other travelers have booked this property
Kitchen Dining
Lounge
Front Room
Back Room
Shower
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Terrible - based on 1 review

Reviews from our community

qtiiwill2...
Queenstown, New Zealand
“Great if you are deaf and like remoteness”
Reviewed June 22, 2015 for a stay in June 2015
people found this review helpful

Tito and Lucia are charming but need to learn the basics of running this type of accommodation. We feIt ripped off so I need to give an honest review in fairness to others thinking of renting these accommodations.
If you really want a remote and noisy area, (or are deaf) this place is for you.
The location of the beach hut was not described clearly despite my sister trying to contact Paco to get directions. It is 8 km past the golf club. The first 3 km are Tarmac, the last 5 km are ungraded track. The road is not for the elderly or faint hearted. Or if you have a rental car or a car low to the ground. My sister has a bad shoulder and this was knocked several times by the seatbelt, despite a slow careful driving.
We only found the house from the beach side as we recognised the house from the photo online and I had it on my iPad. All the roads to the correct entry of the house are marked no entry.

Paco's parents, Tito and Lucia were charming and greeted us and directed us to the very tight overgrown back entrance. We have several scratches from sticking out dead tree and bush branches on our car as it was so bad. Imagine being in a rental car?

Tito and Lucia share the only bathroom and kitchen which is part of your living area. Not exactly what we expected. The bathroom was very filthy. I found and used half a bottle of bleach to clean the black bath mat and tiles. I purchased some disinfectant which I used liberally to ensure we stayed healthy. We then showered standing in a plastic bowl to be sure our feet were kept clean. There was Good hot water so no cold showers as long as you worked out how to turn it on.

There is only a partial top step leading to the bathroom which worried me as my husband had a moon boot on (broken ankle) and it was tricky at night in the dark. We were supplied a torch as it is sort of an outside bathroom too.

The fridge freezer is small and half full as is shared with the owners and the only cooking is gas burners. No toaster, microwave, grill, oven or even a simple gas barbecue. You would get at least the latter at a camp ground.

There is only one source of solar electricity which is limited. Lucklily we were able to run my brother in law's CPAP machine with an extension lead.

The dog next door barks on and off from about 6 am and on one night until midnight. Complaining to Tito did not help (he does not hear it).

It was not a peaceful stay because of loud barking dogs , people camping in front on the beach on the weekends and playing their music, and Tito's own cockerel that wakes at about 4 am each morning and doesn't stop for ages. Tito never hears any noises despite his guests and even his neighbours complaining. A full nights sleep was definitely not an option.

Since staying there I have seen other site reviews and they are similar to mine. So my comments will probably fall on deaf ears.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Seeing the native birds
Liked least: Sharing all facilities all the time
Traveling group: Extended Family
Your age range 65+
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
Aug 6, 2015
Thanks for your review of the beach hut ( I think that describes it perfectly- it's not a hotel or resort) we have located in one of the most remote and isolated areas on Magnetic Island. The eco-friendly Hut solely relies on solar and gas - so obviously facilities are not of a 5 star standard. The property, as listed is a beach hut - and as such is surrounded by kangaroos, koalas- and of coarse the chickens. The hut is located 20 metres from the sea. Views are amazing - but. as noted by the reviewer- this does lead to dirty floors occasionally ( mostly sand from feet) I agree with the reviewer- if you are not looking from something remote or isolated and eco-friendly ( a "back to nature" holiday) perhaps give our beach hut a miss. Most of our guests are there to appreciate nature, isolation and the beauty of the sea (right in front of you) This is the sort of place you appreciate when you need a total break from city life. And for that - you don't want signage leading other tourists to your retreat. If you want your own private Idaho- this is the place for you.
At your disposal :) Paco
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing