“Great South African Sosaties;”
Review of Key Restaurant Maleny - CLOSED

Key Restaurant Maleny
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Deliciously different African, Mediterranean and Caribbean traditional family style cooking is served at the Key Restaurant Maleny, a short 20 minute drive from the Sunshine Coast. Some of the most popular dishes on the menu are Mozambique Chicken with Jollof Rice, the melt in your mouth Moroccan Lamb Tagine, the hot and spicy West Indies Goat Curry. All of the dishes are lovingly prepared by Ghanaian Chef and Owner, Simone Butler, with many involving very lengthy traditional preparation and slow cooking to perfection, often over 3 days. In addition to Simone's traditional ethnic dishes, there is also available fantastic 30 mm thick 350 gram plus grass fed, well marbelled steaks or fresh grilled barramundi. Key Restaurant Maleny is fully licensed with a cocktail bar, an interesting wine cellar with lots of variety to match the sometimes spicy and fragrant dishes. Excellent organic coffee, delicious cakes and deserts are a feature. Enjoy dining by the log fire or alfresco dining on the spacious veranda with panoramic views to the Coast, Mount Coolum, the hinterland and the Glasshouse Mountains. For mouth-watering meals, packed full of flavour and exotic spices, visit the Key Restaurant in Maleny. Open Wed – Sunday, lunch and dinner, Special Friday Night Buffet. Garden Weddings, Parties, Special Events and Receptions for up to 100 people are catered for. Check out the menus or book online.
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We ate a wonderful South African Sosatie meal which tasted as if my own mother had made it in her kitchen in South Africa. The flavours were all there and the onion and apricot slices between the lamb was tender and sweet. The salad was crunchy, fresh and "different" because it varied in the way the veggies were either diced and sliced or ripped: yellow and red capsicums, spinach leaves, red onion, sprouts , carrots, lettuce all dressed in a zesty Balsamic drizzle.. Very yum. And a great setting in Maleny .

Reviewed March 30, 2014

My first time eating African food, the flavours were divine and we left there feeling full and very satisfied! I have to say that the customer service was exellent!! Even though it was our first time eating there we were made to feel like we were very special and that we have been dining there for years. I look forward to my next trip to Maleny and I will definately be having dinner at the Key Restaurant Maleny :)

Reviewed March 29, 2014

We went here tonight for a birthday. The service was excellent and the food was delicious. We were offered free tasters of a few drinks which was a lovely thought and the staff also provided a complimentary dessert wine for us as part of the birthday celebration. The baby lobster can be a bit messy to eat, but was delicious. A pity they don't seem to get more people her for a Saturday night, the restaurant, the food and the service is worth it. We will be back.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

This was our first experience for African Food, WOW loved everything, waiter picked my wine from the South African wines available he nailed it, service was impeccable, highly recommend it...

Reviewed February 18, 2014

My husband and I had dinner on Valentine's Day here and were nicely surprised. When I was googling to find somewhere to go whilst road tripping for the weekend, I reserved a table here and was advised that even though they had a Valentine's Day Set Menu I could also order from the Al a Carte menu. I was really looking forward to it because I'm a huge fan of caribbean cuisines and saw that they had a few Caribbean dishes. When we arrived we were offered a choice of where to sit - the restaurant is an old Queenslander type building and has a lot of potential. They had the regular lights on and then also fairy lights hung across the ceiling - personally I would of had either one or the other - both looks a little tacky but that's just me.

Great wine and beer list; we were really impressed with that. Cocktail list was reasonable and well priced. I saw a waiter carrying out a couple of martini's so I thought that was a good sign.

Unfortunately they were only offering the set menu for V Day. But it turned out really well. I had the prawns wrapped in vermicelli and then deep fried - best prawns I've ever had. My husband had the lamb sosaties - they were also lovely but the flavours weren't has clear and balanced as I would have liked.

Mains came and we both had a beef curry which was beautiful - meat so tender, balanced flavours and a good kick of heat to it. The meals were presented as I would expect for an "Afro" restaurant (each meal with a little basic salad on the side). My husband who is a chef was a little annoyed at this but as I mentioned from our extensive travels around the world - it wouldn't be right if it was "cheffed" up and made into something it's not.

Great service - there were a couple of complaints from other tables about how long everything took to come out - but what were they expecting; it's Valentine's Day and you picked the busiest seating of the night (we arrived around 8.30-8.45pm and missed the rush!).

Excellent desert wine recommendation by one of the wait staff. Were also greeted by the owner's which was lovely. We will be definitely making the trip from Brisbane to come here again!