This is the most expensive and overrated hostels I have stayed at.
No free breakfast = $15 for hot brekky at the bar
Internet = $6 an hour
Drinks = $8 can of bacardi breezer and $7 for a Corona
The communal kitchen is poverty.
- No cups
- Hot plates work but the dials have no gauge so you never know how long your pasta is going to take to boil
- The roof is plastic tarp and leaks when it rains
- No free food shelf
- No shelves in general for dry food (well, there is a ledge, but that leaks when raining)
The girls bathrooms are big but dirty and unkept.
- some showers had no showerhead and/or taps
- toilets are pretty rank smelling too
- Spend the extra $2 and get "Sanctuary dorm rooms"
- You get a free towel, small shampoo and conidtioner, and champagne some nights.
SCUBA diving: Awesome!
- Open Water Course taken by "Reef Safari"
- Teacher Barbara Trattner is the best by far
Also - brining any alcohol onto the premisis is forbidden.
The only alcohol you can consume must be purchased from the bar.
So buy your drink and drink it in your rooms.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Base Magnetic Island is a must do on any East Coast trip - in fact it's a destination holiday in its own right, especially as the only backpackers in Australia with 100% beach frontage. Boasting on average, more than 320 days of sunshine per year, Magnetic Island is the ultimate tropical adventure for anyone looking for something special Spend your days sipping a cocktail in the sun by the pool, spotting koalas from North Australia's largest wild Koala population or learning to dive at our on site SCUBA facility. From lazy days on the beach directly in front of the property to heaving parties of over 4,000 people for our Full Moon Down Under events - Base Backpackers has something for everyone. From ocean front en-suite private cabins - to shaded camping grounds and everything in-between, we've got an on site travel shop, cafe, restaurant and party bar and a team of staff that are willing to help in any way we can. Come stay and play in one of Australia's premier backpackers, on beautiful Magnetic Island. Getting here: Catch the SealinkQLD ferry transfer from Townsville to Nelly Bay, then it is a short ride on the Public Bus heading towards 'Picnic Bay' the bus stop is out the front of our property ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, Ctrip TA, Priceline, HostelWorld, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Base Backpackers Magnetic Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Base Backpackers Hotel Magnetic Island