“Great communicators”

Ranked #1 of 5 Daintree B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“Great communicators”
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Red Mill House was one of the highlights of our holiday. It was wonderful to go to the tropics and to be able to enjoy the exotic surroundings - the well designed house works WITH the environment so that you felt a part of it but without sacrificing comfort.
It was terrific to lie in bed and listen to gentle rain and bush birds. Our room was comfortable and with good reading lights. Breakfast featured locally grown tropical fruits.
Trish and Andrew are fabulous hosts. They are very involved in the Daintree community and have wonderful local knowledge. They are fabulous communicators and took enormous pains to ensure that guests were equipped in every way to explore the area. I appreciated our annotated maps and bag packed with chilled water.
Trish and Andrew were funny and fun. I loved staying with them.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 7, 2010

Set in the beautiful Daintree Village, back from the road it felt like I had found a hidden treasure. I felt very welcome in Andrew and Trish's home and felt well looked after. The amount of "care" was spot on, from a beautiful breakfast and guide to what was in the region really suited my needs. This included practical things like a run down of restaurants in the area, some great walks, information about the local birdlife and other wildlife and even a great masseuse.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Warrnambool
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Trish and Andrew are friendly, considerate and helpful hosts. We were made most welcome.
They were happy to offer suggestions for making best use of our time in Daintree. Other little extra details were appreciated.
You don't have to be interested in birds to enjoy the comforts of Red Mill House, but if you are Trish and Andrew are a mine of helpful information.
This was our second visit and we hope to return next year .
P.S.The breakfasts are to die for!!

DC
Reviewed August 23, 2010

I stayed at Red Mill for 4 nights. I was travelling with my 6 month old son, husband and another couple. Based on the fantastic reviews that Red Mill has on Trip Advisor, we decided we had to stay at this place.

Red Mill is fantastically clean and quaint. However, we had a terrible time there. Red Mill has received EcoTourism awards for lowering their consumption of electricity and what not.

Should you fall into the category that needs the use of the AC, washer/dryer etc, you might feel very uncomfortable staying there as there is a very strong expectation that you dont run pretty much any electrical/gasoline appliance.

The very first day we arrived, my son had just fallen asleep after an hour of crying. The car seat gets very hot so even a few minutes without an AC results the temperature becoming uncomfortable. We come from the Northeast US and just came from winter so the 35C weather was new to my son. I kept the car running while my husband went to get the keys. Trish and Andrew INSISTED multiple times that we turn the engine off. They did not know the background of why I needed the engine running. It was MY car, I was paying for the gas and yet they insisted that I turn the engine off. I refused twice but my husband turned the car off the third time and yes, my son woke up crying. GREAT!

Guess in part, it was my stupid fault for travelling with such a young child, but I hoped that people would at least let me be in my own car!

The lodge advertises ACs, but you should not use them or run the washers unless you have a very full load, DO NOT RUN THE DRYERS, even if you have to dry clothes in the shed and might find spiders on them later.

This was unacceptable to me. We ran the AC as my son could not sleep in the heat. We were forced to combine laundry with the other couple even though my son's dirty diapers were in there, and, even then Andrew was unhappy that we ran them without his permission. We were only allowed to dry my son's diapers in the dryer, all other clothes had to be line dried in the shed.

There were so many rules about using the washer dryer - even though we paid for each load.

If I pay for a load, I would like to at least wash my son's dirty stinky diapers on their own instead of forcing another couple to have their clothes washed at the same time.

Before the trip, I emailed Trish and asked if we could have the upper rooms if they were available at the time of our stay. She said that they were available but we could only have them if the lodge was empty as we had a child.

I am not sure what the logic was, as my son could note exactly stomp around the place. He was not even crawling at the time. But, I decided to wait and see.

On arrival, we found that the lodge would be empty, but my request to be moved to the upper rooms was denied and Trish denied that she emailed me saying that we could move if the lodge was empty. I have since sent her a copy of her email. She did not address the part where she said that we could have the rooms if the lodge was empty.

Why were the upper rooms so important to me?

I am a photographer and the angle of the light is very important to me. Given my young son's nap schedules, I wanted the flexibility of being able to set up the camera and tripod outside my room and yet angle the lens away from the light.

Trish's solution was that I should set up tripod on the upper deck, not sure what I was supposed to do with my sleeping son.

Needless to say, I got not photographs from the lodge - the entire purpose of my trip was moot.

There were also NO birds that I could see from my lower level unit anywhere on the grounds. Not sure if the time of the year was wrong or what .. but you have to walk to fields or go on a boat cruise to see anything.

This being said - the lodge is very, very clean. Daintree is extremely quaint, restaurants are lovely, the cruises that Trish recommended and set up on the Daintree were fantastic and very productive.

You can stay here and have a great time as long as you fit what Trish and Andrew are looking for .. and we did not fit the bill.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
14 Thank Temp1
redmill, Owner at Red Mill House in Daintree, responded to this review, August 28, 2010
We are very disappointed that this guest was so unhappy with her experience at Red Mill House.
As owners of Red Mill House, we strive to ensure our guests are well cared for and leave happy. Our Tripadvisor reviews reflect this. We acknowledge that Red Mill House is not for everybody and we try to assess suitability when taking bookings. This guest was clearly unsuited to Red Mill House.
Our Environmental Policy is clearly published on our website, is not unusual, and is not particularly onerous. Our guests generally appreciate our efforts and embrace our environmental ethos.
Guests are allowed to use the air-conditioners, but we expect them to use them in a thoughtful manner. Likewise with washing machines, lights etc.
Red Mill House is a traditional B&B, not a hotel. We are sharing our home with our guests and people generally respond to our hospitality with traditional good manners by asking permission to use the facilities – BBQ, computer, laundry etc. They also respect our choices of suitability of rooms, according to the circumstances at the time. We try to be mindful of each and every guest.
Trip Advisor is a fabulous research tool, but we recommend that people also look at the Red Mill House website before making bookings.
Sydney
Reviewed August 15, 2010

We just loved Red Mill House, it's a perfect place to stay if visiting the Daintree. Trish and Andrew made us feel so welcome and they never seem to tire of explaining to everyone about the things they should see and the best places to visit, including something to fill in the day when the weather wasn't the best. We stayed three nights and I hate being a nuisance so didn't mention I'm gluten free, but I said something on the second day and lo and behold out popped some gluten free toast with my last breakfast. The breakfasts were delicious, healthy and filling and the fruit platter was a little sampling dish of all the local fruit, some of which we'd never tried. Top that off with the magnificent setting out on the covered verandah plus the tea and coffee out their for the making we were in city slickers heaven. Then off course there was the bonus of the green lipped frogs hiding behind the paintings and in door jambs. Don't worry there are good screens on the doors and they can't pay you nocturnal visits in your room. Amazingly there are birds singing at night, not something I've heard before. The accommodation was great, comfy beds (and we are very fussy) and roomy well equipped bathrooms.Their suggestion that we go to the General Store (the only place to eat in Daintree Village) for dinner on the Saturday night for their special Saturday roast with live music (12.50 each) was brilliant. The food was great, the music had us out of seats and dancing, everyone was so friendly and we met some of the locals. Hi to Harry and Robyn from us and thanks for inviting us up to see their magnificent passionfruit farm.

Thanks again Trish and Andrew, you are masters at what you do. We'll be back - probably on a Saturday night!!!.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2010

We were recommended Red Mill house by friends and so glad they told us about it.
Andrew and Trish are perfect hosts and their knowledge of everything in the area was just amazing, as was the breakfast; particularly the homemade bread and samples of local, never before tasted fruit!

The location is stunning you are virtually in the rain forest. The rooms are lovely, with your own balcony, ideal for relaxing with a glass of wine after a day’s adventure. There is a stunning sitting room for general use and all amenities are well catered for.

Ideal for couples, families and particularly wheelchair friendly..Nothing is a problem to this very hospitable couple.

Portland, OR
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Best hotel/hostel stay in Australia, hands down.

Trish & Andrew are amazing hosts who really enjoy what they do. They're also both keen birdwatchers, and are eager to point out the variety of species that frequent their gorgeous back yard.

Cooked breakfasts were delicious, and there's always tea & coffee available.

Our room was beautiful, with dark wood, plenty of space for our stuff, and a spotless bathroom. There was a shared fridge just outside our door. The highlight was the balcony that extends along the length of both buildings; it lends itself to sitting & relaxing, reading a book, peering through binoculars, or enjoying a glass of wine.

We booked online and got the Internet special, which included a cheese & wine tray that we thoroughly enjoyed on the balcony in lieu of dinner out one night.

The only downside to the property is the lack of insulation in the newer building: it seems that the sound of most every footstep, squeak, or flip of a switch carried through the building. We were upstairs and tried to soft-step as to not annoy neighboring guests.

Trish & Andrew even took us out to a friend's farm outside of town to look for platypus. No luck, but a great look at an Aussie farm and a chance to meet some more friendly locals.

Well worth every penny, and a BIG thumbs up. We'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daintree
Daintree EcoLodge & Spa
#1 of 2 in Mossman
Lync-Haven Rainforest Retreat, Cabins, Camping & Wildlife Experience
Daintree Wilderness Lodge
Heritage Lodge & Spa

Been to Red Mill House in Daintree? Share your experiences!