“Gold class - must”

and up
Barron River Half-Day White Water Rafting from Cairns
Ranked #2 of 31 things to do in Kuranda
More attraction details
Owner description: The original Kuranda Scenic Railway is a spectacular journey comprising unsurpassed views of World Heritage Listed rainforest, steep ravines and picuresque waterfalls within the Barron Gorge National Park. This famous railway winds its way from Cairns to Kuranda, the village in the rainforest. Constructed between 1882 and 1891 it is considered an engineering feat of tremendous magnitude. Hundreds of men were employed to build the 15 hand-made tunnels and 37 bridges that stand as a monument to the pioneers of tropical North Queensland
San Francisco, California
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Gold class - must”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Definitely upgrade and purchase a Gold class ticket, sooo worth it. You get your own assigned cushioned chair, a cheese and cracker small plate, macadamia nuts and a hostess bringing you drinks (included in price). The ride was beautiful and peaceful. A definite one-time must see.

One side of the train's view is far superior to the other, much of the action is off to the east so try to get the appropriate side when purchasing your gold class assigned seat.

1 Thank Janelle W

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Beautiful and Historic”
Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

We travelled on the scenic rail with our two young children from Kuranda to Freshwater and all thoroughly enjoyed it.
The scenery was spectacular and the history was just fascinating.
My kids were excited about going on the train and about halfway the rocking of the rail rocked them right off to sleep! So they stretched out on the padded seats and had a snooze for the remainder of the journey.
I didn't find the train to be hot, we had the windows all open and made use of the free spring water provided in the carriage.
From Freshwater we used the bus transfer back to Skywater which was an easy convenient for people doing self drive.
Highly recommend to everyone.

1 Thank Toucan2128
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“One off experience”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

My partner and I were looking very much forward to this trip; however we were sorely disappointed. Firstly, we were in a carriage with fellow tourists who talked so loudly we could not hear the narration of the history of the railway nor able to hear each other even though we were sitting next to each other.
However, the view was spectacular and the opportunity to see Barron Gorge was fabulous.
Also, it was humid and very hot and the carriage offered no air-conditioning nor cooling we were sweaty and hot and bothered by the end of the trip.
It is a once in a lifetime experience, and I am glad we were able to be a part of it.

1 Thank dannioh
Melbourne
138 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 196 helpful votes
“Slow goes it”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I was looking forward too my trip on the train, having previously (some 10 years prior) travelled up and back on the Skyrail. Frankly, as much as I would love to say I really enjoyed the trip, I found it decidedly boring (aside from chatting with some lovely people opposite us) with views only available quite literally perhaps 10% of the time. The views were interspersed by cutaways, tunnels and lush vegetation.

When you did get a view it was over so quickly it became a game of 'the quick or the dead' with the camera. Sure, we made a stop and it was nice and the views great, however the train was full and the hundreds of people were all vying for a piece of the action.

Nutshelling, I would have to say that one either takes the Gold CLass option or takes the Skyrail. I know that if there is a next time I will take the Skyrail

Blind River, Canada
160 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Quite Enjoyable”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Some great views - at first looking down on Freshwater and the ocean in the distance and slowly getting into the forest. At a stop by Barron Falls we were allowed a few minutes to stretch our legs and look over at the falls. One can see the Skyrail cable cars from here also. A very nice viewing area with information displays explaining the history of the railroad and the rainforest. The old railway cars were in themselves a treat to see and ride in.

Visited October 2013