“Good location and concept, but needs some sprucing up”

Daintree EcoLodge & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Daintree
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Perhaps I'm a bit harsh in giving a 3-star for this accommodation, because the location is good, the food was even better, and the staff were mostly friendly and helpful. But the property itself seems to be in need of some facelift...I felt like I came there a few years too late. The reception area/lounge/TV room looked rather spartan. The small pool was not that inviting (more like a big bathtub). And the short walking track to a small waterfall needs some clearing up (the waterfall itself is beautiful, and you can get your spa treatment there). At the beginning of the track there's also a sign pointing to a "swimming hole" but when I asked the staff, it was not recommended to swim there. So please remove/change the sign.

But the most disappointing was my room, which was probably the least private room on the property as it was on the lower level instead of being propped up high for the "treehouse" experience I was looking for. Some aspects of the room were also ill-designed. The AC unit was right beside the bed, so when it's on it's blowing cold air right at you, which could make you sick. The shower only had a small soap holder, whereas they provided the toiletries in big squeeze bottles so you have to place them on the floor. A shelf would be better. The shower head was also old and could not generate strong water pressure. The fridge door in my room was moldy, and although a kettle was provided, there was no tea/coffee bags.

This is a relatively small property and it's great for a more intimate experience (compared to, for example, Silky Oaks Lodge in Mossman), as many reviewers have testified. But in its current state, I'd rather spend $100 more and stay at Silky Oaks.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Fabulous location well and truly away from the rat race. The food at the restaurant is outstanding. Congratulations to the chef. Definitely 5 star food. Very reasonably priced and good sized portions. Beautifully presented too. The tree houses are wonderful. We arrived and opened our door to find tea candles already alight and gently welcoming us. It rained heavily all night and we found ourselves listening to the rain and the jungle birds etc. What an absolute treat. Staff are very helpful. Well priced. Definitely would recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

We have just stayed here 3nights. Raining every day. But so much to do here or as little as you like. My husband and I stayed here for our 8th anniversary. The food is to die for, the accommodation with spa on balcony (room 8). Luke and Sara superb food service, too happy to help and so down to earth. Jacye-Leigh massage therapist - gave superb 2hr massage. We tossed up between this place, the Wilderness Lodge and Silky Oaks. So glad we cane here. Ideal and easy location to cape trib, daintree, mossman gorge, port douglas and feels like you are in the middle of a rainforest with the running creek and waterfall.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We got married last December in this most magical place!!!
We still can’t believe how amazing everything was and how beautiful and easy Jody, Sharon or better the whole team made it for us. Everything was down to the detail if location, flowers, decoration, music, food, snacks, make up artist or the amazing spa to correct my last minute mishap with nails and wait tan lines ;-). I cant thank you all enough and I still get goose bumps thinking back to our Day.
We got so lucky that the 6 of us had the whole lodge to ourselves and that the rain didn't start till after dinner which just made it more magical… and that we picked your place!!!

Again it was amazing, delicious, and so romantic, soooo special and we can’t wait to be back for one of our anniversaries!!!

Good luck to all of you and may the Daintree Lodge stay the way it is tranquil, loving and green and may the new owners be a breath of fresh air just supporting the amazing stuff that is already in place!!!!

Thank you is not enough to all of you!!!!

Room Tip: we loved the rooms all the way in the back of the property!!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank annett800
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I've stayed here twice and both times it has been a fantastic experience. The location is the main seller here, set in verdant jungle, with the rooms on stilts in the forest. You really feel you are part of the jungle (and therefore associated noises and insects it has to be said, so you need to be happy with that). The restaurant was excellent with such a unique setting and we treated to an aborginal dance as well. The rooms were fairly good but not luxurious but that fit with the whole feel of the place. Wonderful, I want a 3rd visit!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Dubaiuaetravel
Reviewed January 23, 2014

On our short stay up in the Daintree, we stayed 2 nights here and loved it. The service was great, the restaurant superb and location perfect. Although we were surrounded by other patrons in their own separate lodge, we always felt like we were away from noise and people. It was just us and nature! I definitely recommend staying here. Unfortunately we didn't try the spa.

Room Tip: The rooms with a spa made it that much more of a romantic experience for us.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I was lucky enough to receive a Gift Voucher for my birthday and redeemed it just recently in December 2013. Although I did not stay the night, the bungalows looked wonderful nestled among the trees. I could imagine staying overnight would be a beautiful experience.

On arrival, I was welcomed by Peter at the Day Spa where I enjoyed two fantastic spa treatments including the 'Rainforest Vichy Shower' with sugar scrub and a massage.
I found Peter to have a wonderful, friendly and down to earth disposition, extremely professional and very discrete and expert at draping.

I was then treated to lunch on the balcony where Sharon attended to me with warm and friendly service without being too familiar and pushy. She was gracious enough to let me enjoy the tranquillity and quiet without skimping on attentive service. So calming to sit and take in the scene, watch the butterflies, listen to the rainforest and relax!

I also want to note the wonderful lady at Reception (feel embarrassed that I can't remember her name now) But she was extremely helpful, understanding and accommodating. She also demonstrated excellent product knowledge and obviously loves working at the Lodge.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daintree
Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Port Douglas
Daintree Wilderness Lodge
Ferntree Rainforest Lodge
Ferntree Rainforest Lodge
#9 of 14 in Cape Tribulation

Been to Daintree EcoLodge & Spa? Share your experiences!