“Serene, Clean and centrally located”

Arcadia Beach Guest House
Norfolk, Virginia
“Serene, Clean and centrally located”
Reviewed August 12, 2010

My daughter, who is studying this semester in Townsville, and I came out to Maggie at the beginning of my trip to Australia. I had researched accomodations and while $30 for a dorm room seemed higher than the $18 that other places advertised, I wouldn't have it any other way. We stayed in a spacious 4 bed (no bunks) dorm room - "Horseshoe bay" and were the only two both nights. Jo and Peter were absolutely the most helpful and gracious hosts. When I wanted to stay an extra night, they allowed me to stay in a room in "Tom's Place" by myself in order to accomodate everyone else who wanted to extend. The entire place is quite clean and all the guests were friendly, mostly a late 20s - 60 crowd and families. They were practically full and you wouldn't know it because it was peaceful. There are 2 kitchens, 2 lanais with tvs. Those that stayed in the tents were pleased with them and didn't mind the short walk to the bathroom/showers. Arcadia Beach Guest House is across from Geoffrey bay and this time of year, we left the windows open at night to hear the waves crash on the shore. Alma Bay is a short walk and we snorkeled there. Bar, internet cafe, grocery, bus stop, etc... close by. This is not a party place. Go to Horseshoe Bay for that. Maggie reminds me of the North Shore of hawaii and i didn't want to leave. Oh, also, this is NOT a B & B, it's so much better - expect to make your own breakfast. They do have wifi...

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank kthomasva

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Vermont5443
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Loved our stay at Arcadia Beach Guest house.!!! My husband and I wish we could have stayed longer. The guest house is right on the water and there is another wonderful beach you can walk to about 5 minutes away,nice waves!! Our room was great with a beautiful view of the ocean. Jo and Pete couldn't have been nicer. They offered to drive us to various places to see the sights. There is a great bus system on the island. I wish Arcadia was a much shorter plane ride, we would go back in a minute. You won't be sorry when you book!!
Jay and Joan McEvoy
Bristol, Vermont

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank grb-shke
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 21, 2010

First contact by mail, then phone, feel very pleased allready of the service and disponability.
They picked us up at the ferry and show us the neighborhood, letting us know what's going on, the attractions, etc before going to the guest house. I appreciate it very much.
They are very welcoming and make us feel comfortable straight away.
The place is very clean( i stayed in a tent and my friend in a room), can welcome any kind of peopes, joung, couples, old, there is a place for everybody.
They really took good care of us and it was diffucult to leave them.

Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed July 11, 2010

We had a month in Australia and spent about a week at Arcadia Guest House - longer than we had planned because we didn't want to leave! It is on a lovely bay. A gorgeous beach with a lifeguard is within walking distance and has good snorkeling too. The managers, Jo and Pete, are amazing. They were so very helpful throughout the whole trip and a delight to share a meal and a glass of wine with. We stayed in the tent, which had a large bed, table, lamp and fan - very comfortable. We woke up to the sounds of birds every morning, which was delightful. We didn't see the rooms so we can't comment of those. There are 2 kitchens and 2 comfortable television areas. There are 2 pool tables. There are lots of places to sit and talk or eat. It is very clean and Pete is up every morning bright and early cleaning up. They have snorkel gear, fishing gear, stinger suits, canoe and kayak all for one flat fee. I can't remember it exactly but it was very reasonable. There were 2 bikes there as well, but they essentially weren't usable and I think they were in the process of getting new ones. Within walking distance, there is a bay, a beach, a corner store which has everything, a bottle shop, a backpacker central (which has just about everything - restaurant, sundries shop, beach gear shop, travel agent, bars, etc) and it is right on the bus line, which is very easy to use.

We can't say enough about this place. We highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pebble_pups
Victoria
Reviewed July 7, 2010

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Arcadia Beach Guest House. The rooms and bathrooms were extremely clean showing the managers, Peter and Jo, take pride in their environment. They were wonderful hosts, very friendly and always available to help. I stayed a couple of nights in the safari tent which was well worth the experience!
I extended my original stay due to the relaxed and friendly atmosphere. There were many things to do on the island such as a number of excellent walks and the horseriding (which was fantastic!) The Stage Door Theatre Restaurant was another wonderful experience, very entertaining! The local RSL holds a Sunday roast and trivia which was a great way to socialise with the managers and other guests.
As far as places to eat, you cannot go past Butler's Pantry which is around the corner from the Arcadia Guest House. It serves wonderful food and has excellent service, the best place to eat on the island!
I would recommend Arcadia Beach Guest House to anyone who enjoys a friendly and clean place to stay. I am hoping to return to Arcadia Guest House later on in the year!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Landshut, Germany
Reviewed July 7, 2010

Beautiful guesthouse direkt on the beach with realy nice pool and realx areas. 2 TV lounges.
Nice and realy clean kitchen. Pool allways realy clean. Realy nice tents in the back area
in the tropical rainforest garden. Roylls Roylls pick up service for free from ferry point.
Nice and friendly stuff.
Kayaks snorkeling and bikes for 20 dollars the hole stay.
Realy my best stay in Australia

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Sydney, Canada
Reviewed June 14, 2010

Although the room was clean and spacious towels were not changed during our stay and neither was our room cleaned or bed re-made. Breakfast consisted of 2 slices of bread, some jam, a tub of fruit direct from supermarket shelf and a bottle of orange. This was left in the communal fridge the night before for guests to feed themselves with. Not quite the breakfast I imagined or felt $120 dollars for B & B would cover. Seemed to be charges for everything, $20 for snorkel, canoe etc, charge for internet...One morning no breakfast was provided as when they did their rounds at 5pm we hadn't eaten the one for that morning (we were going to have it for supper). Facilities on the island were variable, all seemed to have random days when closed, no consistency. Restaurants stop serving at 8pm on a Sunday. Although this guest house is right on the beach it is not the beach everyone uses as it is rocky and muddy. Alma Bay is a 10 min walk up the road. Far more to do at Horseshoe and Picnic Bays. The island is beautiful and very restful but you would not want to stay longer than a few days.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple