“Modern Asian Excellence”

The Tamarind Restaurant & Cooking School
Reserve with
The Tamarind Restaurant & Cooking School is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 52 Restaurants in Maleny
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located at Spicers Tamarind Retreat, The Tamarind Restaurant, brings a taste of Thailand to the foothills of Maleny. Set in a tranquil outdoor pavilion designed to make the most of the peaceful location, our in-house restaurant The Tamarind specialises in innovative modern Asian cuisine. Headed by Executive Chef Daniel Jarrett, the team have created a menu that allows every dish to be a harmonious balance of flavours that will leave your mouth watering and your stomach begging for more. Fully licensed with an extensive wine, beer and cocktail list. The Tamarind is open to both in-house guests and the public for lunch and dinner. Lunch - Friday to Sunday with Breakfast & Dinner - 7 days a week.The Tamarind Cooking School offers a cut above the rest with a purpose-built cooking school headed by Chef Phil teaching the intricacies of Thai, French & Italian cuisine. The school features state of the art cooking stations, air-conditioned comfort and spectacular views perched amongst the beautiful green grounds overlooking the rainforest. Each class is highly informative, hands-on and intimate (limited to maximum 12 people). Chef Phil teaches in a simple, approachable way, enabling you to recreate delicious dishes at home to impress family and friends. Demonstration classes are also available, where you can learn unique tips in a short 2 hour class. Take home the skills to make dumplings, desserts to tie for or impress your friends with a range of great dinner table options.
Brisbane, Australia
“Modern Asian Excellence”
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at Tamarind and ate at The long apron at Clovelly up the road on the first night and Tamarind on the second. We should have eaten at Tamarind on both nights! We went with the five course degustation but also wanted the Thai red curry duck which the staff were more than happy to add a sixth course to accommodate our wants. There was not one dish that came out that my partner or I was not blown away with, both presentation and taste. The dishes were imaginative, full of flavour and exciting. Completely opposite to the dull and boring Long Apron restaurant at the sister estate up the road. The dishes admittedly lacked the traditional Thai "I can't feel my lips from the chilli" hot punch but the chilli and fish oil supplement took care of that problem. The wine list needs attention but overall a very well thought out menu that over delivered on my expectations.

David A, General Manager at The Tamarind Restaurant & Cooking School, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear Rhodsey,

Thank you for your response. They are very kind and humbling words that Daniel Jarrett and his team are most grateful for.

Daniels blend of Asian cultures in his food is a continual and exciting evolution. Balancing and respecting the classic and traditional Thai and Asian dishes on the menu is very important, but also to modernise these Asian influences into western food gives Daniel his contemporary and unique style that is producing full-flavoured mouth sensations.

The wine list has been updated and although not lengthy what we endeavour to do is select the most suitable varietals for the summer menu which are best in class of any particular vintage. This way it only ever offers the best for those dining.

Rhodsey thanks again for dining with us and for your succinct and depictive description of your experience, it is greatly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back.

David Assef

Brisbane
“Stunning food and unforgettable service!!”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

As part of our honeymoon celebrations we booked a gourmet getaway with Spicer's Clovelley Estate which included a dinner with transfers at The Tamarind. Just an absolutely perfect finish to the flawless and impeccable experience we have had with the whole Spicer's team. The food was sensational and very well presented and as always the service perfect! I highly recommend both Clovelly and The Tamarind for a special occasion and certainly will be back!!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

My friend and I had an amaising stay at Spicers Tamarind! One of our many highlights was dining at The Tamarind resturant. My friend and I ended up ordering different dish's and sharing everything because the food was sooo exquisite. The service had the perfect balance of professionalism and wormth. I am looking forward to my next visit!

Sunshine Coast, Australia
“TOP END PRICING BUT IS IT TOP END DINING?”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Six of us 'locals' celebrated a family birthday with a 7pm T.G.I.F. dinner at Tamarind, and maybe lunch would have been a better choice as it clearly has a lovely daytime ambience but by night it was just another (quite small) venue. The 2 waitresses couldn't have been more friendly and helpful so top marks there girls, and we had to check out the nice little bar area and the girls served our drinks perfectly - a nice glass does make a drink taste better ya know!
For dinner we all took the lazy option and went the 5 course Thai banquet at $95 a pop but is it worth that price tag - I'd say not. 3 or 4 chefs in the semi-open kitchen produced a gorgeously coconut creamy soup to kick off with porcini mushrooms served with nicely moulded boiled rice - a Thai tradition we were told so eat it up, and as a first course it was large but it got top flavour marks. Cuttle fish salad followed which also ticked all the boxes. A passionfruit sorbet, then came a duck curry (anyone seen the duck as my wife said!?) with lychees in another creamy coconut sauce and more rice - did we really need more coconut cream and rice? Wee side bowls of chopped chilli/fish sauce saved the day for those of us looking for traditional Thai heat, as it wasn't in the curry. Better mention the wines before dessert - a quite small wine list but very good and maybe too Aus-centric for folk that want wider-world choices, but we were very happy with our Margaret River blends and the prices were at the top but bearable, so we had a 2nd red. Finally the dessert platters with 5 little tastes - very nice (hate that word but thats all I can say about it) and two of our little tastes had black rice - more rice!?
So we all were quite replete (probably all that rice) and handed over our $800+, but something hadn't hit the buttons along the line and whilst we all had a nice family dinner and the Tamarind team tried hard, I find it hard to give the food a "top of the pops for value" report when we live in an age when Thai food is so commonplace, and especially as we live in an area where there are some excellent restaurants (like the Thai oriented Spirit House) competing for our business, so I'd be interested to read reviews by other folk on Tamarind, before I went back (for lunch).

• Visited September 2012