“The best strudel in the world.”

King Ludwigs German Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #4 of 52 Restaurants in Maleny
Cuisines: German, European, Central European
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Please note: King Ludwigs Restaurant is closed for renovations and annual holidays until 31.3.17. We will reopen on Saturday 1.4.17 and look forward to serving you again. King Ludwigs Restaurant opened it's doors in Maleny more than 2 decades ago and is run by the Bavarian couple, Barbara & Klaus with the help or their 3 children and professional team. From King Ludwigs you overlook the magnificent Glasshouse Mountains and Moreton Bay. Book your table to enjoy this 180 degree view from the verandahs and authentic German cuisine created by owner/chef Klaus and his sous chefs. Views, alpine feel, chalet dining rooms, wood fires and the authentic Bavarian beer bar stocked with more than 35 imported German brews combined with passionate service and honest food make King Ludwigs a destination in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland. Give us a yodel soon! Your hosts, Barbara & Klaus and Team
Brisbane, Australia
“The best strudel in the world.”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

The best strudel in the world. Sunday afternoon, good music magnificent view, good, happy service, what more could you want. Thanks to all the staff

4 Thank Enid C

Brisbane, Australia
“Excellent food, fantastic beer! - Second to none”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Dined at King Ludwigs Friday just passed and I have to whole hearted tell you that this is the BEST German cuisine I have eaten in a very long time. Their beer selection alone puts them second to none and marries up perfectly with the hearty food. The hospitality is warm and the decor inviting. We were seated on the balcony and the view of the Glasshouse Mountains was absolutely breathtaking at sunset. I would highly recommend this to anyone and everyone. Completely worth making the trip out of Brisbane for!

1 Thank Amber K
Brisbane
“Hearty food, great beer selection and great atmosphere.”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We've been several times now to King Ludwigs and love it every time. As a beer afficionado, their selection of european beers is second to none. The view if you get a seat out on the verandah is absolutely stunning - best to get their in the early evening to watch the sun set view of the Glass house mountains.
The food is a little salty, as some others have mentioned, however I can recommend the sausage dishes as they go so well with the beer!

• Visited May 2012
4 Thank BudgieMan
Melbourne
“Plate licking good hearty food ... great hospitality, lovely owner !”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

One of the best dining experiences I have had in ages. During a week vacation in wonderful Maleny, known for its sensational produce, this restaurant exceeded our expectations and was a genuine pleasure to dine at on several levels.

I love the German's discipline and desire for perfection, and this restaurant was no exception.

We dined here on Friday 5th January, and I'm not joking about wanting to lick the plate clean.

For starters, the interior of the restaurant feels authentically German and is warm and inviting. Then you have balcony dining with simply breathtaking views of the landscape and the Glasshouse Mountains.

The staff were perfect. If half the young hospitality employees out there could be half as good as the girls that work here they'd be great. Charming and polite, friendly without being too friendly and super efficient (well ... they are German. Us Aussies could learn a thing or two from them). We were seated with a smile, offered blankets for the whole family as it was a little cool on the balcony, and our children were all provided with a rolling ball children's game which can be played at the table to amuse them.

Just wonderful, considered service with a personal touch.

Great wine & beer selection (European and Australian).

After almost a week of eating out on holidays, the meal I was served at this restaurant was such a relief to my taste buds and my soul ! It was as though we were eating the best home cooked country meal, prepared by a cook who puts love into the food. It's not cheap - but it was money well spent and I loved every moment of it.

I had the Medallions of eye filet, creamy dijon mustard sauce & fried onions,
sweet potato mash & steamed vegetables ($35.50). This may sound very boring, but I cannot put into words how much flavour this chef managed to get into this standard, home style dish.

My husband had the combination of Bavarian specialties (grilled smoked pork loin,
veal Bratwurst & Frankfurt sausage, Sauerkraut, bread dumpling & beer gravy) ($29.50) which he loved.

Our children had the Kids Menu schnitzel and there was not one morsel of food left on their plates ... unheard of with our children !

Sticky date puddings were wonderful.

Apparently lunch times are extremely busy at this restaurant, so I am very glad we experienced the evening meal here as it was quiet and peaceful and we had time to chat with the lady owner (Barbara ?) who was obviously very passionate about the business and the service and spent a great deal of time chatting with our children and showing them various things around the restaurant. She even gave us all a hug and well wishes as we left.

I have read some nasty comments about her on Trip Advisor reviews and I cannot understand how anybody could find her anything less than lovely.

She would not suffer fools and is clearly a strong personality but I found her charming and animated. She would be the quintessential perfectionist and those sort of people have great conviction. I imagine if she was blunt with somebody they probably deserve it and those sort of customers are the very ones that nobody could please (or they are precious and don't understand the German manner). Either way, their loss.

As for reviewers complaining about her treatment of the staff, the girls that work there seemed extremely happy and appeared to have an excellent, respectful working relationship with the boss. She would be a tough but fair boss, and would have very high standards and would lead by example.

In a world full of dull, boring people who can barely be bothered to strike up a conversation with anybody let alone a customer they may never see again, I found her passion and sincere conversation with us to be a breath of fresh air.

I cannot WAIT to return to Maleny so I can dine here again.

11 / 10 for me.

3 Thank ladycatrin
“Exceptional experience and exquisite food!”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We are regular restaurant go-ers and the food and service provided at king ludwigs was the best we have had in years. Our waitress, Anya, was attentive and welcoming. The food was fresh and left us wanting more. This is an experience that everyone should treat themselves to. We will definitely be returning!!

3 Thank artyangie