“1+3=5”

Cottontree Backpackers
Cottontree Backpackers
Reviewed November 1, 2012

The hostel is very run down. It needs a major uplift. Maybe they can exchange a paint job or something for accommodation for any working travellers. So that's my 1 out of 5. Two 5/5s--the atmosphere and the location. The atmosphere I think was more because of the residents there than anything, but still good. Everyone was really friendly, I'm pretty shy but had no problems socialising so that's how good it is. The location is excellent. 10 mins to the biggest mall on the Sunshine Coast, cafes and bus stop to another major shopping centre on the next block, library (and free Wifi) on the block after that, and 10 mins from the Greyhound bus stop (which is in front of the visitor information centre). If you rent a car there's plenty of parking around. Oh and it's on the water as well, nice view. So 1+5=3.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank glache

Reviewed June 17, 2012

The Cottontree website, and our guidebook had promised us a 'relaxed hostel' with free bike, boogie board and surf board hire. Well, relaxed is one way of putting it.
The living room is cramped, and the springs in the sofas must have broken long ago. Admittedly, they have a tv and hard-drive with films on, but incessant re-reuns of Modern Family are enough to give anyone a headache.
The kitchen was filthy, the washing up liquid had run out, all the sponges were dirty and the tea towels smelled so damp I didn't bother using them. What is more, one of the toilets opens straight onto the kitchen! Someone carelessly took our food out of the fridge so that our chicken was sitting at room temperature for hours. The problem was lack of fridge storage.
Our ground floor room was very basic and the window didn't shut- security issue I think?!
The hostel have two dogs. I love animals, but I am unfortunately allergic to dogs. I think they should at least advertise that they have a permanent canine resident (that sleeps on all the sofas), as a serious dog allergy can trigger asthma!
As for the free bikes, they were all broken and unusable- 'awaiting maintenance'. The offer of a free bike ride was the reason we had booked the place.
On our first night there, most of the residents went on a night out, got back at 2.30am and proceeded to keep us awake another hour, shouting right outside our room. This group included staff members. Incredibly, there was a huge sign saying 'no noise after 10pm'.
As for Maroochydore, don't bother.
Unless you are after a stay involving everything described above, I wouldn't stay here.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 28, 2012

While the reception staff were friendly this property is really just a big boarding house for young overseas and Australian people living and working in Maroochydore and surrounds.

I stayed in an 8-bed dorm and it contained at least one hutch with personal items all over it, indicating that at least one person in the room lived there permanently. I spoke with a young man who was from Maroochydore who had lived in the hostel for 2 years. Another older man had stayed there on and off for about 4 years (on his admission) between mining jobs.

All the residents were friendly and polite but the permanent nature of their tenancy is obvious in the way the hostel feels. It doesn't have the usual backpackers' energy or motion. I felt a little bit like I was couch surfing in an over crowded share house.

As for facilities: there are 3 showers for the whole hostel and 1 didn't even have a shower head (it was effectively just a tap). The rooms were crammed with crap everywhere - I could barely see the floor. I'm not a clean freak but there was literally no where to put my one bag and motorbike helmet without risking someone falling over them. The kitchen had frying pans, half a dozen plates and sets of cutlery, and no cups or mugs of any description. It looked like the kitchen had been raided, and the fridge was so chockers I couldn't fit even one small lunch box in there.

As for the beds - good thing that I can sleep anywhere because I might as well have been sleeping on springs because the mattress was so thin.

If you are looking for a random couch surfing experience then this is fine. If you're looking for somewhere to crash for weeks or months, then maybe you will fit right in. But I would probably not recommend this property to anyone passing through, genuine tourists or anyone who is a light sleeper.

I think this hostel should be delisted as a hostel and be relisted as a boarding house.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank andrewgills
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Positives: Great location

NEGATIVES: Run down, to many unnecessary house rules, quality of rooms is poor and minimal, quite dirty for a backpackers, pet hair on supposedly 'clean' bed when arrived AND WORST OF ALL the manger seems to not be interested in people or any problems that are raised. Would not give refund due to our disgust of the condition of the hostel and her attitude.

STAY CLEAR if you want to actually ENJOY your holiday.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank jared544
Reviewed May 17, 2011

Thought I would write a quick review about our stay here.

I visited Maroochydore with my fiance and booked a private room at this hostel. I've stayed at many backpackers so I know the deal and that's fine, we like the vibe in hostels. The problem was however for some reason the owner has the cleaners come in at around 7am and do all the vacuming. The walls are very thin, so the noise is quite loud and I couldn't sleep through it. I thought it was just a one off so didn't say anything, but it was exactly the same the next morning.

I commented to the owner who replied, yeah i know, the cleaner as another job afterwards so we have to do it then. I wasn't happy with this, as we were on holiday and not wanting to be forced awake so early. So asked for a refund, which of course was denied, part of the fine print when you sign in. On top of this they had fruit pickers staying there who got up at 5am and banged around in the kitchen which also forced me awake.

Maybe i'm missing the mark as it is a hostel, maybe i should have known that this kind of thing happens in hostels. The location is great and the people are nice, however If your like us and thinking of doing something similar for a holiday, i suggest staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2011

i came to stay at cotton tree backpackers alone as i wanted to explore maroochydore, i got to the hostel and the owner was very unhelpful, in fact it seemed like i was bothering her by checking in. i was then taken upstairs to an 8 bed dorm with windows flying open, no security at all and floor hadnt been vacuumed in years. i was then awoken by the owner coming in to fling open the curtains at 9am. i honestly felt like i was back at home and living with my mother in the way that the hostel treats its guests. there were rude signs up everywhere with orders and commands, demanding only 3 minute showers, not allowed to shave in the shower, not allowed to have tap on while cleaning teeth. these are only a few examples of the hostile notices placed all round the hostel. avoid if you want to meet people or be independant.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 15, 2011

This is the best backpacker i hav ever stayed till now. Ah, damn, i hav no words to define, its just cool, [-] perfect in every sense.

Everyone visiting Maroochy, simply go to cotton tree backpacker. Be yourself

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maroochydore
Caloundra Backpackers
#3 of 12 in Maroochydore
Top Spot Motel
Top Spot Motel
#8 of 12 in Maroochydore

Been to Cottontree Backpackers? Share your experiences!