Review of Billabong Horseback Adventures - CLOSED

Billabong Horseback Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a locally owned an operated horse riding establishment located in Kuranda - a short breathtaking drive over the wet tropics ranges north west of Cairns. We are located on a rainforest property, in a wildlife corridor that is home to many native animals. Our horses are sourced loacally and we currently stable 25 horses of various breeds, and suitable to all riding abilities. We even have ponies for the kids. Our operation is very family friendly, unique and offers a personalised horseback experience to remember. We take out a maximum of 6 riders per group, teamed with guides who have many years of horse riding experience behind them. Whether it be an adventurous ride, a casual stroll, a couples getaway or a family affair, we have a tour, and horses to suit. We operate all year around, and cant wait to share our passion of riding with you !
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We visited Billabong this afternoon for a 2 hour trek, and as this was my first time on a horse was a little apprehensive about it. I am so glad we did this at Billabong as the whole experience was relaxed and easy going with introduction from Tom, and followed by the essential tuition from our guide for the afternoon, Tim. Tim's knowledge and commentary as we went through the rainforest made the time on the trek extra special. I can safely say it's been a positive experience for my first time, and I'd recommend highly to any one. As well as the horse riding they also have many other activities set in a great location, and if we'd had more time would gladly have pursued these.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

Had a great time. Staff were so lovely and the whole atmosphere was so genuine and they really cared about the horses and they made absolutely sure that you knew what you were doing before you went out by showing you exactly what to do!qz

Reviewed November 15, 2013

We are locals and have been looking for a quality trail riding establishment. We went riding at Billabong Horseback Adventures this week and had a really wonderful time.
The property is gorgeous, the trail ride was varied and interesting and the best way to describe the riding is by saying that it was tranquil, gorgeous and felt very intimate, with only six riders (and one guide). This is extremely important to us as we are not interested in going in a large group of people where you constantly have to listen to human voices and wait for everyone to catch up etc.
We found the horses really lovely and responsive enough. They also appeared to be healthy-looking and well looked after. I noticed simple things like extra foam padding under my horse's saddle - which I assume was to make the horse more comfortable. The saddles and bridles also appeared to be well looked after, which was really nice to see.
Katie, our leader, was professional and pleasant and made sure to cater for all the people on the ride - not pressuring anyone to trot if they were not comfortable. Again, nice to see.
The lunch was tasty and the whole atmosphere was very relaxed and personal - much appreciated !
We hope to do more riding at Billabong Horseback Adventures and if we continue to experience such a good quality trail riding adventure, I am sure we will be regular customers.
Keep up the good work Tom, family and the staff. It is really wonderful to see that you are passionate about what you do and treat your horses well. Believe me, these things do not go unnoticed.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We were picked up at 8am from our accommodation, and enjoyed the 45 min drive up to Kuranda. Upon arrival and completion of the usual paperwork, we were kitted out with our helmets, matched up to our horse, and given a briefing on the basic ways to use our reins to communicate with our hourse. All our horses were impeccably behaved, a gentle tug would bring them to a stop, a slight nudge to get them going again.

Katie led our 3 hr ride through the rainforest, and did an amazing job. She kept an eye on us, made sure everyone in our 4 person group was comfortable, and chatted easily amongst all of us.

Part of the safety requirements was that we could not use our cameras or GoPro while we were riding (even if it the GoPro was being worn on our head/write, etc), and Katy made sure we had all the photos that we wanted during the break in the middle of the ride.

The helmets smelled quite sweaty - might be useful for them to get a good wash on a regular basis, but that would be the only complaint I had for the whole time that we were there.

Lunch was simple but plentiful, and the hosts gladly allowed us into the kangaroo enclosure to feed, mingle and get photos with the kangaroos. On the way home, they offered the opportunity to stop at a lookout over Cairns, which gave us some wonderful photo opportunities. We were flying home not long after horseriding, and they offered to pick up our bags, store them in the car, and drop us off at the airport on the way.

All in all, this sesms like a family business and a very well run one at that. Highly recommended!!!

Thomas V, General Manager at Billabong Horseback Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Hi Edith,

Firstly I would like to thank you for submitting such a lovely review, and to say that I am delighted that you had a great day with us. We do our very best to ensure that everyone has a good time and takes home as many fond memories as possible :-)

I just wanted to touch on the helmet topic you raised, and advise clients that our helmets are in-fact replaced every 12 months. As you can imagine our helmets do get quite a lot of use by customers, and our humid climate does make it harder for helmets to completely dry out. However in combat of this, it is a procedure that following rides that our staff ensure helmets are sprayed with a disinfectant and odour neutraliser spray (Such as Glen 20). Whilst not always 100% effective, our aim of this is to reduce the smells of sweat as much as possible as well as reduce the risk to any bugs living in the helmets and therefore making the requirement of wearing a helmet much more pleasant than over a helmet not maintained at all.

We hope to see you again soon!

Thomas Verfurth
Managing Director

See more reviews
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We decided to do this on our last day in Cairns and so glad we didn't miss out on what is an incredible and unique experience. My partner is an advanced rider but this was my first time on a horse, it was just the two of us in the group which was great and our guide Kaity looked after us both very well, me more so as I had no clue how to ride! The location itself is beautiful and the ride was kept interesting by a variety of different terrain, it was a great day to go riding and as the conditions favoured us I was able to attempt to trot on a few occasions and even got a chance to canter. I was told by Kaity and my partner that I did very well but I give all the credit to my horse Rocky who was perfect.
Would definately recommend this to anyone no matter what their riding experience. Tom also looked after us very well and can see he really cares for the welfare of the animals and people.
Thanks again to Tom and Kaity for a brilliant day.