Red Mill House in Daintree
$398
$355
Hotwire.com
  • Pool
Club Tropical Resort(Port Douglas)
$114
$111
Mantra On The Inlet(Port Douglas)
Saltwater Luxury Apartments(Port Douglas)(Great Value!)
$400
$363
  • Pool
Mantra Heritage(Port Douglas)(Great Value!)
$150
$131
Cow Bay Hotel(Cow Bay)
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
Mai Tai Resort(Port Douglas)
Hotels.com
All reviewsbird watchingb byogurthomemade breaddaintree villagecape tribulationcooked breakfastgreat birdingtree frogsearly morninghome madeoverlooking the gardenexcellent breakfasttropical fruitgreat hostsbird lovershelped us plan
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Mrs and Mr Zuschlag stayed at The Red Mill for two nights late december 2012. We enjoyed every minute and can only wish to come back some day. We are birders and thanks to Trish and Andrew, we saw lots of exiting birds.
Lovely room, garden, pool and breakfast - all superb.
Best regards
Zuschlag
Denmark

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Very homely bed and breakfast accommodation with enthusiastic and attentive hosts. We only stayed here for 2 nights and really made the most of our time with a sunset trip on the Daintree river and the following day we took the car across the river ferry to explore Cape Tribulation. It really is a beautiful part of Australia and you actually feel that you have left the beaten track. You don't have to be avid birdwatchers to stay here, but it helps! We like to see and identify birds and enjoy nature in general, but we don't have all the binocular and camera gear that serious birdwatchers have. I have to admit we kept a look-out for the cassowary but they remained elusive!

The location of Red Mill House is up a private drive just off the main street of Daintree village, with a couple of restaurants within walking distance. It has a wildlife garden which is viewed from the first floor terrace/balcony. Our room was comfortable with an en-suite shower room. It had huge picture windows/patio doors which opened onto the communal balcony. I did feel this lacked privacy so kept the curtains closed, and for just 2 nights I could cope! The climate was a little hot and sticky as we were there at the beginning of January and the rainy season had not yet kicked in. There is a pool to cool off for a dip. Thankfully our room had both air-con and a ceiling fan. Also we did find at night time that little bugs were somehow getting in when we had the light on, so we just turned the lights off and had an early night. Unusually perhaps, there is no TV in the room but we didn't miss it. Wifi was free but the signal was a bit hit and miss.

The breakfast was delicious. I especially liked the fruit platter of approx 12 different types of tropical fruit cut into chunky bite sized pieces, and the home-made ginger yoghurt. Followed by a full English breakfast. In our 3 weeks travelling through Australia this was the best breakfast!

Trish and Andrew are very hands-on hosts, offering advice on which restaurants were open in the village, and recommending the best places to go to suit us, including rainforest boardwalks, an icecream factory and even a crocodile-free waterhole to swim in. On the day we set off on our drive to Cape Tribulation we were given a cool-bag containing a large bottle of water, a plastic cup and an icepack. How thoughtful is that!

You are assured of a very warm welcome and if you appreciate nature you will love it at Red Mill House. I am writing this while drinking local Daintree tea from Cape Tribulation, from a mug depicting rainbow lorikeets (coming from the UK I don't think I ever tired of seeing those colourful little parrots flying around which are probably more common than sparrows over here).

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mkjan13
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I have looked forward to traveling to Australia since HS. Staying at the Red Mill House was the highlight of our travels in country. Trish and Andrew were THE BEST! I had hardly gotten out of the car and said HI, before i started outlining some disappointments I had experience. By the time we reached the front door Trish already had the solution, made some calls and I had the most exquisite time. Accommodations were perfect! Their 'yard' was outstanding for serene wildlife watching (I am a birder). Trish and Andrew made suggestions and all were spot on. Until then, I was ready to write OZ off---I had been in country for about 9 days or so. But staying there turned it all around. We only stayed two nights and I wish we had stayed much longer. You cannot go wrong staying here......Trish and Andrew will make your stay superlative. And this from a VERY CRANKY person who was waiting to be disappointed. Thank you Trish and Andrew!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My 24 year old son and I stayed in November 2012, the welcome was lovely, breakfasts exceptional, especially the fruit and yoghourt, facilities all excellent, rooms, swimming pool, reference books. The situation is very good, in the village for food, river trips, good birding straight from the door. Trish and Andrew are brilliant hosts, give excellent advice about places to go and see, knowledgeable about the area and the wildlife. Part of a network of wildlife places which made the holiday easy and enjoyable. Anyone will love it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 15, 2013

My 16 year old son and I stayed at Red Mill House just before Christmas as part of our four week Australian adventure. We travelled from North to South along the east coast and can honestly say that the area around Daintree and Cape Tribulation was our favourite. Sydney was wonderful but for outstanding scenery, walks, wildlife and hospitality this is the place to visit.Trish and Andrew were like friends we didn't know we had and went out of their way to ensure we knew the best walks, trips, sights etc and more importantly what to avoid.
This is not a luxury high end hotel but a fantastic small B&B.....go, you will love it!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family