“Amazing staff”

Bungalow Bay Koala Village
Siglufjordur, Iceland
“Amazing staff”
Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed there only for one night because we didn't have more time. But the staff was amazing, they helped us organize our trip down to Sydney, I don't know how many calls they made for us! The area was really good and a good swimming pool. I would definately recommend this hostel!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Finnish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here on our trip to Maggie! We thought it would be nice to stay in a shack in the woods, however we were wrong! When we arrived we couldn't check in til afternoon for rooms to be clean so had to wait which was fine as we were early, however when we finally got our room keys to a double private room, we found a mattress on the floor and that bed hadn't even been changed. So we went to reception and told them and they gave us another set of keys, to which we went to another room to find this had not been cleaned either! So we went back, the woman was very apologetic and came with us to find a room that had been cleaned! She gave us some drinks on the house for the trouble. We had to pay extra for wifi just for an hour!! We then went went to sleep, well tried to! It was boiling hot even with the air con and fan! I didn't dare stick my leg out incase I got bitten by the ants that were all over the floor!! 6am arrived after about 2 hours sleep and we got up and checked out ASAP!!! The pool was ok, not clean enough to swim in though!! Was ok for one night but for the price id have a look at hotels!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Myself and a friend booked in for three nights in a twin basic cabin. When we got there we were really impressed with the place, it feels really tropical right in the thick of the wildlife.

The actual set up of the place is great but I feel the customer service is poor.

Firstly wifi is not included, which is fine but its very expensive. Most places we stayed charged around $12 for three days, here was $30 for ten hours. The wifi is also very slow, and can only be used in the bar area. This is not ideal for Facetime/skyping as the bar plays load music making it impossible to hear (even using headphones.)

Secondly they have a strict no bringing your own alcohol onto the premises, even in your rooms or in the kitchen/dining area.
One night we went to the bar to buy a glass of wine to have with our dinner, we were told we were not allowed to drink the wine anywhere but the bar because there would be no one to monitor us as to whether we were drinking our own alcohol or not in the dining area. We then asked if we could eat our dinner in the bar, that was also a no.

I felt this rule was very odd and was not advertised when booking the room and actually really ruined any positive customer relationship.

You also have to pay a deposit to the bar if you want plates and cutlery.

Overall it came across that they were just trying to get every penny off you, when the hostel was already fairly pricey.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a 3 share cabin which was clean and comfortable. Back to nature within the rainforest surroundings and wonderful wildlife. There's an absolutely amazing 'koala cuddle express' 2 hour tour where you can hold not only a koala (which is awesome) but I also held a crocodile, bird, snake, echnida, bearded dragon and much more. I cannot recommend this enough...not only were the animals amazing so was the guide, Tony...such a great bloke who was both hilarious and knowledgeable. Definitely amongst my favourite places in Australia and I even went to Australia zoo. The YHA itself was fab too...friendly staff, especially Declan and a really cool, chilled out atmosphere. It's also just a short walk to the lovely beach, restaurants, bars and the brilliant Nan's Tea Rooms.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Austraveller2908
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Really nice place to stay in magnetic island specially if you are looking for some peace. Its close to the beach and has a sweet swimming pool. The rooms are good and cute. The staff is friendly and the environment is really nice too. It's a good spot to relax and there's a bus stop in front of it.. So you can go around the island.

• Stayed October 2013
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed in a lovely little 3-share cabin and really enjoyed the "summercamp" vibe of it. The hostel had a great atmosphere with the koala sanctuary on site, the bar/restaurant and the pool area. The only thing that keeps me from rating the hostel as "excellent" is the location. The hostel is located quite far away from Nelly Bay (where the ferry departs) and they offer no shuttle whatsoever. Plus the cleanliness in the kitchen and bathroom facilities could be improved!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights and got an amazing deal on the room. This made me expect a little less but the place was generally very good. My only issues was the cleanliness of the bathroom. I was in an en suite dorm of 8 people and the bathroom never seemed to be clean.

Other than that, the site was very pretty, the pool area fantastic, the kitchen large and clean with nice outside seating and the bar area cool. I was a chilled hostel with the bar stopping serving at 10pm, so not noisy when trying to sleep.

The on site koala village felt a lot like a zoo and was very overpriced but it was great to see the animals and get to handle so many of them.

I would stay again!

Room Tip: En suite rooms are best otherwise you have to go outside to go to the bathroom