“Glad I had my camera with a zoom!”

The Australian Platypus Park at Tarzali Lakes
Ranked #3 of 10 things to do in Malanda
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Australian Platypus Park is home to a thriving platypus population. These wonderful creatures can be found in a spring fed pond surrounded by lush tropical vegetation. This magnificent setting draws in enthusiastic visitors from all over the globe. Dining is available in the Smokehouse Cafe, which serves a selection of great meals at reasonable prices, and we are licensed so you can enjoy a drink with your meal or snack. The Smokehouse Cafe opens at 8am with Guided Platypus tours starting at 9am and departing every 30 minutes throughout the day. Breakfast Menu 8am til 11am Main Menu from 11am to 4pm Platypus Tours every 30 minutes starting at 9am. Last tour starts at 4pm.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed May 4, 2017

I am an amateur photographer and I love the challenge of capturing wild life on my camera. I could not imagine anything more challenging than photographing a platypus.
I was told by the manager that the platypus were shy and sometimes difficult to spot.
No such problem. Once I set up my tripod and camera, I was graced within minutes with 2 platypus. They were difficult to shoot because they continuously kept frolicking in and out of the water. With some patience and using my long distance viewer, I was able to shoot another platypus swimming some distance away. From thereon, I sighted more and had a wonderful camera experience.
It is a shame I did not have my family with me but I will return there with my wife and 2 boys.
Romano Cesare

RHughesAUS, Customer Services at The Australian Platypus Park at Tarzali Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2017

We are glad you had a great time and managed to have that camera experience you were after.
They do like to play, and their movements and small size mixed with water does tend to make capturing good shots on camera hard, but when you get a nice shot, you do know it and can feel proud that you managed to get it.

We look forward to seeing you back here at the Australian Platypus Park along with you wife and children.

All reviews
"natural environment"
"zoom lens"
"amazing opportunity"
in 2 reviews
"our guide was extremely knowledgeable"
"bacon"
"in house"
"wild animals"
"entry fee"
"young kids"
"per adult"
"driving past"

Reviewed May 2, 2017

I wanted to see one so bad. So when we saw this advertised. I said we are going there. We came and we saw. They are here. You walk down to the pond they are in and eventually they will start swimming around and you will see them. Hard to catch on camera, but they are there. Yu can fish here too, but I only wanted to see the platypus.

Glad you managed to see our Platypus in action. They are indeed, wonderful animals.

Reviewed April 15, 2017 via mobile

We visited The Australian Platypus Park yesterday with our young kids (3,7,10,12) and we had a fantastic day.
Although these animals are shy and rare, we saw at least 5!!!
We also had a really nice lunch with wonderful views to the lake.
Great service of the friendly staff
Highly recommended
Udi and Shira

RHughesAUS, Customer Services at The Australian Platypus Park at Tarzali Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2017

Glad you had a wonderful visit, and the kids saw the Platypus at play.

Reviewed April 11, 2017

We we spotted the Park entrance while driving past, and turned round to visit on a whim. And am I glad we did. OK we had to wait by the lake half an hour, but suddenly there were two platypus swimming around in front of us. So I've now seen in the wild something few others have. Tina was a great host, giving lots of insight, and the cake was pretty good too.

RHughesAUS, Customer Services at The Australian Platypus Park at Tarzali Lakes, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2017

We are glad you decided to turn around and pay us a visit.
The Platypus is a amazing little animal and we are happy you were able to see two of them swimming around.
Glad you loved the cake, we love it as well.

Robyn Hughes
Customer Services

See more reviews
Reviewed April 10, 2017 via mobile

Fishing lakes that have found they attract platypus which thankfully the owners are now ensuring are protected and cared for. Little cafe and informative briefing before you are sent off with a few hints on best chance of viewing the little fellows. We spent an hour and saw at least 5 individuals and managed a few decent photos. Patience is critical as with any wildlife watching though!

I am glad you managed to see 5 of them when you visited.
We would love to see your photos, could you please post them on trip advisor or our facebook page so we can share them with the world.