“Most wonderful hosts during my Australia-trip”

Arcadia Beach Guest House
Reviewed August 26, 2010

I found Arcadia Beach Guest House via the internet, and how lucky I was !
Pete and Jo, the new managers, picked me up by the ferry in a convertible VW Beetle. Colorful, friendly and helpful, always with a smile on their lips, if not a plain old funny remark, made this my most pleasant stay in Australia. Situated right by the beach and with great facilities, including a kitchen with all the cutlery you'd want, a great dining area with TV, rental cars on site etc. etc. Rooms were plain, but very clean. Dorms had two or four beds, all single-beds (no bunk beds for once). It's the kind of place, where you sit down and make friends with not just the managers, but also fellow-guests. Unlike Base Backpackers, it's a quiet place, where the focus is on a friendly peaceful atmosphere rather than party 24/7. Supermarket and restaurants close by, WI-FI on site. To top it all off, we were dropped off again by the ferry four days later in the lodge's Rolls Royce !!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Arcadia Beach Guest House

Reviewed August 26, 2010

I cannot sing the praises of Jo & Pete as warm and welcoming hosts highly enough - we came for 2 nights & stayed for 10. The guesthouse is immaculately kept, with options for all budgets/tastes, great lounge & dining areas, fantastic grocery shop around the corner & beautiful beach across the road. Not to mention the Rolls Royce!Didn't want to leave at all...

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 14, 2010

Our hosts Jo and Peter really made this trip so nice. We got one hotel room with a double bed which was very clean and comfortable. We also got a tent for the kids which was comfortable. The beach is right across the road (although not swimable b/c of the muddiness- maybe we came at the wrong time of year. Although they say there is nearby snorkling, too cloudy when we went. There is a shared kitchen, and lots of area to hang out in. Good if you don't want a huge party scene. The gardens need a bit of upkeep. For a nice hike- walk the Fort hike. We even saw two koalo bears!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank punkiepam
Reviewed August 12, 2010

My daughter, who is studying this semester in Townsville, and I came out to Maggie at the beginning of my trip to Australia. I had researched accomodations and while $30 for a dorm room seemed higher than the $18 that other places advertised, I wouldn't have it any other way. We stayed in a spacious 4 bed (no bunks) dorm room - "Horseshoe bay" and were the only two both nights. Jo and Peter were absolutely the most helpful and gracious hosts. When I wanted to stay an extra night, they allowed me to stay in a room in "Tom's Place" by myself in order to accomodate everyone else who wanted to extend. The entire place is quite clean and all the guests were friendly, mostly a late 20s - 60 crowd and families. They were practically full and you wouldn't know it because it was peaceful. There are 2 kitchens, 2 lanais with tvs. Those that stayed in the tents were pleased with them and didn't mind the short walk to the bathroom/showers. Arcadia Beach Guest House is across from Geoffrey bay and this time of year, we left the windows open at night to hear the waves crash on the shore. Alma Bay is a short walk and we snorkeled there. Bar, internet cafe, grocery, bus stop, etc... close by. This is not a party place. Go to Horseshoe Bay for that. Maggie reminds me of the North Shore of hawaii and i didn't want to leave. Oh, also, this is NOT a B & B, it's so much better - expect to make your own breakfast. They do have wifi...

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank kthomasva
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Loved our stay at Arcadia Beach Guest house.!!! My husband and I wish we could have stayed longer. The guest house is right on the water and there is another wonderful beach you can walk to about 5 minutes away,nice waves!! Our room was great with a beautiful view of the ocean. Jo and Pete couldn't have been nicer. They offered to drive us to various places to see the sights. There is a great bus system on the island. I wish Arcadia was a much shorter plane ride, we would go back in a minute. You won't be sorry when you book!!
Jay and Joan McEvoy
Bristol, Vermont

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank grb-shke
Reviewed July 21, 2010

First contact by mail, then phone, feel very pleased allready of the service and disponability.
They picked us up at the ferry and show us the neighborhood, letting us know what's going on, the attractions, etc before going to the guest house. I appreciate it very much.
They are very welcoming and make us feel comfortable straight away.
The place is very clean( i stayed in a tent and my friend in a room), can welcome any kind of peopes, joung, couples, old, there is a place for everybody.
They really took good care of us and it was diffucult to leave them.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 11, 2010

We had a month in Australia and spent about a week at Arcadia Guest House - longer than we had planned because we didn't want to leave! It is on a lovely bay. A gorgeous beach with a lifeguard is within walking distance and has good snorkeling too. The managers, Jo and Pete, are amazing. They were so very helpful throughout the whole trip and a delight to share a meal and a glass of wine with. We stayed in the tent, which had a large bed, table, lamp and fan - very comfortable. We woke up to the sounds of birds every morning, which was delightful. We didn't see the rooms so we can't comment of those. There are 2 kitchens and 2 comfortable television areas. There are 2 pool tables. There are lots of places to sit and talk or eat. It is very clean and Pete is up every morning bright and early cleaning up. They have snorkel gear, fishing gear, stinger suits, canoe and kayak all for one flat fee. I can't remember it exactly but it was very reasonable. There were 2 bikes there as well, but they essentially weren't usable and I think they were in the process of getting new ones. Within walking distance, there is a bay, a beach, a corner store which has everything, a bottle shop, a backpacker central (which has just about everything - restaurant, sundries shop, beach gear shop, travel agent, bars, etc) and it is right on the bus line, which is very easy to use.

We can't say enough about this place. We highly recommend it!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple