“great park”

and up
Kuranda Rainforest Night Adventure Tour by Hummer
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Mareeba
More attraction details
Owner description: At Granite Gorge visitors have a fantastic opportunity to get close with the wild rock wallabies in their natural habitat. You can hand feed them macropod pellets which we have available. The Mareeba unadorned rock wallabies (Petrogale inornata, Mareeba race) are rare and endangered and only seen up close here.The wallabies are unique to this area of Mareeba. They are known to be on the top of a couple of mountain ranges but this is the only place they can be seen up close and fed in the wild. Possums, 5 types of gliders, Frilled necked and other lizards, 2 types of quolls, turtles and echidnas inhabit the gorge and park area. On winter nights dingo howls can be heard way down the gorge.
Melbourne, Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“great park”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Every year when we visit Nth Qld we go to Coffee Works in Mareeba to buy some coffee and then pay a visit to Granite Gorge. As Mareeba is always a bit warmer than Cairns and the Northern beaches, we found December through to March was too hot to walk around the Gorge however any other time is great for walking or exploring the park. Our main reason for visiting is to get up close to the rock wallabies who will come over to you looking for some food. When you pay the entrance fee you can purchase some food for the wallabies for a small fee but it's definitely worth it. Once the wallabies know you have food for them they come right up to you even grabbing hold of your hand to eat the food from it. It is also possible to go swimming there in the creek and there are also small turtles in the water. A great place to visit.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Authentic bush experience”
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

We spent 2 nights in one of the well appointed and tidy cabins and more time walking, exploring and getting up close and personal with the rock wallabies. What a great place to visit. An absolute must when on the Tablelands.

2 Thank jbensley
Wellington, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great park, dreadful service”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

On arriving after 12 hours of travelling I was told my cabin had been given away as I was due to arrive the day before. I had confirmed my dates by email (they changed by one day after I booked my flights) but they hadn't been updated. The staff member was hostile and rude, telling me that she doesn't deal with email and although I could have the cabin from the next day she couldn't help me that night. She refused to accept responsibility for their mistake and was horrible to me. Eventually, after I was reduced to tears, she sorted a tent for me and the cabin for the rest of the time (and she did knock some money off the bill). She told me this kind of [--] up happens a lot (and the next day a family arrived at the cabin next to mine to find someone already in there). The park is lovely (although they need to explain clearer about how hard the walks are) but the owner is distracted and the staff miserable. I felt very uncomfortable being around them. Stay for a day but no more!

4 Thank imogenw
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Not worth the money you pay for a day visit but camping would be fine a night or two ....”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Paid a fair amount of money to see the rock wallabies which my children loved though as we went on across that bridge to follow dots we got lost there not enough directions signs telling you where to go and all.... Plus we stopped when we seen that the bolders where dangerous for the children with no warning signs, I also found the manager to be very arrogant in explaining what I wanted to know , camping for a night or two maybe fine but not worth paying for a day visit . National parks are cheaper in price and much more worth besides the thumps up for the rock wallabies.

1 Thank RNyguen
Daintree, Queensland, Australia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Friendly wallabies, breathtaking views and exciting bouldering!”
Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

Great spot to camp with the kids. We all love feeding the wallabies...they even head into your camp on an evening and the boulder walk has amazing views, is challenging for the kids (and a little nerve racking for the parents!) with beautiful swimming holes to take a refreshing dip. The weir is also a good spot to cool off. Facilities are okay....but you stay here for the experience....this is our fourth visit and we'll keep coming back...

Visited September 2013