“Excellent Food!”
Review of Key Restaurant Maleny - CLOSED

Key Restaurant Maleny
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Deliciously different African, Mediterranean and Caribbean traditional family style cooking is served at the Key Restaurant Maleny, a short 20 minute drive from the Sunshine Coast. Some of the most popular dishes on the menu are Mozambique Chicken with Jollof Rice, the melt in your mouth Moroccan Lamb Tagine, the hot and spicy West Indies Goat Curry. All of the dishes are lovingly prepared by Ghanaian Chef and Owner, Simone Butler, with many involving very lengthy traditional preparation and slow cooking to perfection, often over 3 days. In addition to Simone's traditional ethnic dishes, there is also available fantastic 30 mm thick 350 gram plus grass fed, well marbelled steaks or fresh grilled barramundi. Key Restaurant Maleny is fully licensed with a cocktail bar, an interesting wine cellar with lots of variety to match the sometimes spicy and fragrant dishes. Excellent organic coffee, delicious cakes and deserts are a feature. Enjoy dining by the log fire or alfresco dining on the spacious veranda with panoramic views to the Coast, Mount Coolum, the hinterland and the Glasshouse Mountains. For mouth-watering meals, packed full of flavour and exotic spices, visit the Key Restaurant in Maleny. Open Wed – Sunday, lunch and dinner, Special Friday Night Buffet. Garden Weddings, Parties, Special Events and Receptions for up to 100 people are catered for. Check out the menus or book online.
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Lovely restaurant with a great view!! Food is packed with flavours.. We loved it.. We had the Kelewele, the soup (spicy), Jamaican chicken and the goat curry.. Every dish was excellent and was to die for.. Staff was very attentive and knew the dishes very well.. Will surely recommend to our friends and will definitely come back..

1  Thank Anj16
Clement D, General Manager at Key Restaurant Maleny, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear Guest,

It was such a pleasure to welcome you last May and to read through your comments on TripAdvisor that you enjoyed dinning with us!

We hope to be able to welcome you back for a second visit, whenever your time permits.

There are newer reviews for Key Restaurant Maleny

Reviewed May 24, 2013

The service and food were both incredible. Staff are so friendly and food so delicious! One of My favourite restaurants in Australia! I will be sure to return when I am up that way again, just as I did twice on my one week holiday on the sunshine coast. We went on a Friday night to try all of the different foods on the buffet as we couldn't get enough from the first time. Thank you so much for your hospitality and yummy food!!!!

Dear Guest,

We thank you very much for the encouraging comments you made relative to your recent visit at Key Restaurant Maleny.

I will share this with our employees particularly with our Chef, Simone Butler, who will delighted to hear you enjoyed her African Cuisine.

Do not hesitate to contact M. Large, our Maitre D', he will be delighted to welcome you again and may assure you of his best attention and care at all time.

I hope you will continue coming in our restaurant and I look forward to welcoming you for our Sunday Lunch with Live Music or any other occasion.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We had the Friday night buffet it was brilliant loved the food and wine and service was exceptional. You made our evening we will be back next time...thanks Paul x

Dear Guest,

What a pleasure to read these wonderful comments on Tripadvisor and to hear that you have enjoyed your recent dinning experience with us!

Thank you very much for your comments in regards of our Tastes of Africa – Friday Night Buffet.

We are looking forward to welcome you back on your next visit!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We had a lovely anniversary dinner at Key, ordered 2 entrees and 2 mains which were all beautiful and the meats were very tender. The service was very friendly and accommodating. We had mentioned our anniversary at the time of booking and even received a complimentary beautiful dessert to share!
I can highly recommend this restaurant, particularly for people who like to try new tastes and flavours.

Dear KiwiJets,

We are looking forward to welcome you back on your next visit!

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We had lunch and dinner on 2 consecutive days during our weekend stay up in Maleny to celebrate Mother's Day, our birthdays and anniversary.

We visited Key Restaurant for lunch on Saturday. Like many others, we picked this restaurant based on the positive reviews on TripAdvisor. Also, the menu looked very unique and reminiscent of our honeymoon a few years ago in Mauritius. We sat out on the deck where we had a lovely view of the mountains. Our waiter was very attentive and explained the menu in detail. We had the honey and ginger marinated prawns for our entree, which was light and delicious. My husband had the Moroccan lamb tagine while I had the beef palaver. Both dishes were full of flavour and the meat was so tender. The beef palaver packed a spicy punch (5/10 on the heat scale I was told) and was simply delicious. We had the panna cotta which was very smooth and had a rich vanilla flavour.

We visited Key Restaurant on our second night in Maleny. It was late (past 8pm) as we had tired ourselves out from sightseeing all day and dragged ourselves out of our accommodation to look for dinner. After driving around Maleny and finding many restaurants' kitchens were closed, we were feeling desperate. It was my birthday and Mother's Day and I was feeling foolish for not having made any bookings for dinner. I decided to call Key Restaurant and check if they were still open. Thankfully, they were only just, and were willing to wait for us to come. When we arrived, we were seated right in front of the fireplace (my toddler was delighted) and we were the only patrons left in the restaurant as we saw the last group just leaving as we entered. Although it was late, the manager still kindly explained the menu to us and made recommendations. This time, we had the kelewele for our entree (very spicy!), the rock lobster (barbecued, smelled amazing and was very delicious) and Jamaican jerk chicken (spicy and flavoursome). My toddler had the chicken satay kebabs with rice which she enjoyed. My husband also had the mojito mocktail (made with apple juice) which was very refreshing.

The chef Simone came out to greet us after our mains and at this point I mentioned it was my birthday, and immediately she made arrangements with the manager for the 3 of us to have desserts on the house. It was a very pleasant surprise and the staff even sang a birthday song for me when they brought out my chocolate tart (which by the way, is very chocolate-y and simply to-die-for). I have never had such special treatment on my birthday!

I just want to thank the wonderful chef Simone for her amazing cooking and the staff for their kind hospitality. At no point did they rush us through our meal even though it was so late, and they made my night feel so special. I highly recommend your restaurant and will definitely return next time!

Dear Guest,

The entire team strives to exceed our guests’ expectations and of course hope that families with children feel taken care of.

Your feed-back about your visit, and especially about our team, is very important to us. I will certainly congratulate Paul, Luke and Simone our Chef for their great service; this will be a wonderful source of motivation for them.

We hope to be able to welcome you back for a third visit, whenever your time permits.