“My idea of a perfect bed and breakfast”

Red Mill House in Daintree
Ranked #1 of 5 Daintree B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 4, 2009

Red Mill met all my requirements for an idyllic bed and breakfast. The very clean rooms are simply decorated in a style fitting the beautiful bush surroundings. The food at breakfast was fresh and abundant. Trish and Andrew were friendly without being intrusive and extremely helpful in assisting us in planning day trips which included my 81 year old mother. A highlight was an early morning boat trip to see and hear the wild life on the river. I heard them helping a family with young children plan successfully for their different needs. They shared their pleasure in and extensive knowledge of the fauna and flora of their garden. I booked the hotel on a friend's recommendation and I have since recommended it to other friends.

• Stayed: April 2009
There are newer reviews for Red Mill House in Daintree

Reviewed November 4, 2009

We had a fantastic stay at Red Mill House. What a find! We were expecting Daintree village to be a little bigger - but the welcome and comfortable surrounds of our stay were beyond expectation.
Andrew and Trish were always helpful, friendly and willing to give ideas, advice and arrange anything we wanted to do. I appreciated their relaxed approach and their open house.
the birdwatching from the verandah was great fun - it has reinspired me to get into birdwatching more seriously again.
A lovely varied garden, enjoyed my own tour. We had fabulous breakfasts (feasts!) and I was well catered for even with dietary restricitons.
Good suggestions regarding local tours/attractions and helpful advice. Enjoyed their company and their local frog population kept us on our toes!

Lovely place to stay - cant wait to goback again!

Karen

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2009

Is it possible to feel at home at a guest house half-way around the world from home? I didn't really believe it until I stayed at the Red Mill House in Daintree village. Not 50 miles away, one will find the lustre and comforts of big, yet soulless hotels of Port Douglas and Cape Tribulation. However, I found the warm hospitality of Trish and Andrew, who made sure I had everything I needed during my stay. Despite having no idea of what I could do during my stay there, I soon had all the maps and suggestions I needed to fill my week.

The Red Mill House tends to be associated with bird watchers; but you really needn't be one to enjoy what the place has to offer. I had no particular interest in bird watching before I got there; I am more of an amateur photographer. However, I got to learn a lot about birds, information which I welcomed, and I even had a rare chance to photograph a sun-bird building its nest just outside my room window!

Amongst the things you will find on the Red Mill House website is what they provide for breakfast. What you will not find — but have to experience like I did — is how enjoyable it is to have it on their balcony overlooking the garden. It is an amazingly relaxing feeling. On one of the days, I was planning to go to Port Douglas for the day and I was running late. Trish realised that I had little time to spare on buying food and actually offered to make me sandwiches to take with me. I'm sure if you asked her now, she would say that it was no trouble at all. Yet, the mere convenience and more importantly the attention to the guests' needs, I think, is a rare commodity; and certainly not something one easily gets for A$125/night. And when I took sick one evening, after having been massacred by the local midges and dehydrated under the Australian sun, they gave me medicine and the doctor's number. Note that Trish is actually a nurse, which made me feel a little more secure. Given all the above, I would say that staying in the Red Mill House is more like staying with family than being just another guest at a hotel.
For the techies amongst us — and I am definitely one — Andrew will provide you with internet access while you are there. I have to admit, the place was so beautiful that I hardly used that service, although I appreciated it was available; and they only charged me accordingly.

I need not go into details about how many opportunities for photography this place provides. I will just say that one can merely sit leisurely in the balcony and see a monitor lizard, a golden orb weaver (Nephila), various birds, scrub fowls, a bandicoot, tropical snakes (nothing too deadly), tree frogs, etc. And when it rains, it all comes alive! I've had the sweetest sleep all those nights, by the calming sounds of the tropical creatures.

