“Great piece of history ”

Miles Historical Village and Museum
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Miles
More attraction details
Owner description: The Miles Historical Village, Museum and Information Centre is open from 8am till 5pm every day except Christmas Day. It's on the eastern entrance to the town on the Warrego Highway. It has over 30 original and replica buildings and collections laid out as a town from the late 1800s. It also contains a War Museum containing photographs, stories, militaria from the Light Horse in WW1 through to the Vietnam War. The Norman Donpon lapidary display houses a remarkable collections of fossil woods, ferns, fine agates, crystals and minerals from around the world. This faciilty takes the visitor on a nostalgic and surprising journey through the lives of the people of the district who lived, worked and socilised in this region. Each year thousands of visitors are impressed by the village, it's collections and displays.
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

This place was recommended to us, when we arrived and seen a $14 entry fee almost walked away. I'm so happy we didn't, it was great a real nice piece of history. I may have even found a piece of my own family history immigrating from Scotland. If you've got a spare $14 pop in and have look around. Give yourself a good hour or two.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

We travel up the Leichardt Hwy to visit family in Northern Queensland. So we stop at various towns to see the local sites, especially anything historic as we love history. The Miles museum and Visitor Information Centre is located on Warrego Highway. (Turn right at the T intersection). There are a few dozen replicas of historical buildings of the 1920's. Yes it is similar to Coal Creek in Korumburra or the Pioneer museum at Swan Hill, but different too, so well worth a look.

3  Thank 1TraveltheWorld
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Looking for a public toilet as we left the small town of Miles, we stumbled upon this place. 2.5 hours later we left and what an experience. After being greeted by a very knowledgeable and passionate fella, we were ushered into the first display containing relics of a bygone era showing personal artifacts and belongings of people from the greater region. From there we walked into the "main" display that contained buildings that had been relocated and fitted out as they would have been back in the day. The displays were set out his they would have looked a long time ago were brilliant. So glad we found this place. If ever in Miles, go there, you only ever see these sort of places on TV and only in America. Even my 15 year olds loved it.

1  Thank Shannon628
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stopped in on way back from Carnarvon Gorge. My brother in law said it was worth a look and he was right, ideal place if your interested in the past. This place has a bit of everything, like the name History Village suggests it is an great place to see what life was like pre 60's, I'm in my early 50's and while I could relate to a lot of things that they had on display it would be a great place for people in say their 60's and 70's. I could just see my parents saying "we had one of those and remember using that" As expected there is a lot of reading and looking at old stuff, so maybe not a lot of interest for little kids, but plenty of old buildings to run about in.

1  Thank MJM874
Reviewed June 25, 2013

So glad we stopped here for lunch on the way through to Roma. We had a delightful experience and enjoyed every minute of our visit. A perfect backdrop for the kids (of all ages) to have a great game of cowboys with a real life bank, saloon and a jail! We got some great family photos.

1  Thank MissHooley_12

Been to Miles Historical Village and Museum? Share your experiences!