“Brilliant up close encounters!”

Johnstone River Crocodile & Animal Park
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We visited here almost by accident when we came across the sign whilst touring the Art Deco town of Innisfail. This is a small animal park with lots of crocs, kangaroos, etc. The thing that we loved about this place is that it was really up close and personal. The keepers were very friendly and knowledgeable. There was only a small number of people in the park and that made it a much more pleasurable experience than some of the more crowded zoos. We were taken on a guided tour where the keeper fed the crocs by dangling chickens over the fence. It was quite spectacular to see these massive creatures rear up to snap the chicken up. Only a chain link fence separates you from them! We also had the opportunity to get in the pen with the dingos which was wonderful. We fed the kangaroos, ostriches, etc and got fairly close to the Cassowary. All in all a really great experience. Definitely recommend.

Reviewed January 3, 2012

I have ALWAYS enjoyed the Johnstone River Crocodile Park because they people there are always very friendly and very knowledgable. The park is a really nice place to walk around and feed the kangaroos, look at some of the local birds and get a good look at a lot of really large crocodiles. I have been several times and went again today to take my friend who is here from Texas.

Reviewed November 24, 2011

Sadly we visited in the rain, but they had umbrellas ready for us to use. My husband and I enjoyed the park very much. The staff was very friendly and at the end my husband held a baby croc. Not me Im chicken

Reviewed November 21, 2011

We called in here on a recent visit to Queensland - the receptionist was genuinely open and friendly and fortunately we had arrived in time for a tour. We were delighted with the opportunity to interact with some of the creatures and actually handle them. This was arranged in a safe but relaxed way, with lots of interesting information and plenty of time for a photo opportunity. The young man who conducted the tour was frankly excellent - he was knowledgeable, friendly, amusing, a great communicator & what is more, he knew his animals and was a genuine stockman. He should give a TV presentation on respect for crocodiles to all tourists visiting Northern Queensland...! Yes it is great to see creatures in the wild, but the large crocs in this park had been removed from the local area due to being a serious hazard and are now educating people on the habits and behaviors of their wild relatives. Greater understanding of these dangerous reptiles contributes to tolerance of their presence so close to human habitations & hopefully reduces crocodile attacks. Our guide also showed us the other animals in the park & we could have stayed all day talking to him about his various charges - it was a privilege to have access to all this knowledge. Keep up the good work Johnstone River - all the animals were great & we really enjoyed our trip - if we return to Queensland we will certainly call & see you again.

Reviewed October 29, 2011

Read the reviews on Trip Advisor and they were all pretty positive so we decided to go take a look. Arrived 30 minutes late for the tour and the lady at the front desk gave us some food for the roos and told us to go on thru and catch up with the tour. Caught up with the tour. The guy was very knowledgeable and had a laugh. I know he knew what he was talking about because he had to answer 300 questions from one brainiac. I always find that there is one in every crowd.

We saw the crocs, dingos & other animal then the tour finished and we could wander around the park. Found the kangaroos and spent 45 minutes with them feeding em. Wandered around the rest of the park saw the birds on display. Went back to the front and got to hold a 18 inch croc (I said CROC) and take as many pics as we liked. Then they got a 5ft python out and once again take as many pics as you like NO EXTRA CHARGE. There was a bit of a commotion with some of the animals and I had the python for nearly an hour. Pretty awesome.

This place really is excellent value and I would recommend to all and sundry