“far less than expected”

Spicers Tamarind Retreat
Ranked #1 of 18 Specialty Lodging in Maleny
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We were here for a Maleny Commerce Business Breakfast. Billed as the top accommodation in the area we expected there to be a vegetarian option, but no chance so along with the rather distant staff we found it very poor value.
Poor coffee, surely somewhere with this reputation can do a decent coffee, but no.
Very disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank tony b
David A, General Manager at Spicers Tamarind Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Dear Tony,

Thank you for your feedback. As previously mentioned were were trialing a new commercial grade multi pour coffee machine which caters for numbers of 40+ ideal when guests need to arrive and be seated quickly such as this meeting. We acknowledge that the milk dispensing unit does not heat to a level that meets everyone's liking and will in future stick with the Espresso machine.

As discussed the food had been pre-ordered based on a small budget but we never felt we compromised on quality or quantity however, I appreciate that we didnt meet or exceed your expectation with food or service which we strive to do for all guests that come to our property.

Tony a business chamber meeting I believe is about growing and supporting small business, by networking, and assisting one another to drive more visitation to the area and recommend businesses locally, honest communication and relationships are key amongst members to ensure this success. Ultimately we want nothing to stand in the way of visitors to come to the region and leave with only positive lasting memories that they will share with others.

Tony I would love to invite you back and experience The Tamarind again when you can for breakfast, lunch or dinner so feel free to contact me direct on gm.sunshinecoast@spicersgroup.com.au or phone 0410 448 850 / 5420 5420 anytime.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have had this retreat down on my 'bucket list' and it didn't disappoint. From the beautiful surroundings to the superb villas and devine food. Certainly a real treat. I brought friends with us and we had a 2 bedroom villa. It was very private and well equped to enjoy on our own and take advantage of the facilities on site. Don't get me started on the spa ... Magnificent! Don't hesitate, book in and enjoy!

1  Thank Imation
David A, General Manager at Spicers Tamarind Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Dear Imation,

The 2 bedroom villas that can also be used as a one bedroom have become very popular. The spaciousness in the lounge room, bedrooms and deck area really lend themselves to a comfortable 3 to 7 night stay. Being able to accommodate children or 2 couples for special occasions as you did make them affordable, fun and private.
I am pleased you were able to experience Spa Anise Day spa...it truly is a masterpiece not only by design and comfort but also due to the experienced and caring team.

Thank you for staying with us and I look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

This place is beautiful.. It is what you make of it and I think it's best enjoyed in the cooler months with a bit of rain, which is what we had, and it was magic!!
The cedar Spa- absolutely blissful! Take champagne or fave drop, toast some marshmallows on the fire, walk to the falls (2mins)..
The Tamarind Restaurant- Degustation Menu was one of the best meals we'd ever had! They let us change the dessert to Creme Brûlée which was Devine! Service was great, meals were served in really good time, dim lighting created the perfect ambience, a really comfortable place..
We're now looking forward to a visit to The Long Apron..
Lunch at the Cheese Factory and local fudge and wineries to top it off! Perfection!!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Tarns29

Dear Rewabred,

The cedar hot tubs are definitely one of the attractions here at Spicers Tamarind Retreat & Spa.
You have captured the essence of what we are all about where you have indulged in your in the restaurant, villa and the beautiful grounds that we blessed to be surrounded by.
Enjoy your time at The Long Apron and the iconic Maleny Cheese factory you wont be disappointed.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I recently visited the Tamarind Spa retreat. The setting was lovely and peaceful and the presentation of the Spa was clean, eco and modern.

The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. I had the Signature treatment which was great. I felt very relaxed at the end of my treatment.

They offered me a welcome drink, a choice of music for my treatment and a refreshment drink afterwards.

I felt the only area I could see room for improvement was a shelf in the bathroom to put my handbag on so they are not on the floor and a hair dryer. Other than that, I was impressed.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Dear QLDKEL,

The signature spa treatment certainly is a relaxing and indulgent way of unwinding and giving yourself the revitalisation and pick-up we all need from time to time.
I am so please to hear you enjoyed the total experience.

Thank you for your comments regarding the shelf in the changerooms above the sink. Based on your feedback we will be installing a shelf in both changerooms over the coming months to assist those without lockers...great recommendation!

Kel we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

General Mananger

Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in January 2013 as an early anniversary getaway. We drove from Brisbane on a Friday afternoon for a 2 night stay. We were greeted by the manager David, who was very helpful, explained all the features of the resort and answered any questions we had. We felt very welcome from the time we arrived!

The resort is a lovely, peaceful quiet resort up in the Sunshine coast Hinterlands. We had both never been to Maleny before, but loved our stay. We were in Villa 1 which was a private cabin but not too secluded. The Cabin was beautiful, big spacious bed, a lovely bedroom, large bathroom with double showers, cosy living room with fireplace (although it was summer so it didn't get any use), small sink and fridge and a nice outdoor shaded deck with a private hot tub! The hot tub water temperature was always warm, and could be used anytime of the day/night in comfort.

We ate at the Spicers Tamarind Restaurant for dinner one evening and enjoyed the food there. It is a Thai inspired menu with lots of use of Tamarind :) It was great, a very nice restaurant.

We also went to the spa and had a massage. The service there was impeccable. We were warmly greeted by the staff there (Karen x2 I believe) and enjoyed a very relaxing massage. I'd definitely recommend it if you are after relaxation. The outdoor pool area was lovely, and we enjoyed a nice afternoon swim and spa too in the lovely summer weather. The pool was not busy at all.

The Gardners Falls are just a short walk behind the resort. There is no path. Given it was summer, the falls were packed with people from the area cooling off! It was quite pretty. We also enjoyed driving into Maleny town and also the nearby Montville with it's quaint little stores/cafes.

Overall we had a fantastic stay at Spicers Tamarind Retreat, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing or romantic getaway.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ihearteurope10

Dear I Love Europe 10,

Thank you for celebrating your anniversary here at The Tamarind.
The property has many experiences for guests to do as much or as little as they want and it sounds as though you made the most of everything that the property has to offer as well as the surrounding area.
We love receiving all feedback so I thank you for your response and I look forward to welcoming you back for your next anniversary or sooner ;).

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Close to the sunshine coast, excellent setting in subtropical rain forest with tasteful and comfortable cabins,with quality inclusions. Impeccably clean with crisp linen and fluffy towels and polished timber flooring and hot tub on the private deck, perfect for sipping champagne on a cool day.The jewel in the crown is the restaurant which provides an array of a Thai cuisine with subtle variations.Setting is pleasant with water features.
Service is spot on with attentive staff who will look after your needs.Highly recommended.Not a cheap weekend but great value.

Room Tip: Those with a hot tub great in cooler months
1  Thank Ian C

Thank you for your response...it always pleases me to hear you enjoyed the entire experience here at The Tamarind Retreat & Spa.
Thank you for your kind words and I look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

This stay was everything one might hope for: quality accommodation, delightful taste experiences, and something a little different in the cedar outdoor hot tub.

The rooms are delightful - luxury safari cabins, if you like, with outrageously indulgent carpets in surrounding the kind sized bed, and lovely finishings.

The Tamarind restaurant surprises with some great twists and new takes on dishes.

A perfect stay, and a lovely swimming hole at the end of the garden area - although the river can get busy at weekends...which I guess attests to it's beauty and fun!

1  Thank Darren C
SpicersGroup, General Manager at Spicers Tamarind Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear Darren,

Its great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and you had a chance to experience Garners Falls which is flowing beautifully as I write this following all the rain and will now remain strong for the next 7 months.
We pride ourselves on comfort in room and are very much food driven properties...some may even say we are 'restaurants with rooms'!

Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the future.

David Assef

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maleny
Narrows Escape Rainforest Retreat
Blue Summit Cottages
Blue Summit Cottages
#1 of 15 in Maleny
Egyptian Dream Retreat

Been to Spicers Tamarind Retreat? Share your experiences!