“BASE-ically [--]”

Base Backpackers Magnetic Island
Brisbane
“BASE-ically [--]”
Reviewed January 26, 2010

This is the most expensive and overrated hostels I have stayed at.

No free breakfast = $15 for hot brekky at the bar
Internet = $6 an hour
Drinks = $8 can of bacardi breezer and $7 for a Corona

The communal kitchen is poverty.
- No cups
- Hot plates work but the dials have no gauge so you never know how long your pasta is going to take to boil
- The roof is plastic tarp and leaks when it rains
- No free food shelf
- No shelves in general for dry food (well, there is a ledge, but that leaks when raining)

The girls bathrooms are big but dirty and unkept.
- some showers had no showerhead and/or taps
- toilets are pretty rank smelling too

Room Recommendations:
- Spend the extra $2 and get "Sanctuary dorm rooms"
- You get a free towel, small shampoo and conidtioner, and champagne some nights.

SCUBA diving: Awesome!
- Open Water Course taken by "Reef Safari"
- Teacher Barbara Trattner is the best by far

Also - brining any alcohol onto the premisis is forbidden.
The only alcohol you can consume must be purchased from the bar.
So buy your drink and drink it in your rooms.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SuperNomes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Ireland
Reviewed January 18, 2010

Booked Steal deal with double room and room was the worst I'd ever seen in any hostel so we changed to different double overlooking sea&rocks and the difference was unreal. Heard the dorms were really bad too so would only stay here if you get the double room we got. Bar do BBQ with nice food but wouldn't go near the kitchen, cookers don't work and cockroaches everywhere, really disgusting kitchen compared to any other hostel we stayed in on East coast. Location and views from bar are amazing, wouldn't stay too long though as not much to do on the island. Staff were not very friendly but didn't bother us.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Magnetic Island hotels

Lincoln
Reviewed October 10, 2009

I literally can't begin to list the things wrong with Base....but as a few:

- staff rude and unfriendly, they definately think they are too cool to be there. Very unhelpful at all times

- kitchen...I cannot begin to describe the state of the kitchen....it's impossible to avoid ants and I could not bear to put anything down on the work surface

- dorms - advertised with lockers....ours had nothing like lockers

- bathrooms - dirty and filled with hair....lots of it!
\
Don't go...especially if you've been to Scotty's before as you'll have a big dissapointment...wish we'd stayed at Scotty's a lot longer and avoided Base!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank kates12345
Ville d'Avray, near Paris
Reviewed August 30, 2009

The hostel is very nice because it's on the beach, so you cane have breakfast while watching the sunrise, very cool! If you are with friends and want to party and meet people, this is the good place to stay: every night there's a theme, games and music at the bar. But if you want to rest after a long day's walk, you'll have to wait for the music to stop (around midnight, 1 am), as the rooms are very close to the bar and the music quite loud.
Good point also: the hostel proposes diving and snorkelling activities.
Cleanliness is average, bathrooms separated...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Dublin
Reviewed June 1, 2009

Do NOT stay at this hostel!!
On arrival at the hostel the girl behind the counter told me that because i was booked to do a dive course, i had to stay in a tent for the 5 days i was due to stay there. When I was handed a piece of scrap paper with the tent number, i asked where the tent was and was told to go behind the kitchen.
i spent 20 minutes wandering the grounds trying to find where the tent was and eventually went back to ask if somebody could show me where it was located. When i got back the girl behind the desk said she wasnt sure - i asked if they had a map of where the rooms were and she replied by saying that would be a good idea and they make one!
I then asked if I could just stay in a room and pay for it. I was told at this stage there were no rooms available as the full moon party was the next night. (which I was not told was going on when I booked)

Eventually i was escorted by one of the bar staff to find the room - he did not know where it was either and we eventually found it after another 10-20 minutes of searching. It was located down a dark laneway with no lights. There were 3 tents all of which were being used for storage and none of which had electricity. I was told at this stage i could keep the torch if i gave it back the next day. I said that i wasnt staying in a tent which had no electricity and which was filled with rubbish from the hostel.

We went back to reception and the girl behind the desk had closed up- i had to wait for her to come back and open up the area. She seemed put out by the fact that I wouldnt rough it in the tent. She then said I could stay in one of the rooms (which was unusual as she told me earlier there none available). So about an hour after arriving i got to my room (at about 11pm). The room was cramped and as it was close to the bar so there were people outside our room talking and shouting until about 3-4am.

I woke up next morning to go to dive centre to start my course - the dive centre said they had no record of the booking. I said that Peter Pans (who i originally booked through) and i myself had both re-confirmed the course several days before i arrived. I had a voucher as well to prove i had fully paid for the course. The girl at the dive centre shop explained that reception of Base takes the bookings and that they manually pass over the bookings on paper to the dive centre. The dive centre while being on the grounds of Base are the same company. She said in this instance whoever was on reception did not pass the booking.

I went back to reception and explained the situation to the receptionist. Same girl as night before. I was told that there was "no drama" and that there was a new girl who must have taken the booking and did not pass it over. I explained that it was re-confirmed twice to which i got a shrug of the shoulders. I rang Peter Pans to ask them to sort it out - they rang the manager of Base - she blamed the dive shop for not taking the booking. It was clear to me it was NOT the fault of the dive shop but the laziness of the staff at base (including the manager) for not recording and passing the booking over. If a new member of staff is taking bookings they should be reviewed by the manager to ensure no mistakes are made.
They thought that there was no issue at all however as the full moon party was on that night and that I should feel privileged and lucky to arrive at the same time it was going on, even though traditionally dive courses do not run during the full moon parties for safety reasons (too many people used to show up drunk when diving). I explained that I came to do a dive course and not to get hammered at a full moon party. Eventually after 7 hours of going back and forth with Peter Pans and Base I decided to leave the island, get my money back and book a dive course with another company in Cairns. I had not intended to go that far up the east coast but I am really glad that I did - so ironically I probably had a better trip because of Base's incompetence and messing up.

I was also charged for the one night's accommodation (which i do not believe i should have had to pay after the mess up the night before).
Also the toilets and showers were pretty dirty and alot were missing cubicle doors, the rooms were cramped, it is noisy until about 3-4am and the kitchen was filthy and packed with people.

I had friends staying at the same time and they also had problems with the hostel - problems with keys, filthy kitchen, lack of space in rooms, no booking recorded etc.

All in all an absolute disaster - i stayed in hostels all over the east coast of australia and this was by far the worst of the worst

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
14 Thank kmenton
Norfolk
Reviewed May 9, 2009

I stayed in December and loved it. Now, I wouldn't say the rooms and bathrooms were great (quite hot and pretty small), however for location and socialising this was great. It's right on the beach, has a lovely decked bar area which overlooks the sea and has music on at night. I think its a fun place to stay if you want to meet other backpackers, because there really is nothing around it in walking distance so mostly everyone has to stay there at night to drink etc., we also found that quite a lot of locals come there in the evening too. They also hire out kayaks, if you fancy doing that, and there is also a bus stop right outside so you can go and visit other places on the island. The food was great and really cheap so I didn't use the kitchen facilities.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank Travel_Bug_Norfolk
Australia
Reviewed May 4, 2009

I loved my stay at Base. It was an amazing location with decks and a pool overlooking the water i felt like I was at a hotel.

Though others had an issue with the cleanliness I had no issues with that and always found my room and the bathrooms clean!
I was also fed plently with free meal vouchers for breakfast and always a BBQ or some other meal on.

We went for the full moon party which was a bit disappointing but it was the one following new years which is apparently poor as everyone is there for new years.

I would definatley recommend this hostel!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends