“Amazing!”

Maleny Botanic Gardens & Bird World
Ranked #2 of 20 things to do in Maleny
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Visit the 'Jewel' of Maleny: Maleny Botanic Gardens & Bird World: AN UNFORGETTABLE EXPERIENCE. "The most exquisite gardens I've seen in my 41 years in the garden business. It will be the next wonder of the world!" Graham Ellis, The Garden Guru 2011. Set on over three hectares the manicured, magnificent Gardens are positioned high on the escarpment. They are privately owned and form a panorama of waterfalls, lakes, ponds and colourful plantings. Uniquely landscaped layers, idyllic rainforest surroundings and the spectacular Glasshouse Mountains backdrop create a truly unique garden. BIRD WORLD: Our facilitated, interactive Bird Encounter in the Bird Aviary brings you up close and personal with colourful birds of the world from Finches to Macaws. We conduct regular guided walks daily, please enquire about Tour Times when purchasing your Garden Entry, as tour times may vary due to demand. Sit near the waterfall, watch, listen and photograph birds as they alight upon you -an awesome experience. Then visit our MINIATURE ANIMAL enclosure - a favourite with all ages. Enjoy chicken, ducks, geese, guinea fowl and pat our miniature animals: Ginger & Frosty the alpacas,cuddle Bah Bah the sheep and snowflake the billy goat, enjoy Sparky the horse, Pippen the donkey. There are lovely walks throughout the Gardens however you are welcome to just enjoy our fabulous Devonshire Tea any time during the day, in one of the gazebos overlooking the Gardens and mountains. Bring a picnic to enjoy in the gardens by one of the many lakes, lounge on your blanket and soak up the peace and serenity. You can even bring your dog on a lead! Our gazebos are ideal to hold your special celebration with friends or family - book for a High Tea catered especially for you. For group bookings phone or email us to arrange a date and time. A breathtaking location for your magical day: "You could not have a more beautiful venue for your wedding" is a comment we regularly receive. Explore the many tranquil and romantic settings for your ceremony and photography and choose one or a combination of components to suit your special day. The photo opportunities are endless. Let the sights and the sound of running water enchant you and your guests and provide you with an experience that you will cherish for life. Gardens are open 9am to 4.30pm on weekends, Queensland school holidays, Queensland public holidays and closed week days. Aviary tours several times daily. Entry by Admission, take advantage of our Family Day and Annual Passes. 233 Maleny-Stanley River Road corner Mountain View Road, Maleny
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

A reasonable distance from Brisbane, Maleny is a beautiful part of the world. The gardens are lovely, with great views, and the Devonshire tea was just what we needed after the drive there.

However, what we really came for was the aviary, and we were not disappointed! For anyone wondering, you can only visit the aviary as part of a tour, however we thought that was a good thing for both the birds and the visitors, as our helpful guide was able to point out which birds we should avoid, and help children attract birds, etc.

There is a large variety of birds, and they seem healthy, happy and well cared for. Walking through the aviary with a fairly large group, it was surprising just how many birds landed on each of us at different times. It was an amazing and rare experience to meet so many of these beautiful birds close-up, especially the magnificent macaws.

As the guide suggested to us, removing jewellery and hair accessories is a good idea if you don't want the clever macaws to take them! I found that wearing a denim jacket made me very popular with a particular red macaw who liked chewing the buttons, so I'd recommend that trick to anyone keen to have a macaw sitting on their shoulder for most of the tour!

In addition to the birds, there are also a number of other friendly animals you can meet at the gardens, including sheep, alpacas, miniature horse, chickens, ducks and peacocks. This place was a great find, and we'd love to go back.

RegineMaleny, Front Office Manager at Maleny Botanic Gardens & Bird World, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
To be able to escape into nature & relaxation only an hours drive north of Brisbane has to be a good thing. There is so much to do, see & enjoy in the hinterland and our Gardens.
One of the enjoyments is our scrumptious Devonshire Tea & our interactive Bird display gets our visitors up close & personal with many colourful birds. Yes, birds are very quick to learn and all love buttons & shiny things, so don't wear your best outfit, as some of your buttons may be sacrificed as souvenirs to the birds.

Queensland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

The views of the Glass House Mountains are spectacular. The gardens still have some maturing to do and am sure they will look amazing over the years to come. Fantastic to be able to take your own picnic and sit in any one of the lovely gazebos - a great faciltiy to offer. The aviary at this stage is certainly the highlight. It doesn't look great from the outside but the experience is transformed once you are behind the gate and 'up close and personal' with such stunning birds. Well done, we will be sure to bring more of our visitors back here and look forward to seeing it evolve.

Visited August 2014
RegineMaleny, Front Office Manager at Maleny Botanic Gardens & Bird World, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
We hear your comment "the Aviary is a highlight" a lot. You don't have to be a bird enthusiast to enjoy our winged and feathered Aviary inhabitants. Be enchanted by their colourful plumage and characters, delight in their interaction with us humans: be it by alighting upon you, parading in front of you, feeding out of your hand or spreading their wings in flight, not to mention their calls, chatter and happy 'hellos'.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Well Worth Visiting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our visit today, but will have to return in spring when I'm sure it will be even better.The views are amazing, and the work and planning that has gone into these gardens is excellent.So good to have plenty of areas for people to sit and soak up the atmosphere.
For anyone planning a wedding you would have to check out these gardens with all the lovely water features and ponds.
Don't miss a tour of the aviary we had a lovely young guide, Anna who was very informative about all the birds and obviously loved her job.So many different breeds and what characters.
Very good Devonshire Teas also.
Wear flat shoes most paths are gravel.

1 Thank sue t
Great advice to wear flat shoes as there are many lovely paths to explore for those keen for a wander. We are glad you got to enjoy the company of some of our feathered characters aided by our lovely Aviary Guide Anna. Thank you for taking the time to write your review and your 'thumbs up'.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great place to visit.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

Went there today great place beautiful gardens and the bird aviary and it's inhabitants are to die for if you like birds it is a must see. The lovely young girls who run the tour are so knowledgeable and the birds are delightful. Very friendly and so pretty. The Devonshire coffees are scrumptious and the staff are very pleasant. Plenty of parking space my only negative would be that if you are not so good with walking or are elderly you may need help. My suggestion would be to invest in a little open bus to take tourists from one level to the next cause walking up those hills is a bit much. It is not cheap but well worth the fee.

1 Thank Bev K
Thank you for your warm feedback of your Garden & Aviary visit. We are working on a mode of transport within the Gardens for the less mobile of our visitors, however in the meantime we allow selective vehicle access to the lower level for those with impediments. Please ask our friendly staff at the entry.
Brisbane, Australia
“A great place to take all the family on the Sunshine Coast QLD”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

On arrival I had a great feeling just by the view. I loved that there were umbrellas at the entrance for patrons use while in the gardens if you needed one.That showed that this was a great little community that thought of the little things that can make an experience more pleasant.
Honestly I have never been to a tourist destination where all the staff I met were totally happy and friendly. Three separate staff members even introduced themselves and asked my name. So many people these forget basic manners but not at your place. I arrived not feeling great and I left feeling on top of the world. It was a brilliant day. The aviary was worth every cent and I loved it. I have never held a bird before and was so excited that not only did I hold one but many decided to come and say hello. The ponies and goats were cute as well. I will be back. Thanks again. Donna and Annie were brilliant. I hope I got the names right if not sorry.
The waterfalls were lovely. We wondered around with a pram. I got a workout on some hills as I ventured far but sadly I saw no one else huffing and puffing so I was on my own in the unfit category (which doesnt reflect the park but I have added it in case you saw me huffing and puffing)
I had never heard of this park till I was on instagram today and saw flight centre regram a photo from one of their followers. When I saw a macaw I had to go to Maleny Botanic Gardens.So a couple of hours later my awesome day started. The signage isn't great as I did drive past the entrance at first. The company vehicle was out the front of the entrance but I drove past before I had realised and had to turn around further up the road.
I enjoy photography and could stay there all day.
They had a trampoline near one of the carparks that welcome children to use it under adult supervision which my 3 year old was happy about but we were leaving as we spotted it.
I will be going back and hope to make it a regular spot I visit

Visited August 2014
Your review moved me to tears today. We work so very hard towards achieving our goal of giving our visitors a place to enjoy, feel special and at home in the owners (Frank's,admittedly very large) backyard, which he opened up to the public feeling it is too precious to just keep to himself.
To know that our visitors truly appreciate this and the opportunity to connect with nature and our feathered friends, (get fit) is heart warming & your feedback very special. I truly appreciate our wonderful team of dedicated staff, be it in the garden, the aviary, the office, the cafe or visitor area, but most of all Frank, the owner who makes all this possible. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to welcome you when you return, sounds like you may want to take advantage of our Annual Pass. Warm regards and thank you from all the team at Maleny Botanic Gardens & Bird World