“Fun place”

Base Backpackers Magnetic Island
Sydney Olympic Park, Australia
“Fun place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

I stayed here a couple years ago and loved it this time. I stayed in a 4 bed coed and was great for the price.It had a small deck and was pretty quiet all things considered. It had a bar for the full moon party, but the music can get a bit much at times but I love this place.

Room Tip: Do the paid course
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

I did not plan to travel to Magnetic Island but won the trip from Ultimate Party in Cairns, I arrived early in the morning and was unable to check into my room early as the check in was not until 1300, I was greeted by a friendly staff member who arranged to get me into my room early as I was suffering from a ear ache. The hostel facilities were explained in great detail and the surrounding grounds were stunning, beachfront, gardens, and coconut trees, a real tropical
Island. After a few hours my ear ache got worse, I returned to reception where the staff member was still working, she offered to take me to the doctor so I could get the ear looked at, she drove me there and back for a 15 minute car ride, she explained about the Island the whole way, I have never really left a review on trip advisor, but really wanted to because they went out of there way to help me when I was sick, I was really surprised when I went to check out to find out the staff member was the manager, I loved staying a this hostel even though I was sick I was looked after really well which is so nice when you are far away from home, I recommend you stay on Magnetic Island, its a nice place.

Room Tip: A great choice as a tropical Island stay on Magnetic Island
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Cairns, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

When we arrived at the hostel, the first thing we noticed was how rude and grumpy the receptionist was.. As we walked to are room after paying a huge deposit for our key we were positively surprised at how beautiful the location was and how quirky the hostel dorm huts were. For backpacker accomadation however i believe base was very expensive, wifi and internet were expensive and the connection was bad and very slow. The meals and drinks were also overpriced for what you get. The biggest dissapointment about this hostel was the fact that we missed out on our free complimentry snorkel hire. Although we paid for a package that included a free meal, breakfast and snorkel hire the hostel quickly ran out of snorkel equipment, and for those who wernt quick enough lost out. I believe personally that a hostel that offers packages such as these who have on file how many people are due snorkel hire should have enough snorkel equipment to suit everyone who has paid for it. BIG DISSAPOINTMENT. other then that we met some great people and base did have a good social atmosphere.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kristiansand, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

This place has the feel of a resort with the prices of a hostel. We brought a tent so paid 10AUD pp which was cheap for what we got. We were the only ones camping. There were some "permanent" tents there but they looked very uncosy and uncomfortable compared to our little tent. There was a power-socket outside the tent.
The camping area is close to the bathrooms but far enough from the reception area not to be bothered about the loud music too much. There was a party the night we were there, and we were woken up by some drunk people living next door singing birthday songs, however this has really nothing to do with the hostel. I would not want to stay in the dorms here as they are too close to the party-area.
The bathroom facilities were very good and clean.
The kitchen was mediocre, but ok for cooking and was kept clean. There was no kitchen towels to dry dishes with, despite all the notes asking people to clean and dry what they use.
The outside area was great, we loved to chill by the pool looking out to the sea (you do not want to swim in the sea due to the stingers, so the pool was a big plus!)
The staff were generally friendly and helpful.
The only negatives I can say is that the kitchen was supposed to open at 6am but did not open until 6.30am (we got up early to watch the sunrise and see the koalas), and you are not allowed to bring alcohol into the area. (we smuggled some beers into the fridge in the kitchen... ooops, felt like criminals... but did not want to buy too many expensive drinks in the bar)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cairns
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed here in June, got a private room with a balcony that hangs over the ocean. Woke up to views of the ocean and hearing the waves crash against the rocks below. Great entertainment put on by the staff there. Very friendly staff. Maggie Island is beautiful and Base has a great location there with the bus stop right outside.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

I cannot emphasis how much of a let down this hostel was. This bad experience ranged from the giant ants that occupied every corner of the so called kitchen area, to the unhelpful staff who expected us to sleep in a room with no working lights.
To say the kitchen and cooking was unsanitary would be mild. Large ants were to be seen on every working space, along stacked plates and cutlery, there were no kitchen towels available to dry dishes, so upon asking a staff member said they could be stacked wet. The eating area which was outside on wooden benches was infested with ants.
In the shower area over flow of water would run into other showers. The rooms were basic, linen provided was bare, old and clearly passed its sell by date. The floor in the room had visibly not been brushed or cleaned in sometime. The bunk beds squeaked and shuttered with slightest movement and had rust creeping from the bottom. When we arrived it was dark, we went to the room and found the light switch would not work. We returned to the reception/bar and asked could something be done, a staff member returned to the room and in trying to turn on the light switch broke it by pushing it through the wall. We expected to be offered a new room, however we were given a flash light and upon asking to be compensated we were told he wasn't allowed do that, also it was out of his power to offer us one free wi-fi code. Base offers a totally unacceptable level of hospitality.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Magnetic Island hotels

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Base on Magnetic Island was a let down. It was great that it was right on a beach -there were great views- but there was a general sense there was a 'business formula' at play -like it was trying to brand itself as the 'party hostel' with excessively loud music and trying to be cool for kids after year 12 -but it felt forced and fake. (As opposed to evolving organically like Dougies in Port Douglas with 'real' longer term backpackers and a genuine backpacker culture). Base was a soul-less shell. I heard that it has needed to recover from a natural disaster but that was a fair while ago now. It doesn't excuse things like TERRIBLE SQUEAKY BUNK BEDS. They are so bad it is indescribable. I have been in reasonably squeaky hostel beds around the world and I have never had anything as bad as at Base on Magnetic Island. They were clearly cheap rubbish and need to be replaced.

Room Tip: Ask for a guarantee that there will be no squeaky beds and that you'll be as far as possible fro...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo