“Great Hostel”

Mission Beach Retreat
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed at this hostel for the three days I was in Mission Beach - It was lovely. I wanted a quiet, small hostel as I was in Mission for a Skydive and Extreme Rafting. The couple running the retreat are the most warm, welcoming people Ive encoutered at a hostel in my eight months in Australia. They took my bags into my room and made me feel so at home. The hostel itself is small, quiet, clean - an easy place to just chill. I loved the open concept of the kitchen and the main common room - and the beachy feel of the hostel. I should also mention - the location is great .. two minute walk from the main beach (perfect area for campfires on the beach - which the staff sort out every few days). I'd defintiely recommend this hostel to anyone looking for a relaxing time in Mission Beach.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Mission Beach Retreat

Reviewed July 29, 2013

One of the nicest places I encountered on the East Coast.
The owners and the stuff made me feel at home from the second I arrvied at the Greyhound station. I'd love to stay longer there!
1 Minute walk to the beautiful beach and also close to many great hiking locations.
The open kitchen is a big bonus compared to other hostels, that all smell like onions after one person is cooking (:
Do the rafting there!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We have just spent 3 nights at Mission Beach and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. It's situated right on the beach and close to walking tracks. The owners and staff were all really friendly and more than willing to help with information on the area and tours to do. We did the White Water Rafting and had so much fun! The double room proved good value and there's plenty of DVD's and games to choose from if you want to chill. The bus shuttle to and from the Greyhound/shops was also really useful.
Best wishes for the future guys!
Gareth & Amanda

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I lived at this hostel for a while when I first arrived in Australia and have spent the last couple of years revisiting. Every time I return it feels like I've come back home, and I'm not the only one to experience that wonderful Mission Beach magic! Small but perfectly formed everyone in the hostel is made to feel included and night time beach fires often have marshmallows provided by the wonderful owners Richard and Anthea. Warning: once you've visited once, you won't be able to resist coming back again and again...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Excellent location right next to the beach and friendly staff, but rooms and kitchen and bathrooms were on the grimy side. Dorms are all close to lounge space, so don't expect a lot of sleep if you were hoping for an early night at any stage. On one of the nights I stayed I was woken at 12.30 by lots of screaming - I think (hope!?) it was a recording of someone's skydive.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My wife Megan and I stayed here during a 6 day holiday in Northern Queensland to get some some sun during the cold Melbourne winter. Richard and Anthea, the owners, are the most deliciously outgoing, gracious, comfortable people ever. We were a 30 second walk from the beautiful 14 kilometre long golden sandy beach and warm tropical salt waters of the Coral Sea. The backpackers on staff at Mission Beach retreat while we were there, Adam, Ruth, and Kim were the most fun loving, awesome-to-hang-out-with people ever. We played board games, went for long walks on the beach, did a little geocaching, went for walks in the rainforest, saw a Cassowary, and went sailing out to the great barrier reef one day to snorkel. The giant clams out there are AMAZING.

I've stayed in a number of hostels in various places around the world, and this place had the most delicious, comfortable, vibrant, friendly atmosphere of any hostel I've ever been to. I couldn't recommend it more.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Amazing family run hostel, friendly staff, just recently been updated and one of the cleanest and best places to stay. Staff gave me all the information i needed about the area and had great local knowledge. They also helped me out with booking future accommodation and tours. Would highly recommend this to anyone

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo