“Keys an African experience”
Review of Key Restaurant Maleny - CLOSED

Key Restaurant Maleny
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Deliciously different African, Mediterranean and Caribbean traditional family style cooking is served at the Key Restaurant Maleny, a short 20 minute drive from the Sunshine Coast. Some of the most popular dishes on the menu are Mozambique Chicken with Jollof Rice, the melt in your mouth Moroccan Lamb Tagine, the hot and spicy West Indies Goat Curry. All of the dishes are lovingly prepared by Ghanaian Chef and Owner, Simone Butler, with many involving very lengthy traditional preparation and slow cooking to perfection, often over 3 days. In addition to Simone's traditional ethnic dishes, there is also available fantastic 30 mm thick 350 gram plus grass fed, well marbelled steaks or fresh grilled barramundi. Key Restaurant Maleny is fully licensed with a cocktail bar, an interesting wine cellar with lots of variety to match the sometimes spicy and fragrant dishes. Excellent organic coffee, delicious cakes and deserts are a feature. Enjoy dining by the log fire or alfresco dining on the spacious veranda with panoramic views to the Coast, Mount Coolum, the hinterland and the Glasshouse Mountains. For mouth-watering meals, packed full of flavour and exotic spices, visit the Key Restaurant in Maleny. Open Wed – Sunday, lunch and dinner, Special Friday Night Buffet. Garden Weddings, Parties, Special Events and Receptions for up to 100 people are catered for. Check out the menus or book online.
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We visited Keys on our anniversary. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The restaurant is large and airy but they have the capacity to close up and warm the place with the open fire. The food will not disapoint the adventurous but has enough variety to cater for the not so adventurous. We will definitely be returning whenever we are in the area.

lukebutler1954, Owner at Key Restaurant Maleny, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Hi Michael, thank you for your review. It was a pleasure to look after you and your wife for your anniversary. We love romance and being involved in helping you celebrate on your special occasions. Our Chef Simone's food is all about tastes and flavours, whether for the more adventurous wanting to try something different and exotic or for those seeking comfort in more known dishes. Thank you again for your comments and observations. We appreciate them and look forward to seeing you and your wife again.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We had a lovely meal here. Cosy atmosphere and very romantic with the fire & fine wine. The staff couldn't do enough for us and we were made to feel really special from the moment we got there. Highly recommend if in the area.

lukebutler1954, Owner at Key Restaurant Maleny, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Hi Lou, we are so pleased you enjoyed your visit with us, the service and our food. Our Chef Simone is from Ghana in West Africa and she puts a lot of love and passion into her cooking. I am glad some of the "love" rubbed off and you had a romantic evening. Please tell your friends and come back again anytime. Thank you.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We happened to fluke going to this lovely place on a Friday Buffet night so there were lots of different dishes to choose from, all delicious. Staff were really friendly and explained the menu well, which was great because I like really spicy food but my wife is not so keen so it was nice to know what would suit us. We both loved the mild but wonderfully aromatic sweet potato and bean stew and I had to stop myself returning for more of the goat curry. It was scrummy. We both had a spectacular vanilla bean pannacotta with raspberry coulis for desert. My only recommendation for the owners would be to 'Africanise" the decor a little. It felt a little sterile and a little out-of-synch with the staff's friendly smiles and such wonderful and heart-warming food.

Hi Neil, we are very please you liked our food and service. The Sweet Potato and Bean Casserole is indeed very popular, it is made on a coconut cream base with cinnamon quills, whole cloves and fragrant spices. It is a gentle and very tasty dish. The West Indies Goat Curry cooks for seven and a half hours in a sauce that takes our Chef Simone two days to prepare. It sure is spicy and full of wonderful flavours. The Panna Cotta is made on Maleny Dairies cream, flavoured with Vanilla Beans from Madagascar and topped with fresh Raspberry Coulis, it is indeed a taste sensation. We are glad you and your wife "discovered" us and hope to see you back again to try some more "tastes of Africa".

Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I had dinner at Key Restaurant on Saturday 29/12. Initially we sat at a table on the wide balcony, but the breeze was a little cool so we moved inside, The african themed menu was explained to us by the owner/manager, Luke, and the rest of the staff were friendly and attentive. We shared the Ghanaian Light Soup and West African Kebabs for entree and the Moroccan Lamb Tagine and Mozambique Chicken for main. All were delicious. The Kebabs were especially good - spicy and tangy with a lime flavour. The only thing preventing me from giving this restaurant a 5 star rating is it's lack of atmosphere. The inside space is too large and had a cafeteria feel to it. But if you dine on the balcony I don't think you would have the same impression. Definitely worth a visit next time you're in the Maleny-Montville area.

1  Thank Hanyut

Hi Hanyut, thank you for your thoughtful and appreciated review. We really appreciate your feedback and especially comments about the various dishes you and your wife tried. Our Chef Simone, who is from Ghana in West Africa is very passionate about giving our guests an opportunity to experience tastes and textures of food from Africa and the Caribbean. You picked an interesting selection of entrees and main courses with indeed a broad spectrum of flavours and cooking styles. There are lots more that await you should you be in our neck of the woods again.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

This was one of our worst restaurant experiences ever. After booking to eat on New Years Eve 2012 we waited at our table for over half an hour without being offered aperitifs or water and finally sought a bottle of wine at the bar. After nearly an hour the owner apologized and provided some very nice salami style sausage crudités to tide us over. The filo mint lamb and prawn starters were also acceptable, but the main courses were a joke. The lobster (15 dollars surcharge, 'in butter and garlic with a subtle hint of spice') was dry and served with a bland salad (allegedly 'tropical') without any sauce whatsoever, and the lamb 'tagine' was a shank with a tomato sauce devoid of any hint of spice or fruit. Hoping that the meal might be redeemed by the desserts we were disappointed again by a slice of solid pastry with undercooked meringue and indiscernible mango . Although we were not charged for the wine we paid 125 dollars and wished we had opted for barramundi and chips down the road for 20. Number 1?!! Our faith in Trip Advisor is lost.

Hi Helen,

We are sorry to have disappointed you on New Year's Eve. It was our busiest night of the year and we were bulging at the seams with a full house of guests. We note you enjoyed the entrees and our complimentary Charcuterie Platter which I brought to you myself. I am glad you also enjoyed the bottle of Spanish Red Wine which we also provided to you on a complimentary basis. I am sorry you did not enjoy the Africa BBQ Lobster. Your husband's main meal was indeed a Lamb Shank slow cooked in Moroccan Tagine style and served with Couscous. You will recall the first person to see you was our female wait staff. She reported your displeasure to our Maitre D' Paul and myself and very unusually she mentioned she felt she was abused by you. Hence our Maitre D' Paul, who is spoken of frequently by other guests in other reviews as being very professional, kind and attentive, saw you to try to apologize for any delays (due to it being New Year's Eve and we had a full house). Paul said you were also abusive to him and dismissed him to "go away" which he also reported to me. It was at that point and because I had received reports of your abuse from 2 senior and experienced staff members that I went to your table to see you and your husband. I found your husband to be very pleasant, polite, approachable and expressed his understanding that we were obviously having a very busy night. When you arrived back at the table, you "went for me" and I endured about 5 minutes of continuous abuse from you before you finally emptied you water glass and promptly dismissed me to get you more water. You may recall that I brought back a carafe of water, filled your glass during which you said to me "the funny thing about all of this is that I am usually a very calm person" to which I responded "all evidence to the contrary Madam". You looked at me for a while then laughed. At the end of your meal, when you were paying your bill and after having it explained to you by our General Manager, Clement that we had provided $55 in complimentary items, you thanked Clement, smiled and left. We note that in your review details you give us 2 stars for service, 2 stars for food, 2 stars for value and 3 stars for atmosphere. Yet incongruously you give us an overall ranking of 1 star. You then complain that you have lost faith in Trip Advisor and lament that you wished you had eaten fish and chips for dinner somewhere else. On balance and upon reflection we must concur and wish you had eaten somewhere else too.