“Kuranda Safair Wildlife park”
Review of Cairns Wildlife Safari Reserve - CLOSED

Cairns Wildlife Safari Reserve
More attraction details
Owner description: Cairns Wildlife Safari Reserve is 40oklms west of Cairns. It is home to many exotic and endangered animals. Guest can enjoy the unique experince of Breakfst with the beast or Dine on the Edge where you are seated inside the lions enclouser and surrounded by 19 lions. This has the largest lion pride in australiasia. It is also a walk around park wtih many other animals, common hippo, pigmy hippo, brown bears, cheetah,white rhino, wallabies, many speices of monkeys and much more.
Townsville, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Kuranda Safair Wildlife park”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I took the family to Kuranda for the day and visited the wildlife park. The army duck tour was reasonably priced for the family and the children had a lot of fun. I found that the meal was expensive . Apart from that it was an enjoyable day.

Visited April 2013

Cairns, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great but would not go again.”
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We booked for Breakfast with the Beasts and glad we had. Being able to see the lions up close while they were eating was great. They gave out a few roars which made everyone jump.
The lady at reception was not friendly or welcoming in anyway. She was flustered with only 6 people in the office, I would hate to see how she was with a tour bus.
It makes me extremely happy to see the animals have such large areas to run/swim around in. It makes me cring when I see animals at zoos cramped into such small boxes.
I think they need to get more advertising out there and a more friendly person on the front desk and the people will be coming in their hundreds.

Rockhampton, Australia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“The only thing going for it were the animals”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Cairns Wildlife Safari Reserve, aka Shambala Animal Kingdom.

When we arrived the receptionist was on the phone discussing the possible sale of the establishment and left us waiting for over 15mins; we just walked in and came back to pay later.

The zoo was not well maintained (obviously understaffed) with a lack of shade being noticeable as we spent hours walking around in the heat of the day. The zoo keeper kept telling us that there were no talks on today as they were understaffed; so we payed entry and got see the animals but walked around unaccompanied the entire time. There was little information up and about so we were google-ing while we walked.

Most of the animals we saw from afar...however, if you're like me and have never seen some of these exotic animals before the whole trip was made worth while by seeing the lions up close. The brown bears were playful and we got to see the Hippopotamus feed (by luck). We waited an hour for the tiger only to be told he has anxiety and doesn't like people.

It was worth while for us as we're animal lovers and got to experience something we never had before. HOWEVER, the service and facilities were poor and it wasn't a friendly environment for young children with lots of walking up steep hills. Overall, I'm glad we went but I wouldn't go again.

Visited January 2013
Cairns, Australia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Good way to spend the day.”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a great little Zoo about 40 minutes from Cairns. If you want to hear the staff talk about all the animals you will need the whole day. But you can see everything in about 1/2 the day if you just like looking at the animals. They do a talk on each animal about every 1/2 hour.

Visited July 2012
4 Thank Fitzy4869
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't even bother.”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This Janurary my partner and I visited the worst zoo we've ever seen - Cairns Wildlife Safari Reserve, aka Shambala Animal Kingdom. I'm listing both of those names just in case anyone is confused when they see the faded signs with the old trading name. Here are a few bullet points to list clearly my disappointment on visiting:

- on entry and exit the receptionist was disinterested and rude. she was the only person we saw the whole time
- we only saw 5 animals over a few hours, the majority a speck in the distance
- the animals we did see were bored and vey sickly/ unhealthy looking with poorly maintained sleeping quarters
- the whole park is dilapidated and falling to pieces. eg. old signage, broken clocks so we couldn't work out the feeding times, otter pool was leaking massively leaving the poor things with barely any water (but no maintenance team in sight to fix this)
- upon arrival we discovered they no longer keep several species so there were many empty enclosures
- in cairns' heat the lack of overhead shade was disconcerting

I'm sure this zoo was once well loved, well maintained, and everything animal-loving children and adults could hope for. But those days are definitely over. The zoo is past it and I worry for the remaining animals still there. They simply do not look well fed, clean or disease-free.

I hardly write reviews from my holidays, but as there are no recent ones here on trip adviser I felt it necessary to warn would-be visitors. Your best bet with Shambla is to drive straight past - don't waste your money - and head to one of the other much friendlier, livelier, cleaner family-owned zoos that dot the cairns area.

1 Thank anna928