“Coconut Parfait”

Ranked #5 of 53 Restaurants in Maleny
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located at Spicers Tamarind Retreat, The Tamarind Restaurant, brings a taste of Thailand to the foothills of Maleny. Set in a tranquil outdoor pavilion designed to make the most of the peaceful location, our in-house restaurant The Tamarind specialises in innovative modern Asian cuisine. Headed by Executive Chef Daniel Jarrett, the team have created a menu that allows every dish to be a harmonious balance of flavours that will leave your mouth watering and your stomach begging for more. Fully licensed with an extensive wine, beer and cocktail list. The Tamarind is open to both in-house guests and the public for lunch and dinner. Lunch - Friday to Sunday with Breakfast & Dinner - 7 days a week.The Tamarind Cooking School offers a cut above the rest with a purpose-built cooking school headed by Chef Phil teaching the intricacies of Thai, French & Italian cuisine. The school features state of the art cooking stations, air-conditioned comfort and spectacular views perched amongst the beautiful green grounds overlooking the rainforest. Each class is highly informative, hands-on and intimate (limited to maximum 12 people). Chef Phil teaches in a simple, approachable way, enabling you to recreate delicious dishes at home to impress family and friends. Demonstration classes are also available, where you can learn unique tips in a short 2 hour class. Take home the skills to make dumplings, desserts to tie for or impress your friends with a range of great dinner table options.
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We chose the 5 course Thai Banquet as part of the stay at Spicers Tamarind (highly recommended). The service at the restaurant was very friendly but professional at the same time. Our waitress knew exactly when to approach our table to top up our drinks or to clear the plates. Each course was excellent but the ones that stood out were the banana custard apple sorbet though it was just a palette cleanser and the coconut parfait with home made ice cream for dessert. The only improvement is the steamed rice with was a tad undercooked.

1  Thank Phil W

Reviewed March 14, 2013

An excellent meal for a special occasion. I stayed at the report and wouldn't have thought of going anywhere else for dinner. Wonderful food and great service. Loved it! Thankyou.

1  Thank Imation
Tamarind_Spicers, Front Office Manager at The Tamarind Restaurant & Cooking School, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Imation,

Thank you for your feedback. We always appreciate the time it takes to inform us on your experience and how you found your time with us. We are glad that you enjoyed your visit to Spicers Tamarind and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

The sweet, sour and spicy flavours and the innovative use of ingredients was nice, but it was all over-powered by the salt level so that the lingering taste sensation on my palate was saltiness. A gentle hand is needed in using miso paste, soy sauce, fish sauce and salted soy beans as just a little too much can be quite over-powering, not only on the palate but also on delicate foods like the crab and moreton bay bugs. The parfait dessert was delicious but unfortunately it didn't wash away that sensation I get on your tongue when I've eaten something too salty.

1  Thank GlobeTrotters4001
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We dined at the Tamarind whilst staying at the retreat. My thoughts:

Service. Great. Attentive, friendly and unobtrusive. We chose the 3 course menu and when my son couldn’t find an entree that he liked, an intelligent substitute was readily offered and accepted. The resulting coconut and mushroom broth was a sensation and my son absolutely loved it.

Ambience. Glorious. The restaurant at night is very, very pretty with the big, low, windows thrown open and candles reflecting in the surrounding water features. The night we dined there it was very hot and I was uncomfortable the entire time, but it would be a difficult space to close up and air condition without ruining the ambience. Make sure you arrive early for a drink out on the verandah.

Menu. Lovely to read but quite deceptive. Tamarind has clearly bought into the infuriating trend of throwing practically every ingredient contained in a dish onto the menu description. My ‘Seared bug tails with chestnut noodles, choy sum, black beans, braised shiitake, pork crackle, Asian broth and a crispy ginger, chilli and garlic relish’ looked and tasted wonderful; BUT the dish arrived completely devoid of both black bean and pork crackle and the mushrooms and choi sum were represented as mere slivers. Dessert proved to be similar. My parfait was lovely, but had I chosen to go searching I’d have needed a CSI team to locate some of the elements. Please Chef, if an ingredient isn’t going to be visible on the plate and/or indefinable on the palate or it’s only a garnish, it shouldn’t be mentioned on the menu as a main player.

Food. Menu aside, the food is great; delicate, well balanced and very pretty. My bug tails were perfectly cooked, the noodles were beautifully earthy and the broth was delicate. My sons green curry with chicken dumpling was a lovely take on the original and he really enjoyed it. If I’d known that my ‘bugs, beans and pork’ wasn’t going to come with beans or pork, and my ‘parfait and rice’ wasn’t going to come with at least a mouthful of rice I’d have probably chosen differently, but the food was still delicious. I chose the Cambodian fish salad on the waiters recommendation and wish I’d stuck to my original choice, but that was my own fault.

All in all, we had a lovely night and we'd happily dine there again.

2  Thank Laonie
Reviewed January 3, 2013

The flavours of sweet, sour and spicy the innovative use of ingredients was well-balanced but the salty was to my palate a little on the salty side. Using miso paste, soy sauce and fish sauce and salted soy bean in some dishes can be a little over-powering not only on the palate but also on delicate foods like crab and bugs. I think I would have enjoyed the dishes even more if the salt level had been tempered a little

1  Thank GlobeTrotters4001