“Fantastic day!!”
Review of Billabong Horseback Adventures - CLOSED

Billabong Horseback Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a locally owned an operated horse riding establishment located in Kuranda - a short breathtaking drive over the wet tropics ranges north west of Cairns. We are located on a rainforest property, in a wildlife corridor that is home to many native animals. Our horses are sourced loacally and we currently stable 25 horses of various breeds, and suitable to all riding abilities. We even have ponies for the kids. Our operation is very family friendly, unique and offers a personalised horseback experience to remember. We take out a maximum of 6 riders per group, teamed with guides who have many years of horse riding experience behind them. Whether it be an adventurous ride, a casual stroll, a couples getaway or a family affair, we have a tour, and horses to suit. We operate all year around, and cant wait to share our passion of riding with you !
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We were picked up at 8am from our accommodation, and enjoyed the 45 min drive up to Kuranda. Upon arrival and completion of the usual paperwork, we were kitted out with our helmets, matched up to our horse, and given a briefing on the basic ways to use our reins to communicate with our hourse. All our horses were impeccably behaved, a gentle tug would bring them to a stop, a slight nudge to get them going again.

Katie led our 3 hr ride through the rainforest, and did an amazing job. She kept an eye on us, made sure everyone in our 4 person group was comfortable, and chatted easily amongst all of us.

Part of the safety requirements was that we could not use our cameras or GoPro while we were riding (even if it the GoPro was being worn on our head/write, etc), and Katy made sure we had all the photos that we wanted during the break in the middle of the ride.

The helmets smelled quite sweaty - might be useful for them to get a good wash on a regular basis, but that would be the only complaint I had for the whole time that we were there.

Lunch was simple but plentiful, and the hosts gladly allowed us into the kangaroo enclosure to feed, mingle and get photos with the kangaroos. On the way home, they offered the opportunity to stop at a lookout over Cairns, which gave us some wonderful photo opportunities. We were flying home not long after horseriding, and they offered to pick up our bags, store them in the car, and drop us off at the airport on the way.

All in all, this sesms like a family business and a very well run one at that. Highly recommended!!!

Thomas V, General Manager at Billabong Horseback Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Hi Edith,

Firstly I would like to thank you for submitting such a lovely review, and to say that I am delighted that you had a great day with us. We do our very best to ensure that everyone has a good time and takes home as many fond memories as possible :-)

I just wanted to touch on the helmet topic you raised, and advise clients that our helmets are in-fact replaced every 12 months. As you can imagine our helmets do get quite a lot of use by customers, and our humid climate does make it harder for helmets to completely dry out. However in combat of this, it is a procedure that following rides that our staff ensure helmets are sprayed with a disinfectant and odour neutraliser spray (Such as Glen 20). Whilst not always 100% effective, our aim of this is to reduce the smells of sweat as much as possible as well as reduce the risk to any bugs living in the helmets and therefore making the requirement of wearing a helmet much more pleasant than over a helmet not maintained at all.

We hope to see you again soon!

Regards,

Thomas Verfurth
Managing Director

There are newer reviews for Billabong Horseback Adventures

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We decided to do this on our last day in Cairns and so glad we didn't miss out on what is an incredible and unique experience. My partner is an advanced rider but this was my first time on a horse, it was just the two of us in the group which was great and our guide Kaity looked after us both very well, me more so as I had no clue how to ride! The location itself is beautiful and the ride was kept interesting by a variety of different terrain, it was a great day to go riding and as the conditions favoured us I was able to attempt to trot on a few occasions and even got a chance to canter. I was told by Kaity and my partner that I did very well but I give all the credit to my horse Rocky who was perfect.
Would definately recommend this to anyone no matter what their riding experience. Tom also looked after us very well and can see he really cares for the welfare of the animals and people.
Thanks again to Tom and Kaity for a brilliant day.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We had a fabulous experience right from the start. We wanted to take our two children aged 9 and 12 on a trail ride and were offered a 3 hour ride however I was concerned that this would be too long for our 9 year old who had never ridden before. Tom kindly accommodated us with a two hour ride which I did not expect as I can understand this would not always be possible. We were all given great horses who were suited to our abilities and our guide on the day, Tim, was superb, describing the environment that we were passing through and explaining the history of the area. By the end our youngest child was able to have a trot and the way in which he was treated meant the whole experience was positive for him. Tim had the most lovely way with him, neither pushing him beyond his ability or babying him. He was able to go at whatever pace he was comfortable with. We were all able to trot from time to time. The scenery was just lovely. Thank you for a fantastic experience.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Being a Cairns local that loves the odd horse ride, I can thoroughly recommend Billabong Adventures. Small groups are the best! The terrain is varied and interesting. The property itself is gorgeously laid out. The staff are just absolutely top people that demonstrate the joy of life from turning your what you love doing into your vocation. My daughter and I will be back to take further rides and partake in the horse riding lessons also available at another location.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Wonderful friendly down to earth people, who showed us great hospitality and a fantastic time. We saw some of the most beautiful scenery that Cairns has to offer and what a better way to see it than atop a beautiful well behaved horse. Thank you you for a wonderful experience.