We really enjoyed this property and considering you are in a forest and off the grid, there are a number of creature comforts that you really apprreciate like watching everything on Foxtel, great hot showers and having a full kitchen.
The views are simply to die for and we enjoyed having sundowners every evening from the studio and loved the location, perfect for exploring the Daintree forest.
Dean is a great host and really helpful for anything you may need, just rememeber to stock up on food etc before the ferry crossing to cook whiclst there to maximize your time with the property.
I stayed with my son and his family. La Vista is nice and safe for family with a child and an infant.
Total system( include housing architecture) is eco-friendly and well-designed. Kitchen is one of bests I ever exprienced in rural aria.
Just one problem was washing on rainy day. Wellcomed by ants on the poolside and bugs on the diningtable. Anyway these are flipside of eco-friendly home.
La Vista is in a stunning location surrounded by rainforest and has magnificent views. Our party consisted of 2 couples and we used both the shack and the studio. There are lots of stairs to the studio but it does have the best view and a luxurious feel. My husband and I were quite happy to have the shack - the ceiling fan over the bed was very effective and we loved the outdoor shower.
We were really surprised how few insects there were. Lots of ants but with a big fridge and plenty of plastic containers to store food, they weren't a problem. The off-grid experience was fine - flushing toilets, plenty of hot water, a washing machine, a spa, ceiling fans, wifi and adequate power. The generator wasn't noisy and the only time it fired was when we used the washing machine.
Dean was a very responsive and accommodating host and we had a great stay. Our only regret was that we couldn't stay longer.
We loved our stay at LaVista. Our only regret was not staying longer! The view was spectacular- looking over the top of the rain forest with the mountains and the ocean in the background. Falling asleep to the sounds of the rain forest was magical. The bed was very comfortable and the space beautifully done. We used the kitchen to grill and the hammock to relax. It was handy to have wifi and satellite TV available when we wanted it (which wasn't much, as it was a great space to be unplugged). We liked the location, as well. It's close to the Daintree Ferry and the Daintree Discovery Center (and the Daintree Ice Cream Company!), but also not far to get to Cape Tribulation and everything in between. Dean (the owner) was super responsive and helpful during our stay. We had some questions about dropping off groceries early, the weather, etc and he responded quickly with suggestions and flexibility. Highly recommend!
CONCLUSION: Don’t do business with Dean Wilson. Avoid La Vista.
PROS of staying at La Vista:
1) We chose this location due in part to the 5-star reviews left by previous guests. They indicated that Dean Wilson was a good host and that the property was great.
2) We found La Vista to be a lovely spot and the unique nature of the property with 2 buildings and an outdoor kitchen is appealing.
3) There is very little lacking in terms of amenities and the units are clean and well taken care of. It is located near some interesting attractions and you can experience the rain forest first hand.
4) The booking was easy, and Dean was fast in responding to our booking requests. Subsequently he was reasonably fast at replying to emails while we stayed there.
5) He attended the site in a timely manner when there was an issue.
CONS of staying at La Vista:
1) The Bugs - During our visit the bugs were overwhelming. We were advised by Dean (through the house manual) to keep the windows and doors shut and we did this religiously. We were also told to keep the lights off and we also did this. Despite our compliance, there were thousands of bugs in the upper building. The outside of our luggage was covered in bugs, the beds had hundreds of bugs on the pillows and sheets. There were small black bugs that jumped, small white bugs that flew and another type that crawled onto the bed. The glass table in the front area was covered in bugs and the floor and walls had bugs on them. There was little to no sleep given the number of insects and the uncomfortableness of having them crawl on our face, arms, hair etc.
2) Dean Wilson – A bigger problem then the bugs. He failed to honor his word, refuses to communicate post stay and has little to no empathy for his guests. He is not interested in taking responsibility as the owner for the guest experience.
We simply rented his house and there was a big issue - thousands of bugs crawling all over the beds, furniture, walls, floors and luggage. As the owner, he promised to rectify the situation by refunding our last 2 nights. If Dean Wilson was a host committed to his guests experience, he would have apologized for the incident and refunded us for all 3 nights.
If you decide to rent La Vista, understand that should anything go wrong, Dean Wilson is not going to help you. In fact, he will disown you, ignore you and generally just hope that you will go away.
The 5-star reviews that Dean has littered over the internet are based solely on things going right for the renters and there not being any issues with the house or property during their stay. However, the real test of a host/ business owner is when things go wrong.
If Dean could score 5 stars on how he handles these difficult situations he would deserve the other 5-star reviews. Dean Wilson miserably fails in this aspect.
We loved La Vista, great place, fabulous view, very comfortable and well appointed, the pool was a godsend when we returned from our walks and exploring in the heat of the afternoon, cold beer and bbq watching dusk settle over landscape very special, a real privilege to be able to stay there. Certainly endorse the other reviews that also loved La Vista, we will be back for sure.
A wonderful tree-house overlooking the Daintree, your eyes followings rows and rows of trees until they reach the sea. You’ll find a wonderfull open Studio with all eyes (even from the bed) directed to the view. The big front view is windowless, supplied with an insect screen. Beautiful for sounds and smells, may become unhandy during heavy rains. The kitchen is open air on ground level and fully equipped. The pool is small but pleasant and clean. One of the most beautiful places in the world to stay for the adventurous, more softhearted or very urban persons may consider a while. Communion with the host is pure pleasure.