“Become one with nature”

Daintree EcoLodge & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Daintree
Reviewed March 11, 2007

We booked our stay at the famous Daintree Eco Lodge on advice of our Travel Agent. We had a great time. The resort is set in the world heritage Daintree Rainforest and the property it is located on is a sacred site for the local aboriginal people. There is a waterfall onsite which feeds a lovely stream that flows through the property and you hear the water flowing from your room.. very relaxing indeed. If you want to relax and unwind than this is the place for you. We will be back. thanks to Corinne & Heide and the rest of the team for a very special stay.

• Stayed: February 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Pattansky

Reviewed February 20, 2007

my wife and i spent 5 wonderful nights there.It was school holiday time,so it was busy ,you would not have known.The staff were helpful and answered any questions we had about the
area The lodge did charge alot to drop us off in Port Douglas to pick up a rental car when they already had passengers going to
Cairns.Port Douglas car rentals dropped us back at the lodge after our rental period with pleasure and no chargeThe lodge was more than I expected was of a high standard ,relaxing peacefull

Stayed: September 2006
2  Thank pulsar04
Reviewed September 14, 2006

I don’t expect massively swanky resort facilities in the rainforest, and liked the eco-sound ethos behind this place. The spa was great; the Aboriginal guided introduction to the rainforest fascinating; the dawn chorus from all of the rainforest birds astounding; the trip on the adjacent river at night (stars, crocs, bats...) was the highlight of our trip. And we did expect mosquitoes! It’s more that the place feels, well, unloved. And expensive. And it’s gone downhill since I last stayed in 2003. The rooms were OK but the place feels a bit shabby in parts- saggy bed, noisy generator- and there’s a fair bit of traffic noise too, if your villa is near the road. But then, without a car you’re pretty trapped so either hire one or make sure you organise lots of tours and resign yourself to depressing meals in the dingy restaurant. The poor new guy on reception- sweet but clueless- made mistakes with our booking and transfers. Other staff were not exactly surly, but put it like this, they didn’t look pleased to see guests (the manager in particular). The beautiful waterfall has been ruined by the construction of an ugly new viewing platform, which has upset parts of the Aboriginal community. I really wanted to love this place, but if I came again, I’d either stay in Port Douglas and get up early to explore this area, or I would stay further up in Cape Tribulation at somewhere cheaper which still involved being in the incredible forest.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Fiona949
Reviewed August 7, 2006

A visit to Daintree Eco-Lodge is NOT just the accommodation. To really experience the rainforest you have to experience everything there is to offer... I just stayed at the Daintree Eco Lodge with my daughter and we both had a fabulous time.

We both enjoyed spa treatments in the rainforest (What a treat! Bobbi cured all of my aches and pains!) and spent time with one of their Aboriginal guides, who taught us dot art painting (we have the souvenirs to remember the trip by) and then walked through the rainforest as she told us about her ancestors and all aspects of Aboriginal culture from her families perspective.

Food was great too. A wide variety and the breakfasts are unbelievable creations from their chef, who comes in daily to plan the menus.

Admittedly there are mosquitos - this is the rainforest, but don't let it put you off. Take some good repellent, relax and enjoy a spa bath overlooking the rainforest from your private cabin. Daintree Eco Lodge is not just a hotel in the rainforest, it is an experience, so make sure you book up for the tours and spa treatments (you can't just show up at the last minute for the spa as it's been listed as the best in several travel magazines).

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank Toronto_review
Reviewed May 15, 2006

We have enjoyed fhe top and bottom of accommodation, but for 450 AUS a night I expected something pretty special.....
It was not to be....
villas are badly in need of updating, a premises can be Eco friendly without cracked basins and worn bathrooms...the water pumps failed while we were there so no showers in the morning. that day..they were sorry but that was it....
Restaurant food OK but nothing special...
Our friends stayed up the road in a B and B for 135.00 and it was fabulous, beautiful lookout and great hosts....
the setting is beautiful, but if you don't have a car it could get pretty dreary, perhaps Eco Lodge is aimed at the corporate market, where the customers are not paying for themselves....
I don't intend to sound like an overpampered tourist but the price here is the key....
With the accomodation as it is, 200.00 to 250.00 a night would be a fairer charge....
Staff are terrific but the owner needs to spend some serious moiney upgrading.....

• Stayed: May 2006
11  Thank jaymay
A TripAdvisor Member
Cairns
Reviewed April 26, 2006

My girlfiriend and I stayed for three nights. Our room was comfortable and looked out into the trees. We had a great time. We are from Cairns and the rainy season doesn't bother us. We enjoyed spa treatments that made us feel really special and made us relax. Sure it rained a fair bit - but it is the wet season and the rain didn't stop us from doing anything. We had delcious meals in the Restaurant and the Chef was very flexible as my girlfriend is a vegetarian. We loved the Art Class and can't fault the friendly staff. We really enjoyed the spa and relaxing in our room.

• Stayed: March 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 19, 2006

My husband and I were booked in for 4 nights. The room was private with a great spa on the balcony but... the double bed was actually two singles placed together - very hard to get romantic. All the electricity turns off when you leave the room so the room was often hot; and anything in the fridge/freezer thawed; the showerhead was the most basic you can get with no pressure. On top of this it turned out that an American family (with three very loud children) were staying (although I thought children were not welcome, and certainly shouldn't be) were staying, and ruined the serenity of our breakfasts and dinner.
We had a spa (the whole reason we went there) booked for the second day and they asked us to move it to accomodate for other guests. The next day the water pump broke and so we couldn't have the massage, and it got moved to day four. But on day four they advised us that a cyclone was coming and it would bein our best interest to leave, which we did. Now I understand that the cyclone was not their fault, but if they had not moved us around in the first place we would've got our spas. The offered us 50% off our next massage -> it took me two years to save for this holiday!! very unlikely I'll be back. The manager also told us that he wouldn't charge us for the last nights stay, but when I went back to my travel agent they said it wasn't possible.
I would recommend any potentials to stay at Port Douglas (The Sheraton Mirage was fantastic) and to drive up for a massage (which I did overhear guests were saying was amazing - I'll never know).
On the upside the location is great for visiting cape tribulation and mossman. The daintree village is nearby, and there is a lovely restaurant a short walk away, although the ecolodge restaurant is also wonderful.

• Stayed: March 2006
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daintree
Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Port Douglas
Daintree Wilderness Lodge
Ferntree Rainforest Lodge
Ferntree Rainforest Lodge
#9 of 14 in Cape Tribulation

Been to Daintree EcoLodge & Spa? Share your experiences!