“Hidden Gem”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Mooloolaba, Australia
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Great little mexican restaraunt. Been twice now and loved it both times. super friendly wait staff, delicious food and reasonably priced. Deffinitely not the fanciest restaurant on the coast but the relaxed vibe of the restaraunt makes it all the more enjoyable. The outdoor seating is perfect for our warmer climate. Highly recommend Lefty's if you want a nice relaxed dinner.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Kiel B

Caboolture, Australia
“Terrible! ”
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Visited this 'restaurant' last night with a friend after a failed attempt at booking elsewhere.

Walking in we knew it was a bad decision - faded plastic outdoor chairs were the seating choice outside so we continued inside to find a slightly more comfortable (and safe) seating option. We were greeted by a friendly man amd seated quite promptly with some menus, which we thought was quite promising.

Our server came to take our orders, I ordered the half serving of beef nachos and my friend the half of bean with no cheese - explaining that she is a vegan, our server was adamant that this meal wouldn't be sufficient and proceeded to change her order of his own accord. We also ordered two orange juices as our drinks.

As the dining area was quite scarce, we were served our meals quite promptly which was great. My nachos came out lathered in greasy cheese with no sign of beef (later discovering that I had been served bean nachos instead), my friend was served a MASSIVE plate of rice, salad and a burrito (we had mentioned that we weren't 'starving' which is why we ordered originally from the starters menu), after reiterating at least three times when ordering that my friend was a vegan, her meal was served with a good amount of cheese melted over the top which she ended up having to scrape off in order to eat her meal.

We still hadn't received our drinks so we had to ask for them again. We were served two generous glasses of juice which included a slice of lime in the juice and a slice of lemon on the side of the glass (this seemed strange) and on drinking the beverage, instantly knew it wasn't plain orange juice (tasted more orange and mango, which would be fine if I could eat/drink mango).

Working at a restaurant myself, I would normally say something about my meal to my server when being meal checked, however, this didn't happen as our server was sitting outside having a beer with other people so it was rather impossible to do so.

All in all, an extremely disappointing (and rather expensive) meal out ... I would recommend avoiding this one.

2 Thank novicetraveller912
Buderim
“Very chilled”
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed our family meal at Leftys tonight. Old school Mexican with a few other main meal options thrown in. BYO, some others tables had even brought eskies! Outdoor seating on a perfect Qld summer evening created a very relaxed night. Meals were huge and they are not scared to serve Mexican that had real kick. Platter great, Mexican combos ok, garlic prawns and chilli con carne excellent. Only a short walk from home so will be back. Service very good only criticism is that to charge $25 to $30+ for main meals people should not be seated on faded old plastic garden chairs and tables. Otherwise pleasant setting just needs a tidy up.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Felicity W
Sunshine Coast, Australia
“Great food, professional staff”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

First time at this restaurant. Food was excellent, staff were friendly and professional. Atmosphere was so-so--a bit like a pub. There were some significant aspects that left a lot to be desired at this restaurant but that certainly did not apply to the food which I thoroughly enjoyed.

• Visited December 2013
QLD, Australia
“Great food!”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Went to Leftys for our wedding anniversary recently, I had a meal there a few months back and wanted my husband to try it out.
The food is great although the menu could do with a bit more variety especially in the vegetarian line. It's mostly Mexican, but if that is what you like you will love Leftys.
Not to say I didn't enjoy my meal , cos I did ! We had the garlic bread to start and I have to say its probably the best garlic bread I have ever eaten! Not sure how they do it buts its different and really good ! We shared a prawn empanada and then I had the prawns and husband had the steak. All nicely presented with good sized veggies accompanying , which now days you usually have to pay extra for! We were way to full for dessert !
Service was great, all were very friendly! The American owner is a character !
We had a good night and were well fed in a nice relaxed atmosphere. The prices were pretty average, not cheap but not over the top.
Very enjoyable !