“Good quality eatery - booking required”

Daintree Tea House Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 9 Restaurants in Daintree
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Hidden in the hill side greenery with outdoor dining surrounded by garden and the rainforest. Away from the hustle and bustle.
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Food was nice and fresh. Lots of barrumundi options amongst other things. Not overpriced considering location and other options. Restaurant was clean and owners were very friendly and entertaining.

1  Thank Mabbitts

Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

We came here for a late lunch, based on the reviews on the trip advisor. We were quite disappointed - with value and service, and still being hungry $50 later!!
I had the seafood curry (entree) and my husband had the lunch special (fish, salad and chips). Both meals were just under $20 each and the entire bill (no drinks but a scone at te end) came to just under $50.
We barely saw the waiter throughout - for everything I needed to go up to the counter and wait until he appeared.
The quality of the curry was excellent, and the lunch special ok - not great. But the real issue for me was the size of the dishes. Admittedly I ordered the entree size - I had read the reviews of the curry and mistook this for it. It was served in a half pawpaw (hollowed out). As mentioned, it was delicious, but there were about 3 spoons (really) of curry, 1 medium prawn and a scallop. Again admittedly it was an entree size - but as we were clearly there for lunch possibly a gentle hint when we ordered about its size might have been an idea!? I presume it is seen by them as a delicacy - in which case when you have visitors who are unlikely to have ordered the dish before, maybe wise to point it out?
The lunch special was described as a 'very satisfying, substantial meal' in the menu. It had a tiny fish fillet, (around the size of an iPhone), about 5 or 6 thin chips (which were very nice!!) and a tiny side salad. Very Unsatisfying and pretty ordinary other than the chips. $20 is not a fortune for a lunch dish - but it's not cheap and to at least have a reasonable serving of chips or salad would have made a smallish meal rather than tiny snack.
as mentioned, the waiter was hard to catch although it wasnt busy, and the meals - if I could call them that - took well over half an hour to arrive, as did the scone we ordered later - which we ordered in an attempt to have something quick to fill us up a bit before getting back to sightseeing.
We are not huge eaters - and eat out several times a week, even at home and every day on holiday.
Maybe we came on a bad day? But I certainly wouldn't recommend it for lunch unless you plan on spending over $100 at what is really a cottage serving meals.

1  Thank birdling
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Lovely relaxing place to put your feet up and enjoy of cuppa and just watch the babbling brook! Staff very friendly and helpful.

1  Thank debbie t
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed the food and the ambiance here. It was just so relaxed and I had the barra with local fruits which was very delicious. The owner also took the time to explain to us the different fruits which was was a nice added touch to the experience.

1  Thank tonycolhoun
Reviewed January 27, 2014

out in the bush.a lovely place daintree.also had a great trip on brucebelchers river cruise about 4ks before tea house

1  Thank andy m