be keelhauled! We traveled around the islands and the scenery was simply stunning...I often found myself looking at the islands instead of looking for whales! I saw a small school of flying fish on the way out as well which was a bonus :) The sea built up a little but I was surprised at how comfortable the ride was. There was plenty of room up front for passengers to stay dry and there were no complaints from the senior passengers who were sitting up the front which proved to me that it wasn't just me who was impressed by the comfort level of this craft. My mother in law was sitting up front and on the drive home after our trip she had nothing but praise for the boat and the experience. This is her third trip with Jason and she does not like boats!
Jason decided to move inshore as he suspected that the whales like us might be seeking smoother water. Just as we were starting to resign ourselves to a trip with no whales a magnificent mother and young calf were sighted in shallow water near a reef. We were treated to an extraordinary show when the young calf spy hopped/breached 3 times as it swam towards and then under our boat as we sat still in the ocean. WOW! I only got one decent shot but others did a lot better fortunately. It was an amazing close encounter and combined with the enchanting island scenery and blue skies rounded off what was a wonderful whale watching trip indeed.
I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this business to anyone interested in fishing, snorkeling, whale watching or island exploring around Mission Beach. We have been on scores of whale watching trips in Hawaii (Maui) and the quality of the experiences we have had with Jason and Bec equal or exceed those we have experienced overseas. I do not make such comments lightly. Jason and Bec are professionals and I cannot fault their operation or their commitment to their business and their customers...WE WILL RETURN!

BecMissionBeach, Manager at Mission Beach Charters, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Gosh Russell - thank you (again) for your kind words...I must agree about Stabicrafts - they are extremely stable, and hence, have a very apt name!...(Jason is also impressed with how well they handle when everyone is on one side)....So glad you were eventually treated to some spectacular breaches by the young whale. That tour was officially our last tour of the season, so I'm extra happy that you, Sara and Juliette squeezed it in.....phew!
Hopefully next year we'll have more amazing experiences with these inquisitive, gentle giants.
(I'll make sure the muffins are still up to scratch too! LOL)
Cheers, many thanks

There are newer reviews for Mission Beach Charters

Reviewed August 24, 2013

My wife and I went on Mission Beach Private Charters in early August 2013 and boy was it a blast!! Bec was very accommodating and helped fit us in during our short trip out to Mission Beach. Jase the boat skipper, sure knows his stuff. We had caught 9 spotted Mackeral in the first few minutes since arriving at the "Fishing Grounds". We also even got to see whales on the way... something which is normally a separate tour all together. We chose to do the half day trip, which was plenty to catch a few fish. But I would recommend doing the full day trip as it can take 40 minutes to get to a spot.

The boat is a 6+meter very very solid safe boat with comfy seats and heaps of room for fishing, heaps of shade and protection from rain/spray.

A reason we had chosen this charter over any other in Mission Beach is because the group sizes are a lot smaller, we only had 3 people + Jase on the boat!! Some charters have 6,7,8ppl which could get crowded.

Will definitely be back next time we are in Mission Beach!!

BecMissionBeach, Manager at Mission Beach Charters, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Thanks Val! Yes, when the mackerel are on - THEY"RE ON!...Good to hear that you and Fleur enjoyed yourselves.....Jason's local knowledge of the water comes in very handy I must say!
Good luck with the snapper season down south......Look after each other, and we'll see you again soon for some more arm stretching exercise!
Cheers for now

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We did a snorkelling charter with Jason. He took us out to two amazing reefs, which words cannot explain how beautiful the reefs were. Jason was very informative, and really made us feel comfortable. He was also very helpful & caring towards two of my friends who unfortunately experienced sea sickness. Also, the food Bec prepared for us was amazing! We couldn't get enough of the white chocolate, berry muffins! (Recipe Please!). I highly recommend this experience to anyone! I would definitely do it again! Thanks Jason & Bec!

BecMissionBeach, Owner at Mission Beach Charters, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Thanks Geraldine!..great to hear that you had a good day at the reef - so sorry to hear about Krissie & your other friend's sea sickness... believe it or not I'm not the best on the water, (that's why I hide in the office!), so I can completely empathise with them...it's not much fun - good to hear that Super Skipper was on call though!
I will email the recipe to Krissie for the muffins, I'm so glad you enjoyed them. Take care - perhaps we'll see you again sometime?
Bec & Jase

Reviewed May 16, 2013

I surprised my husband with this beach picnic for his birthday and could have not chosen better! While we were unable to go to the island as planned due to the weather, we still had the picnic at a lovely beach side spot recommended by Bec. The picnic was absolutely fantastic, there was so much too eat and we enjoyed every bit of it. We were very impressed by the quality of the food and the little touches to make it extra special. There was even a personalised birthday card for my husband. Thanks again for all your help while planning this surprise! Outstanding customer service! We hope to be back one day!

1  Thank Datida
BecMissionBeach, Owner at Mission Beach Charters, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

I'm always happy to help conspire with birthday surprises -or any surprises for that matter, it makes my day too! I'm so glad you and Tim managed to have a good afternoon regardless of the weather. I need to get my hands on a magic wand so I can calm the rough seas and wild winds when I need to - keep your eyes peeled for one - OK?
Well done Davina, I hope you and Tim have a great year together.
Take care until next time.

Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

We did the snorkelling charter with Jason yesterday. My husband, myself, and three boys went. Most amazing experience we have ever had. Jason does an incredible job, made everyone feel really comfortable and imparted so much of his knowledge about the reef and the marine life. He was fantastic with the kids, so patient and answering all of their never ending questions. We had it catered and Bec's food was great. I will highly recommend this to all friends as the only way to see the reef. Thank you so much for such a memorable experience.

1  Thank Megfoye
BecMissionBeach, Manager at Mission Beach Charters, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Thanks for your kind words Megan- glad to hear you all had a great day. We hope to see you and your boys again next time you are up in North Queensland..... Until then take care, and safe travels!