“You could do so much better”

Daintree EcoLodge & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Daintree
A TripAdvisor Member
“You could do so much better”
Reviewed March 19, 2006

My husband and I were booked in for 4 nights. The room was private with a great spa on the balcony but... the double bed was actually two singles placed together - very hard to get romantic. All the electricity turns off when you leave the room so the room was often hot; and anything in the fridge/freezer thawed; the showerhead was the most basic you can get with no pressure. On top of this it turned out that an American family (with three very loud children) were staying (although I thought children were not welcome, and certainly shouldn't be) were staying, and ruined the serenity of our breakfasts and dinner.
We had a spa (the whole reason we went there) booked for the second day and they asked us to move it to accomodate for other guests. The next day the water pump broke and so we couldn't have the massage, and it got moved to day four. But on day four they advised us that a cyclone was coming and it would bein our best interest to leave, which we did. Now I understand that the cyclone was not their fault, but if they had not moved us around in the first place we would've got our spas. The offered us 50% off our next massage -> it took me two years to save for this holiday!! very unlikely I'll be back. The manager also told us that he wouldn't charge us for the last nights stay, but when I went back to my travel agent they said it wasn't possible.
I would recommend any potentials to stay at Port Douglas (The Sheraton Mirage was fantastic) and to drive up for a massage (which I did overhear guests were saying was amazing - I'll never know).
On the upside the location is great for visiting cape tribulation and mossman. The daintree village is nearby, and there is a lovely restaurant a short walk away, although the ecolodge restaurant is also wonderful.

• Stayed March 2006
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Reviewed March 13, 2006

We arrived at the Eco Lodge to find that they had a power shortage, and no lights or airconditioning. The rooms are in desperate need of renovation and ours was 2 star standard. The power returned six hours after we checked in, we were not offered any refund for our stay. We left despite being charged for two nights and had a much more enjoyable stay in Port Douglas.
The Eco Lodge is expensive and over rated, especially compared to other accomodation in the area. Keep away!

• Stayed May 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Yorkshire
Reviewed October 3, 2005

Don't know what we expected when we went to Daintree but I guess it was something rather more luxurious than this! Staff were very helpful and charming but the place itself, for us, left a bit to be desired. The rooms were OK but rather outdated and in need of some "tarting up". Restaurant food was by and large OK but not fantastic. Also seems very gloomy, even at night with lights on but I guess that is the eco friendly lightbulbs! The aboriginal art class is a must though - one of the highlights. Great fun and very informative and we produced our own artwork to bring home. The night trip down the river was a waste of time and overlong. Tonys Tropical Tours, by contrast, was excellent. A whole day spent in a four-wheel drive, with lunch included. We all enjoyed this. My husband and I had a spa treatment, which was very relaxing and the staff were LOVELY. I think it was wrong time of year to visit if you hate being bitten to death though! SO MANY mosquitoes - swarms everywhere we went. Couldn't eat outside because of them (although some brave souls did and had the bite marks to prove it!). On reflection, if I went again or if I was recommending what to do to other visitors, I would stay in Port Douglas and do trips from there. Wouldn't go back, even though the staff are a real asset to the place.

• Stayed July 2005
12 Thank kazpalms
Sydney
Reviewed April 14, 2005

Don't believe everything you read in the other reviews here. I can only think that the Ecolodge must have done a major upgrade since March 2004. The rooms are great. The beds are perfect. The furniture is new and in keeping with the surrounds. The level of cleaning was very satisfactory, considering you are in a rainforest! And I would have loved to find a rainforest snake on our doorstep! Now that's 'in the rainforest'. The restaurant and spa are awesome. The staff are extremely friendly, helpful and kind. If you want a real sense of visiting a rainforest retreat, the Ecolodge wins hands down. (And ask for Villa 12 if you like privacy, the sound of a waterfall and the most incredible outlook I have ever experienced from a room.)

• Stayed April 2005
8 Thank chalkie37
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 22, 2005

We stayed at the eco lodge during our honeymoon, and I agree it is not 4 star luxury. Rooms are outdated in appearence, and even with the air conditioner on not very confortable (no insect spray available). But you are in the rainforest- expect to share your room with ants, mossies, we even had to fish out a spider from under the pillows on the first night. Things got better, when we were greeted by a snake at our door on the third night! Resort does provide an amazing restaurant and and award winning spa. So that made up for the lack of amenities.G

• Stayed February 2005
8 Thank gouri9
Reviewed May 10, 2004

I have travelled the world and stayed in the best hotels along with the most rustic. This is the worst place I have ever stayed. The location is beautiful, but there are better places to stay in the area if you want to be in the rain forest (Silky Oaks). The cabins are horrible. They are musty and damp. The beds smell of mold. The pillows are very thin from years of use. The mattresses are so old that you can feel each spring in your back. I was near tears during the night and was ready to sleep in the car until I turned upside down in the bed to get some relief. The shower went from scalding hot to freezing cold with no in-between... The rooms are dirty (the corners of the floor had imbedded dirt, the phone had dirt on it, the furniture was banged up and worn - also not updated in may years. A very bad experience. We left the first/next morning and were not offered a refund for the night. Also, we tried checking out at 9 pm the night before, but the front desk was closed and no one was to be found. Enjoy your trip to the area - don't stay here!

20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 25, 2004

Although my husband and I enjoyed ourselves we wern't quite prepared for how rustic it was. We expected more amenities and more to do, espeacialy at night. The rooms are very average. However it is amazingly beautiful and the staff is sweet. If your looking for seclusion this is the place. Oh and the spa is wonderful too.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daintree
Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Port Douglas
Silky Oaks Lodge
Silky Oaks Lodge
#1 of 2 in Mossman
Daintree Rainforest Retreat
Daintree Wilderness Lodge
Heritage Lodge & Spa
Lync-Haven Rainforest Retreat, Cabins, Camping & Wildlife Experience

Been to Daintree EcoLodge & Spa? Share your experiences!