“First Class Service”

Mission Beach Retreat
Karlsruhe, Germany
“First Class Service”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

One of the nicest places I encountered on the East Coast.
The owners and the stuff made me feel at home from the second I arrvied at the Greyhound station. I'd love to stay longer there!
1 Minute walk to the beautiful beach and also close to many great hiking locations.
The open kitchen is a big bonus compared to other hostels, that all smell like onions after one person is cooking (:
Do the rafting there!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We have just spent 3 nights at Mission Beach and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. It's situated right on the beach and close to walking tracks. The owners and staff were all really friendly and more than willing to help with information on the area and tours to do. We did the White Water Rafting and had so much fun! The double room proved good value and there's plenty of DVD's and games to choose from if you want to chill. The bus shuttle to and from the Greyhound/shops was also really useful.
Best wishes for the future guys!
Gareth & Amanda

• Stayed July 2013
Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I lived at this hostel for a while when I first arrived in Australia and have spent the last couple of years revisiting. Every time I return it feels like I've come back home, and I'm not the only one to experience that wonderful Mission Beach magic! Small but perfectly formed everyone in the hostel is made to feel included and night time beach fires often have marshmallows provided by the wonderful owners Richard and Anthea. Warning: once you've visited once, you won't be able to resist coming back again and again...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Excellent location right next to the beach and friendly staff, but rooms and kitchen and bathrooms were on the grimy side. Dorms are all close to lounge space, so don't expect a lot of sleep if you were hoping for an early night at any stage. On one of the nights I stayed I was woken at 12.30 by lots of screaming - I think (hope!?) it was a recording of someone's skydive.

• Stayed July 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My wife Megan and I stayed here during a 6 day holiday in Northern Queensland to get some some sun during the cold Melbourne winter. Richard and Anthea, the owners, are the most deliciously outgoing, gracious, comfortable people ever. We were a 30 second walk from the beautiful 14 kilometre long golden sandy beach and warm tropical salt waters of the Coral Sea. The backpackers on staff at Mission Beach retreat while we were there, Adam, Ruth, and Kim were the most fun loving, awesome-to-hang-out-with people ever. We played board games, went for long walks on the beach, did a little geocaching, went for walks in the rainforest, saw a Cassowary, and went sailing out to the great barrier reef one day to snorkel. The giant clams out there are AMAZING.

I've stayed in a number of hostels in various places around the world, and this place had the most delicious, comfortable, vibrant, friendly atmosphere of any hostel I've ever been to. I couldn't recommend it more.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Amazing family run hostel, friendly staff, just recently been updated and one of the cleanest and best places to stay. Staff gave me all the information i needed about the area and had great local knowledge. They also helped me out with booking future accommodation and tours. Would highly recommend this to anyone

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Cairns
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Mission Beach Retreat YHA 17th-18th June

Great hostel, best nights sleep I’ve had in Australia! I would definitely recommend people stay here! Richard and Anthea (and the really cute dog) are very cheery and make you feel really welcome as soon as you get there. They were really helpful in advising and sorting out trips for us that we are doing further down the east coast, and advising us on hostels.
The hostel itself it small but has everything you need, and is nice and quiet over night. The TV and music (not really loud) was on until 10.30- 11 ish and then it was turned off and really quiet all night. No loud drunkards piling in all night or music blaring. Beds were very comfy, with two fluffy pillows, what a difference two pillows makes! Everything was clean and tidy. Other people staying in the hostel were friendly and people tidied up after themselves.
Have seen the bad review about cockroaches and bugs on here, total rubbish. Its tropical Queensland, you are going to get a few critters! It was all clean and tidy when we were there.
Location- it is in Mission Beach which is nice and laid back, very close to beach. Only draw back is limited food shopping in the little super market, but to be expected in a small village. There is a big woolworths on the way to South Mission Beach where the Grey hound bus stops (4km from hostel), so if you don’t have a car I suggest you ask the shuttle bus driver if you can go with them when they do the morning bus pick up as they wait about 40 mins for the premier and the greyhound bus.
Really loved this hostel, wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends