“Great Car race and great accomodation”

Peppers Blue On Blue Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Magnetic Island
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Myself my wife and seven other friends traveled to Townsville for the V8's and stayed at Peppers. On arrival we were warmly greeted and proccessed very quickly. the two rooms we had booked were magnificent overlooking the pool area down the back. Many thanks to Ash the barman and the rest of the staff for the great service and laughs we had over the seven days we were there. i had read some of the negitive blogs about the place and was a bit worried about what we would find but anyone who thinks this place is awfull needs to get a life, just ease up and enjoy. Always remember, people treat you as you treat them and the guys and girls at peppers are fantastic

Room Tip: Ask for a pool veiw
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank HappyGeorge053
GeneralManagerPBOB, General Manager at Peppers Blue On Blue Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2011

Well done Happy George!!

I had to print off your pics to show the team as they would all remember you well. Please ensure to let me know if the clan are coming back for next year’s V8 Supercars and I will ensure you are in the same area of the resort.

Since the V8s we have had new umbrellas added to the deck and swimming pools and now are awaiting the sign off for some extra furniture, so next year will be bigger and better. Please feel free to contact me directly if there was something you felt missing that would make your stay even better next time around and we will endeavor to see it happen.

Thanks again,

There are newer reviews for Peppers Blue On Blue Resort

Reviewed July 17, 2011

I had been staying in Townsville for a week on business and flew my wife up for weekend a birthday treat for her. We had never stayed at a Peppers Resort but believed it was a high quality resort. On arrival we were given the key for room 1211. This the same room cthink from July 5 was given. It had list of things wrong a mile long. Dirty carpets, stain chairs, dirty cooking surfaces, ripped bedding to name just a few. I had paid for a superior room at $250 a night and what we got was 3 star. We went back to reception and told them we were not happy. They said 'they will see what we can do, come back later'. When we went back later we were told we had now be given a "premium room", this room was the same as the last just with a better view. However the furnishing were not dirty and stained as the previous one.
After the room debacle was sorted we decided we would go to the restaurant for lunch only to be told it was shutting and being set up for a wedding that night. We also told it would not be open that night (sat). This was very disappointing as we did not have a car or any way of getting around. At this stage we ready to ask for our money back and return to Townsville.
We went to dinner Sunday night and I woke up later that night with food poisoning.
I am a senior manager for a large organization and travel extensively around Australia generally staying at Holiday Inns or Accor hotels. I have never had this type of experience before.

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank Gvbeh

I apologies for the poor standard you first experienced as this is not our intention for any of our guests although reading on I see that once moved the new room was to your standard and i hope that we met your expectations on cleanliness and quality. We have since had all the carpets and furnishings cleaned and a monthly process implemented to ensure they do not return to the way you found them. Due to the high volume of guests experienced over this season it was unfortunately a little difficult to coordinate until recently.

Our restaurant is of very high quality and demand, hence the reason it is heavily booked every weekend. I would love to speak with you more in relation to your upset stomach issue as we have not had any other complaints around this time. It would be good to narrow the cause of this unfortunate illness you experienced.

Please feel free to contact me on the resort number to discuss this further.

Reviewed July 7, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights, with breakfast in the mornings in a standard room.
The room and bathroom was very spacious, modern and had everything we needed.
Once you step off the ferry, Peppers, is only a few metres walking distance away. As is the bus stops to get around the island. There's also an IGA supermarket next door. Breakfast was fantastic, with a choice of fruits, juice, hot cooked meals and sweets. The restaurant downstairs was really good and convenient. Staff were friendly and helpful. I highly recommend Peppers. The one thing we found was that we didnt use the pool, as it wasnt heated and was too cold.

1  Thank hskhsk

Good to see you got out and about during your stay.

Thank you for your kind review and we would love to welcome you back again sometime soon, You commented on our tropical breakfast. this is now a complimentary inclusion to all guests staying with us. The pool is a little cool in winter however very refreshing in the summer months, I am in the process of sourcing quotes to have the smaller infinity pool at the front of the resort heated so thank you again for your comment as this adds to my pending debate.

Please feel free to contact us directly should you choose to visit us again and we will be sure to look after you again.

Reviewed July 4, 2011

We have just returned from a 5 night stay at Peppers after gettting an exceptional good nightly rate via a credit card affiliate program and for the price we paid we were happy with the stay but this is certainly no 5 star resort.

The good:
Close to ferry and bus stops so very easy to get around.
Room size (deluxe room) was excellent but poorly laid out, bathroom large with exceptionally nice deep bath.
Beautifully large doors opening onto the balconey which over looked the marina.
Cooking facilicities in the room were adequate if needed but did need a good clean.
Attentive reception staff - arrange to have 4-5 light globes replaced and movie channel fixed same day we alerted them.
Lovely position of resturant overlooking the ferry terminal and marina, food in the restaurant was very good.
Lovely balconey and chairs for enjoying the view and the weather.
Boardwalk lovely short cut to Nelly Bay shops.

The disappointing:
Soft furnishings - all worse for wear with red wine stains on couch (no cleaning had been attempted on this, just left where it fell) and blue chair really grubbing on arms and head area.
Bed was double size I think and not very comfortable made up with only 3 pillows (and no spare). Only one blanket provided and bed made up with sheets only.
The blue strip of material across the end looked like it had been dried in a dryer and the blue wool side had shrunk leaving it looking worse for wear. Towels not very thick or soft, standard I've come to expect in 3 star asian hotel rooms not a 5 star Mantra property.

A full size fridge was placed btwn the table and couch and armchair which meant you couldn't access most of one side of the table. A small bar fridge was in the cupboard section but obviously added afterward as it was smaller than the opening. The large fridge was a bit dented and scratched but unfortunately the inside needed some attention - a good clean and freezer seal had mould on it.

Carpets: There were 2 or 3 large foot (boot) prints, one particularly black one, on the carpet in the doorway, which didn't look like there had been any attempt to clean them.

Crockery etc: The cutlery was grubby from not being washed properly and there was a mismatch of glasses, cups etc with on 3 cups and bowls but 4 of other things.

Wicker furniture table on the balcony was splitting all round the top.

On arrival there were 4-5 lights not working but these were fixed once reception notified.

TV reception was poor, unable to watch ABC and we were surprised there was no digital stations. There was surround sound equipment but it wasn't working and didn't seemed to be hooked up. Movie channel not working on first day but was fixed the next.

Restaurant: We (like other reviewers) went down to the restaurant to have a cocktail before dinner at 6pm only to be told the earliest booking was 7:30pm. We had a drink, returned to our room and came back at 7:30 to find the restaurant less than half full. We did wonder if it was a staffing issue rather than being full and they were trying to spread the load on the chef.
Breakfast was certainly not the standard we've experienced in other 5* hotels.
The other thing I did notice was the lack of shade around an amazing pool.

We did discuss our disappointment with standard of the room furnishings and cleanliness with a very nice member of reception who indicated there were new managers and staff trying to improve things. Unless the hotel wants to continue with reviews like this they really need to inject some money into refurnishing and cleaning the rooms properly.
Also I'm not sure if some rooms are better than others given the mixed reviews on here.

On a final note I did really enjoy the time on Maggie and again given we had not paid the full room price I could live with the state of the room but I would have been bitterly disappointed if I had paid double what we did and got that room!!
I would love to hear that the place has been cleaned up and re furnished and I'd stay again but not in it's current state unfortunately.

Room Tip: Speak to the staff at the hotel about rooms first.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wendy K

Thank you for your review, and also the photos,

We are currently in the process of cleaning and replacing soft furnishing in the resort. This room however does have a rather large fridge in an awkward location. The owner of this room insists it is more convenient for guests staying for longer periods of time and do not wish to outlay the cost of an apartment containing a full kitchen.

Our beautiful boardwalk restaurant is a 140seat restaurant usually divided by permanent bamboo fixtures to separate out the breakfast areas and the dining room. however these rooms have the capability of all opening up as one large dining room for special events and weddings, Unfortunately when these screens do not return after a large function it gives the impression of a half empty restaurant.

Thank you for bringing to our attention your disappointment with breakfast, we provide this complimentary now to all guests booking direct or through our proffered agents and need to ensure we get it right for everyone. it is now a fully cooked tropical breakfast with all the hot favorites also including toast, cereals, tea, coffee, juices fresh fruits etc.... if you have some suggestions on how we can improve I would love to hear them.

I do apologise again that our room did not meet your standard and if you do decide to return please let me know and I would be more than happy to go through some alternate room types.

Also I failed to mention since your visit we have had shade sails and large umbrellas installed around the pool areas for shade.

Kind regards

Reviewed July 4, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at Peppers Blue in June 2011! We arrived to a warm reception, extremely helpful staff and a fabulous room! It was spacious, very clean and had amazing views of the pool & sea. We enjoyed cocktails in the bar and had lovely dinner in the restaurant (which had good options for vegetarians). We can also recommend the 'big boy' chips with green tomato relish - delicious! I wish we could have stayed longer and will definitely return!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

We look forward to your return,

The Big boy fries are one of my families favorites also. Thank you for your kind review and should you wish to return please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed July 3, 2011

Myself and my partner stayed here on the last night of our 3 day Magnetic Island stay. Staying in a truly amazing apartment the 2 nights previous (wasn't too much more expensive) may have clouded my judgement a little, but I will be as honest as i can.

We arrived at the hotel around 11am, some 3 hours before check in. We asked if we could place our bags into their baggage storage until our check in time and they happily agreed. Sadly, the baggage store here is an unlocked room just outside the reception area. We were freely able to access our bags without any staff members questioning why we were in the room. This is of some concern regarding the security of baggage.

The room itself felt rather small, but I think this is due to some poor furniture placement. TV reception is poor and we had a truly amazing view of the IGA and Ferry Terminal carpark. I have to wonder if they shouldn't have told us that we paid top dollar for a carpark view.
The swimming pool really is beautiful, however it is not heated.

We decided to enjoy a nice night out by booking into the in house Restaurant. Upon requesting a table, we were told they were fully booked out at 7:30, so we made an earlier booking at 6:30.
Due to unforseen circumstances we were held up, so i contacted the restaurant and asked if we may be able to arrive later, to which i was told that 7pm was the latest time we could be seated. Understandable, as they told me they were fully booked at 7:30.
This, however, was not the case.
We arrived at 7 and were in the restaurant until at least 9, during which the restaurant was lucky to be half full at any given time. I find this a bitterly disappointing outcome as the restaurant manager was also rather rude to us when we asked to change our booking.
The food we ordered was particularly nice, however it was marred by poor service and rude staff. The male waiter who took our order and also delivered our food was the exception to this. He was very polite, helpful and friendly.

In my opinion, there are many hotels on Magnetic Island that can offer better service, better rooms and better facilities than Peppers. For the most part, it was a nice stay, but due to some poor staff and a somewhat inflated view of itself as a 5 star hotel, it felt like a bit of a letdown. The reception staff were attentive, but a little disorganized, however much of the work needs to be put into making the restaurant staff more people friendly. Dealing with customers is their job and they need to enjoy it. It really felt like we were inconveniencing them asking for drinks etc.

3  Thank JulznGrum
Reviewed June 30, 2011

Checked in here for a nice overnight stay as a bit of a treat to myself at the end of a longer holiday in Townsville. Was bitterly disappointed. I have stayed at other Peppers resorts across Australia, and at other 5 star hotels in Australia and throughout the world, but never have I seen anything as atrocious as this place was.
My bad experience started with reception. Checked in with 4 large bags and a toddler in arms. Whilst I was obviously struggling, no one offered to assist me to my room, and directions were vague and unhelpful, "just head down that way and up the stairs and you will find it"
When I eventually managed to get to the room itself, it smelled like vomit and as though other bodily functions had been left to sit in the toilet for days. The cleanliness level itself on the surface was satisfactory, but a spray of air freshener would have done wonders. Other details such as marks on walls, paint peeling on the ceiling of the bathroom, stains on the sofa, and dirty windows leading onto the balcony were disappointing when one is paying a premium to stay in a 'luxury' resort.
My 'view' was of the IGA/ferry terminal carpark. Meh.
The room initially appeared to be tiny, but on awakening I realised that it was just from bad positioning of furniture, ie desk placed up against balcony door, leaving a 30cm gap to exit the balcony.
TV reception was pitiful, could receive a blurry channel ten and nine, and a good sbs. I think there was a sports channel and fox 8 but it was too blurry to tell. Across the road at the ferry terminal they had a display tv set up with crystal clear digital reception, so poor reception should not be an excuse.
There is still no in room information available and looking at other reviews, this seems to be a long term problem. This would have been useful to help with exploring the island, the baby and I went for a walk in both directions, but anything interesting seems to be 5+ km away.
There is no wifi available, perhaps in an attempt to stop people posting poor reviews on sites such as this.
The swimming pools are nice to look at, but not heated in winter, and there is no spa or jacuzzi alternative for a bit of warmth.
The buffet breakfast was not of the standard of other Peppers breakfasts I have had in the past, the yoghurt was warm, the hot food was cold, only two choices of cereals, the bread was stale. The fruit platter was 3/4 empty when I arrived, and remained so until I left some half hour later, as no one was topping it up.
To top it all off I ended up with food poisoning or gastro either from the disgusting breakfast, or from catching the illness that the person who used the room before me obviously had from the lingering smells.
SO thank you Peppers. Never ever again. I have stayed in cheap roadside motels that were better than this, and without the intense disappointment.
I have never written a review like this before, but hopefully this will serve as a warning to others, NOT to stay here.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank sass1234
GeneralManagerPBOB, General Manager at Peppers Blue On Blue Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2011

I was very disappointed to read your review as I have just recently returned from a short break and going through our guest comment cards, they painted a different picture. so I do deeply apologies for troubles you encountered at our property.

Our in room compendiums have been completed and in the process of being returned to all rooms, thank you for letting us know your room had been missed. Also I believe there has been a nasty stomach bug going around which I also was unfortunate to fall victim before leaving on my leave so I feel your pain and hope you are feeling better. Our breakfast buffet offered is normally of a high Peppers standard and I will be looking into this further with the Chef and Restaurant manager.

I deeply apologies for your experience and would love to speak with you in person to discuss this further to retain what steps were taken to rectify this issue.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Magnetic Island
#3 of 5 in Magnetic Island
Arcadia Beach Guest House
Arcadia Beach Guest House
#2 of 7 in Magnetic Island

Been to Peppers Blue On Blue Resort? Share your experiences!