“A very pleasant stay”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Longreach
Brisbane, Australia
“A very pleasant stay”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

This was our first visit to Longreach & told by likewise travellers to book ahead. We had a couple of bad experiences doing this so wasn't looking forward to the stay. However we were pleasantly surprised with the comfortable bed, size of room but most of all with the cleanliness, not a speck of dust was found. The added comforts of jug & microwave helped when we didn't want to eat out after a very busy day at Hall of Fame. The room wasn't modern but furniture was comfortable. Definitely recommend the Jumbuck motel to travellers & the cost was very reasonable compared to other motels. Thank you Judy for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trish T
DamienKennedy, Owner at The Jumbuck Motel, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear Trish T,

Thankyou for your positive review. We love surprising people in a positive way. Many of our guests have commented on how lovely and clean our rooms are. It is particularly rewarding when we realise The Jumbuck is attracting many guests who used to stay here and had stopped doing so. The rooms aren't modern though it should be said that bricks and tiles do not a room make and its amazing how new carpet , tvs, bench tops and some paint etc can lift a room and help make a stay comfortable .

Thanks again.

Damien Kennedy.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Upon arrival the electrician was working, therefore there was no power. Our room had not been vaccuumed due to this reason however was done later on. Beds are very comfortable however air con unit doesnt cool the room down so was a little uncomfortable. Also, though brick walls you can hear plumbing noise from the room next door (when having a shower or toilet flushing) through the wall. Also id suggest the owners introduce a noise restriction after a certain time of night. After a long days travel, I was still awake till late because of persons talking loudly outside and the room next door. The room itself is very clean and new carpets make it feel more comfortable. If the negatives in my review could be attended to, id be happy to stay again.

• Stayed June 2014
DamienKennedy, Manager at The Jumbuck Motel, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear Mozzy R,

Thanks for taking your time to write your review. I would suggest though that you are a fairly hard marker.
I apologize for not having your room completely finished upon arrival. We had electricians staying in house, for three weeks , who were replacing all sub boards , installing everything under safety swithches for our staff and customer benefit and carrying our many rewiring and improvements not attended to, in some cases, for decades. There was one day in the three weeks when all our very careful planning didn't quite go to plan and electricity supply was delayed for a couple of hours in the afternoon. Obviously the day you arrived. This was in no way intentional or could have been avoided. Again I apologize.

As far as the aircons go , I am sorry yours didn't cool effectively. At this time of the year when we have really warm days and cool to cold nights we sometimes have guests who have their aircons on the incorrect settings. For instance, during the day it could be on the cooling setting which will not warm the room at night no matter how high the temperature is set. In any case I certainly would have checked for you if I or our wonderful staff had been asked . If there was a problem we would have helped you shift to a different room at once. Although you have complained on this forum , I now have no way of knowing which room you stayed in or whether you really did have a faulty aircon . We have had no complaints since so perhaps it was just a simple setting issue.

As far as noise reduction between rooms is concerned , I would suggest that when paying as little as 105 dollars, if booked online , it is to be expected that some things are not "5 star" standard . We believe , overwhelmingly supported by feedback , that our rooms and facilities represent excellent value for money. I would point out that there are hundreds of motels and hotels who charge many multiples of our tariff with similar acoustics. I do apologize however for your discomfort.

As I have alluded to and openly stated in other responses , we are onsite for good reason. We are always available to help our guests. If someone is speaking loudly outside your room at an unreasonable hour , of course we are available by a simple call to reception and would respond to any request for assistance. This is a basic tenent of our philosophy. In any case, a polite request by you to the person involved may have acheived the result you desired. We rely on common decency and politeness in everybody who stay here and are invariably rewarded with this basic good and decent behaviour and see no point or positive benefit , in fact many possible negatives, in posting numerous notices and requests all around the property.

Thanks again for your important feedback and I hope you will always feel comfortable, particularly, in asking for help whist staying at family run motels in country areas.

Damien Kennedy..
Caringbah, Australia
Reviewed June 6, 2014

We went to longreach to stay a couple of days stayed 3 nights fantastic family orientated accommodation for $105.00 per night. All staff very much customer focus , we asked for a toaster & microwave no problem delivered in a flash. Would defiantly recomend ,great outback motel would definatly stay again if in longreach.

Room Tip: Most rooms have just been recently done up just check on chech in.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Bob A,

Hello Bob. I remember when you stayed and I want to thank you very much for taking the time to write a lovely review. I can see you were able to access one of the "minimum two night "deals online. Great value for sure.

As I stated in other responses , we are more than happy to help our guests with all sorts of things including toasters and microwaves which are certainly readily available for those guests who do not require a room service breakfast which is available every day. I remember helping you with your decisions on where to go and what to visit and experience whilst staying here .

Thanks again and please come and see Longreach and region again.

Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Stayed 3 nights then came back for another visit.Judy & Damien do it just fine for you.Price is affordable comfort is great.Food is excellent, staff are always helpful & obliging.They are improving the fittings etc & should make the motel even more comfortable.
Definately a place to re visit. Thankyou to them for our stay which was alongway from home.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear pollhereford,

Thankyou for your kind review and , most importantly, coming back to stay with us again!
It's a great compliment to have return customers and we have been very conscious in our efforts to enable this via our cleanliness , upgrades and service and great value for money.

I think we encouraged a visit to Winton , which we do all the time and is fantatsic , and you stayed again on your way back home.

Thanks again and I hope the Herefords are fat and healthy!

Wyong, Australia
Reviewed May 25, 2014

May 25, 2014
1night $110
Room 16
Remember motels in the outback are in a league of their own and for an outback motel it is pretty good. No luxuries just a basic room. The walls are clean and so is the room. The good thing is it has a comfy queen bed. A noisy AC that doesn't cool as good as it should and after a while you have to turn it off because it annoys so much. I thought it was windy outside got up to check it out, it was the fridge making a loud whirring noise. A simple fan would be nice just to circulate the air. Where a patch of carpet has been ruined a mat of another colour has been used to replace it.
The carpet is worn and stained in some places, 60's style vinyl square tiles at the entrance all very outdated.
They look like they have updated the bathroom with a very modern above cabinet basin, very nice. The tiles are very clean but a few broken ones near the floor. The entire bathroom is very clean.
The TV does have a good selection of cable stations as well as free to air.
Overall a good night sleep and a comfortable stay.
In the afternoon the kangaroos feed on the lush green grass just outside the room. When it gets darker you must check out all the stars in the sky it's something you don't see in a big city.
A short stroll form the motel is the servo they make pretty good fish and chips.
Ask for the chips to be cooked extra crunchy... Delicious! Never thought I'd eat dinner from a servo.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear aussietraveller59,

Thank you for your positive review.. You have described your room accurately in that there was a piece of carpet in one corner. This is amazing in that the piece of carpet was exposed in the two day period between tearing out and replacing the old built in corner bench top and also replacing the old carpet , including the even older exposed piece. We did our very best to get it all done without having to put you in where the 3 feet by 1.5 feet piece of different carpet was however we just weren't able to do it in one day. I remember discussing with my bride whether a couple might prefer a new bed with the piece of carpet or a room with new carpet which had a good though not new bed. We opted for the new bed room believing a better bed was more important than better carpet. I think we were fully occupied that night and would have put a single person in the other option . I apologize for not letting you know about the irregular piece of carpet. The new carpet was installed the day you left and it extends right to the front door and also covers where the old lino tiles were.

The aircons are a bit noisy at times though we have not had issues with their ability to cool or warm and with a front and rear door, guests can allow the breeze to flow through when the weather is comfortable. The aircon can also be set to" fan only" and is significantly quieter in this mode . Perhaps it was a simple setting adjustment required which I would happily have checked for you if you had asked .
We also like to know about things like noisy fridges . That's why we live on site and with our staff ,are available to help whenever we can. By being available to help our guests it has enabled us to build excellent relationships and return customers. Our committment to helping our guests with the little things has helped us lift the occupancy, dramatically, at a time when , generally , things are a bit slower. We can't help though , if we don't know.

Thanks again for your positive review.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Nice old world charm in the rooms - new carpets and a great attempt to make an old unit brand new... It wont happen, the bones are too deep BUT... this motel was perfectly adequate for a great nights sleep - the air-con was silent and it worked well. Fridge worked - bed, very good and clean crisp sheets. A pleasant manager who was battling to save the lawns with a sprinkler.

I think the price at $115.00 per night is right at the top of the market - across Australia I have stayed in much better units for $85. I guess having said that, it was Longreach, you are in the middle of nowhere and they are in the midst of a drought that can only be described as soul destroying. Few other guests and so I am not really niggling about a high price...
Without guests moteliers starve - without regular clientele, they can never update a motel and provide good beds and those basic things.

The key to me was that property was clean... and I found it comfortable...

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Jeff M
Dear Jeff M,

Thank you for your review. Yes we certainly were struggling to save our lawns during your stay. It was very hot and our expansive lawns had to be watered by hand during severe water restrictions, now lifted, so it was all hands on deck during the couple of hours per week we were permitted to do so. Friends , family and frineds of friends would arrive to help us bring relief through hand held "sprinklers".

April arrived , bringing relieving rains in the headwaters of our Thomson River which was a very welcome relief for the towns water supplies.

I accept our building is not new . However, we have never attempted to simply make an" old unit new" . Quite the opposite. We recognized the very point you make in that the building itself has some age to it and therefore we made a conscious and deliberate effort to invest our funds effectively to offer a great value for money room in line with our target market. With this philosophy in mind we invested in things other than tiles and brick rendering, for instance, because our typical guest has preferred to stay in a clean room with new carpets , benches and tvs etc and not have to be charged extra on their account to cover the cost of replacing perfectly good , though older , tiles.

For a motel of our rating , from any reasonable and objective appraisal , we believe our rooms and facilities are very good value and I would certainly like to challenge your claim of staying in comparable motels for 85 dollars. I would suggest , with credible observation, that similar or less quality rooms in motels to the east, west, north and south of Longreach , without access to pool, bar b que, function and conference facilities and restaurant , ask and receive up to 150 dollars per night. I know this because many of our guests comment after they have stayed in motel rooms in other towns and our family also stay in motels in other towns. There is no way from an objective point of view that our tariffs are not excellent value for money in our market .

I hope you will stay with us again and that I have helped you understand our philosophy of a "function over form" strategy in bringing clean comfortable and great value accommodation to our important guests.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Ònce again, checked into the Jumbuck Motel for my visit to see clients in Longreach. always clean, friendly. Got one of the refurbished rooms, new carpets and bed. It's true what they say about country hospitality, Keep up the great work Damien and Judy and Staff *****

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank David C
Dear David,

Thanks David. It's really important to us to have a "regular" take time to write a review . We will do our best to continue providing you with a comfortable room and the service you have come to rely on when you visit Longreach.
Thanks again and seee you next time!
Yours Faithjfully,