In conclusion, if you are looking for a place near all major attractions of the Daintree forest — and even with good access to more cosmopolitan places, like Port Douglas — then look no further: the Red Mill House will provide all of that, with added hospitality thrown in for free.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed November 3, 2009

We are not birdwatchers but loved the exeprience of being amongst such passionate people. The setting was perfect and the room very clean and comfortable. Breakfast on the verandah was delicious and relaxing. We also had a wonderful BBQ with everything supplied. Trish and Andrew are perfect hosts and had great recommendations for our sight seeing trips and our onward journey to Mareeba wetlands (also recommended).
Andrew also helped us with an internet connection for last minute work stuff.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2009

My wife & I normally don't take the time to write these reviews, but given we had such a relaxing time at Red Mill, we thought it imperative. Trish & Andrew were wonderful hosts. From the home made yoghurt and personalised breakfast on the balcony over looking the garden, to the answers to all our "touristy" questions and unbiased advice of what's worthwhile seeing, we had a great time. We loved the pool, proximity to the Daintree village and also to the local sites, especially the waterfall and waterhole. My wife & I were looking for the comforts of a resort combined with the feeling of staying with friends. Trish & Andrew made this experience for us and we'd recommend a stay time and time again.

Carl & Renee

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2009

The hosts at this Bed and Breakfast provide a quality level of service with a warmth of personality and a depth of of valuable knowledge. From the local fruits and homemade foods for breakfast to engaging discusssion Trish and Andrew have perfected the art of looking after their guests. They should also be congratulated on their genuine work to reduce their carbon footprint at the accommodation and in their community.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 1, 2009

We began a 3-week Australian holiday with Trish and Andrew at their lovely, peaceful Red Mill House in the Daintree rainforest, and could not have had a better start to our great adventure. These two expert birders will help you discover the rainforest's many natural wonders (especially its avian wonders). Even non-birders will appreciate the in-house expertise of the winged glories that populate this primeval rainforest--if only for their aesthetics! You can spend many hours on the main upper deck looking through Andrew's scopes and binoculars, trying to figure out what that flash of yellow or purple or green was that just flew through the forest. It's truly a paradise for wildlife lovers. And of course, within walking distance is a river that is home to crocodiles, snakes, fish, amazing insects, turtles, etc. etc. It's a fascinating part of the world to explore, and Red Mill is a perfect base to do so.

So, for the immediate surroundings: Red Mill is a lovely 2-storey wood house set in a gorgeous (and alive!) bit of rainforest, on the edge of the quaint and quiet Daintree Village. Clean, comfortable rooms with a roomy bathroom (great showerhead, nice fluffy towels). No TV or phone--it's a real retreat (you can borrow an alarm clock for an early morning birding cruise if you need it). Two small family-run restaurants across the street in the village (also the location for at least one Daintree RIver cruise), both of which have decent food and a nice small-town character. Outside seating at every room, and birding books galore at the main seating area where breakfast is served. And what a breakfast! Australians love their cooked breakfasts, but that doesnt mean you have to skimp on the cold b'fast--you get both in many places. Trish makes her own yogurt and breads and muesli so you can get started before they serve you eggs, bacon, tomato and mushrooms! (and of course coffee, tea and juice).

I've not often had such great "tour guiding service" as offered by Trish and Andrew. They led us to hidden walks, the best birding cruise (take the 6:30am one to really see the rainforest come alive!), the most interesting sites to see on a day trip to the Cape Tribulation area. We didn't need guide books, we had personal guides to cater to our every interest. It was great, and especially at the start of our trip.

On top of all that, they are just the nicest people--it really was hard to leave after our 3 perfect days there. We would go back in an instant.

For more info: www.redmillhouse.com.au

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank loriPBerkeley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daintree
Daintree EcoLodge & Spa
#1 of 2 in Mossman
Daintree Rainforest Retreat
Daintree Riverview Lodges & Camp Ground
Lync-Haven Rainforest Retreat, Cabins, Camping & Wildlife Experience

Been to Red Mill House in Daintree? Share your experiences!