“Relaxing and peaceful”

Daintree EcoLodge & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Daintree
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Beautiful place and food love it the overnight wildlife symphony is spectacular. Be prepared for noise u can close ur doors! Food from the chef amazing lots of local flavours.... Recommend the rainforest salad with prawns and the kangaroo fillet

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Princesskell
EcoDaintree, Director of Sales at Daintree EcoLodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Dear "Relaxing and peaceful"

Thank you for staying with us and for taking time to give your feedback here on Tripadvisor.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I really like the comment you make about the wildlife symphony. That's a great way of explaining the rainforest sounds you hear around you in this magical place.
I will make sure that your nice feedback about our food gets forwarded to our head chef.
Come back and visit us soon!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here for two nights after traveling from the States and three busy days in Sydney. We found it to be incredibly relaxing. We left our windows open during the entire stay, and the constant sound of the birds and the waterfall were amazing. Our room was high in the rainforest canopy, and we spent most of our time relaxing in the spa on our deck. We both had superb 2-hour spa treatments and found all of our meals to be excellent. Never left the resort during our stay. To stay in a 135M year-old rainforest is a once-in-a-lifetime experience not to be missed!

Room Tip: #12 is at the end and highest in the canopy. A lot of stairs to get there, but worth it!
3  Thank nvnight

Dear "Great place to unwind"

First of all thank you so much for taking the time out to give your feedback on Tripadvisor. It is very much appreciated.
It sounds to me as if you got the full lodge experience and that you really enjoyed your time with us. What you are describing in your feedback is exactly what we want our guests to feel when then leave. Relaxed and refreshed ready to conquer the high-paced world yet again.
We hope to see you back in the rainforest!

Reviewed May 1, 2013

What an amazing experience. From sleeping with the doors open and hearing the rain of the evening, to waking to the bird calls of the morning... from breakfast to the scrumptious dinner... from the pampering hands of the spa girls to the very informative Steve on a nature walk... we loved our time in the Daintree... I long to return and now simply "dream" of Daintree!

Room Tip: leave your doors open... it allows you to really "be" in nature (it is screened for bugs)
2  Thank freewheelingUSA69
EcoDaintree, Director of Sales at Daintree EcoLodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Dear "Dreaming of the Daintree"

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and really got the full rainforest experience. We look forward to staying "in your dreams" until such time you can come visit us again.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed or tried to stay I should say in March 2013 .....Having stayed at Eco Lodge 18 months earlier I was looking forward to visiting again having told everybody about this amazing place. Forget it!!! now I was not impressed from the moment we arrived the old reception area had sheets hanging crudely across the windows and I was told by a cleaner to walk down to the restaurant as they check in there now. The walkway had collapsed ( I was told a tree fell but the stairs down were all mossy and slippery ) Im guessing tropical rot was the bigger problem! Finally got to our room and what a shock...where before it was bright and clean the over bed curtains were gray the lighting poor as we were shown into the room the manager turned the aircon off and instructed me not to use it unless the glass doors to the small balcony with spa were shut ( I would have thought it easier for her to walk over and shut the glass doors ) but I soon learned the place was in receivership so cost cutting was paramount. As we were on a romantic weekend we had brought our dinner and dvd for a relaxing time in the room and spa ....then I discovered NO TV and was then told the tropics had wrecked them and noone watched tv who stayed there. ... OK fine so board games ....NO wait there was a couple of very old books in the room on birdwatching...and the last straw was when I noticed that the most beautiful soaps shampoos and body washes all available in rooms in large bottles for guests had been replaced with cheap plastic shampoo and conditioner containers...............the price to stay is very expensive I expect quality ....a 2 star motel would have given me the same in room service.

5  Thank jaisplace
EcoDaintree, Director of Sales at Daintree EcoLodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear "What a shocker"

I am sorry to hear we did not live up to your expectations this time around. I do wish to touch on some points mentioned in your feedback.

When our guests arrive to the lodge we do a full presentation of the facilities and the rooms and this includes, among other things, an explanation on the reversible air-conditioning unit. As with all air-conditioning units the best effect is reached when the room is sealed and doors and windows are closed. Not everyone is used to these types of units which is why we like to give an explanation on how to use them in the most efficient way.

The TV's have been removed from the rooms by choice. We want our guests to be able to fully experience the amazing surroundings of this very vibrant rainforest and a full description of what is included in our rooms are available on our website.

The lodge is as you mention in financial difficulties and is currently under receivership and this does naturally affect the ability to do light refurbishments and renovations. However all of us employees see the great potential and we are hoping for a positive outcome so that the lodge can once again live up to all our guests expectations.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

The Lodge is now in receivership so any deposits made to secure a booking will not be refunded, no matter when you cancel. I booked a room a few months ago but cancelled it within the required 7 days. At the time of cancellation I was told that this was fine. About a week later I was told that the company is not authorised to refund any money. I am now out of pocket by 500 dollars, awaiting the resolution of the dispute through my bank. A highly unfortunate and disappointing situation that I hope everyone else can avoid. Only book here if you are certain that you will not cancel.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank KatIlly_32

Dear "Your deposit will not be refunded"

First I would like to apologies for the inconvenience caused by not being able to refund your deposit. It is not a positive situation or a preferred solution however due to the receivership this decision is out of our hands.
I would like to mention that it is only bookings and deposits made before the receivership in March that cannot be refunded. All bookings made once the lodge went under management and receivership of KPMG can be refunded as per normal.
With bookings prior to the receivership we do try our best to find alternative solutions such as moving to a different date however that is of course not always an option.
We are very sorry that we could not come to a better solution in this case.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Less than 2 weeks out from my wonderful stay at Daintree, and with many years of travel, I am endeavoring my first ever review..... My stay started with a 3 night package that we purchased mid last year and included a Bayan (not a Spa Bayan); 2 course welcome dinner, daily breakfast & pre-dinner drink each night; 2 x 60 min spa treatments for 2 and a in-property Rainforest Walk. Before arriving I purchased an extra night, which on arrival I wondered if I had done the right thing, but in the end am thrilled I did. My husband was unable to make the trip, so I had a very relaxing, enjoyable, comfortable and explorative time on my own and felt totally rejuvenated at the end of my stay. I had two amazing highlights, the first being the in-property rainforest walk with Steve who opened my eyes to the plants, insects and bird life in & around the lodge, and I haven't stopped talking about this since to friends & family in NZ. The Wompoo birds were my "Piece de resistance" and I understand very special to this area. In all I saw 4 of them up close and a photographer I talked to at Port Douglas Markets, despite all the birds he has photographed, has never seen a Wompoo in his 20 years, www.anhs.com.au./wompoo.htm for a super photo and bird call. The other was seeing the tiniest of wasps that pollinate, breed & live in the fruit of the tree fig. My own photo is attached and there are tiny wasps in the fig. My second highlight was the most amazing 2 hour massage with Lisa which incorporated the incredible Vichy table & water treatment, and also a wonderful facial and chakra healing session the next day. I have had many, many spa treatments in the past and these were BLISSFUL. Prices are certainly comparable to here at home. Natalie was my wonderful hostess in the bar, restaurant and arrival desk. I really enjoyed all my meals, but did feel my husband may have been left feeling hungry due to portion sizes. I also experienced the one night of "Chef's accident", but Natalie tried several options as an alternative for me. Staff were very helpful, obliging and flexible in all that I needed assistance with, and I met many lovely guests in my stay.
I did feel that the property could do with upgrading in many areas, but it was very comfortable, clean and in a rainforest situation, weather, trees, wildlife etc have their own impact on appearance.
I hadn't spoken to staff about the "situation" but had wondered if there were issues even before I arrived due to my dealings with varying members over many months. I truly hope it will keep operating, as I would definitely like to return one day and experience the tranquility and beauty that the Rainforest situation offers, and a very big thank you to all the staff for helping me enjoy your very special place.
Nga Mihi nui (Many thanks); Kia Kaha (Be strong)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank CARV_51

Dear "Wompoo Majic"

It is so lovely to hear your very descriptive and positive feedback about your stay at our lodge. I can say that I have not either seen a Wompoo pigeon yet so you are a very lucky girl!
The lodge is struggling financially and is currently under receivership and this of course impacts the possibility of performing renovations and restorations. We are all doing our best with the funds we have available to run the lodge to the best of our abilities and hopefully we will be able to see a positive turn in the near future.
I will make sure that the staff and Nat and Lisa in particular hear about your great comments.
Hope to be able to welcome you back to us soon!

Reviewed April 17, 2013

As I return to normal life, I am compelled to "tell the world" about the unbelievable experience we just had ... Then ...
It is with sadness & complete shock that I read the last review on Daintree Eco lodge.

I stayed there recently (in last 2 weeks) and cannot say enough about the amazing experience this was for myself and my partner.

The receivership issue is certainly a dark cloud hanging over this very beautiful & very special property. There is no doubt that on the "face" of the property, the financial difficulties can be seen (if you look hard enough). I understand also that there has been staffing issues as well due to staff sourcing more secure employment etc. however, the staff that are still there are passionate & committed to providing a truly unique experience for their guests & that's exactly what they did for us. Their may be a money shortage, but there is no shortage of love at the Daintree eco lodge. The young chef Sam is a credit to himself and the property. His food is of superstar quality! I've never tasted so good in my life. The environment the staff create in the restaurant is also Star quality. My partner & I both had the most magical spa treatments for $130 each, which I believe is the normal price. I regularly attend spa's and this price was very reasonable for an hour body treatment. It makes me kind of sad to know that someone may not have experienced the amazing beauty & peace of this property that we enjoyed. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I wonder if there is any thought to how the staff may feel with such negative & attacking comments at this difficult time? This property & the wonderful staff deserve all the support it can get right now in the hope of finding a buyer to give some stability to this tourism icon. "Kicking a dog when it's down", especially a faithful & loyal one is not my style & I thank the staff for sharing their special place with us. A cherished memory that we will never forget. We definitely hope to come back again one day & again enjoy the beautiful experience you all offer.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank ma_pop
EcoDaintree, Director of Sales at Daintree EcoLodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear "Another honest review"

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this very lovely feedback comment. It is a delight to hear that you enjoyed your stay and all the positive things you have to say about all areas of our lodge. We are in a difficult situation as you point out and feedback like this makes all our lives a little easier.
You have "hit the nail on the head" with this comment.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the rainforest soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Daintree
Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Port Douglas
Heritage Lodge & Spa
Ferntree Rainforest Lodge
Ferntree Rainforest Lodge
#8 of 14 in Cape Tribulation

Been to Daintree EcoLodge & Spa? Share your experiences!