“Another honest review”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Daintree
Aussie
“Another honest review”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

As I return to normal life, I am compelled to "tell the world" about the unbelievable experience we just had ... Then ...
It is with sadness & complete shock that I read the last review on Daintree Eco lodge.

I stayed there recently (in last 2 weeks) and cannot say enough about the amazing experience this was for myself and my partner.

The receivership issue is certainly a dark cloud hanging over this very beautiful & very special property. There is no doubt that on the "face" of the property, the financial difficulties can be seen (if you look hard enough). I understand also that there has been staffing issues as well due to staff sourcing more secure employment etc. however, the staff that are still there are passionate & committed to providing a truly unique experience for their guests & that's exactly what they did for us. Their may be a money shortage, but there is no shortage of love at the Daintree eco lodge. The young chef Sam is a credit to himself and the property. His food is of superstar quality! I've never tasted so good in my life. The environment the staff create in the restaurant is also Star quality. My partner & I both had the most magical spa treatments for $130 each, which I believe is the normal price. I regularly attend spa's and this price was very reasonable for an hour body treatment. It makes me kind of sad to know that someone may not have experienced the amazing beauty & peace of this property that we enjoyed. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I wonder if there is any thought to how the staff may feel with such negative & attacking comments at this difficult time? This property & the wonderful staff deserve all the support it can get right now in the hope of finding a buyer to give some stability to this tourism icon. "Kicking a dog when it's down", especially a faithful & loyal one is not my style & I thank the staff for sharing their special place with us. A cherished memory that we will never forget. We definitely hope to come back again one day & again enjoy the beautiful experience you all offer.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank ma_pop
EcoDaintree, Director of Sales at Daintree EcoLodge & Spa, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear "Another honest review"

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this very lovely feedback comment. It is a delight to hear that you enjoyed your stay and all the positive things you have to say about all areas of our lodge. We are in a difficult situation as you point out and feedback like this makes all our lives a little easier.
You have "hit the nail on the head" with this comment.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the rainforest soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is an honest review for those who are looking to stay. If you rarely travel and are blown away by normal and stock standard 4 star and above hotels/motels, you are going to find this place nice because it’s in the rainforest and different to normal stand alone hotels/motels next to a busy freeway. If you are, however, expecting the ‘world’s best eco lodge’ and a 5 star establishment, you will be extremely disappointed. The following information is true, mainly because the Eco Lodge is looking for buyers and they just have their head above water (there was talk on the news that they were closing down for good, as of April 2013).
To be honest the establishment needs a cash injection, a big one (I would say at least 10 million+). The place is poorly maintained due to staffing issues. Such examples include: Rotten and broken walk ways, rusted and aging accommodation units, un-kept gardens and poor restaurant presentation. The staff were friendly and accommodating, but it was fairly obvious they were understaffed, ie: working with a skeleton crew. It almost felt like I was visiting a real life Faulty Towers in a lot of ways.
Arrival was extremely awkward as well. As it was my partners birthday, I had organised a bottle of wine and a card be delivered and waiting in our room upon arrival. Instead, we were handed a warmish bottle of wine and two glasses and the card was placed in front of my partner as we checked in. Not exactly romantic and everyone was suddenly placed into a strange circumstance with everyone looking at each other like “well this got weird”. We were then told dinner was not being served (some accident with the Chef, but it was clear he had quit). Upon arrival we were given a free cheese platter to say sorry for no dinner. Luckily my partner and I had packed a few snacks. They suggested if we were hungry we could get a meal from another eco lodge down the road...I mean really??????? We also found that the wireless did not work (they said the rainforest interrupts the signal), so if you were thinking about catching up a few work emails or listen to you-tube music as you have a bit of bubbly make sure to take a Telstra Phone to pick up reception so you get online via your smart phone.
The pictures you see on the website are...well taken by a professional photographer..let’s leave it at that (clever lighting and camera positioning). If I was to grade this Eco Lodge, I would give it a 2.5/5 at this stage. We visited in mid April 2013.
As for pricing, it is severely overpriced. In Australian dollars, $200 - $250 per night would be acceptable. If you are paying those silly prices of $500 - $600 they have online I would suggest you look at places like Silky Oaks or other Eco Lodges in the main area for much better deals.
Gentleman, I would also be careful of this place. If you are taking your partner here for a romantic getaway (if you are from Brisbane/Sydney/Melb/or an overseas traveller), prepare to have your wallet destroyed. Not only will they try to charge you $500-$600 per night, but things like a massage start at $295!!!!! The expensive ones even get up to $400!! Just make sure that each night doesn’t cost you $900 because you will be secretly plotting a murderous revenge and there is a lot space to dig holes out there.
In conclusion if you are being treated to time away and you are not paying, you will find the place not so bad, however if you are the one paying the bill you will be swearing black and blue inside.
I hope this helps guys!!

Room Tip: Pass on this one
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
EcoDaintree, Director of Sales at Daintree EcoLodge & Spa, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear “The honest review”

We are really sorry to hear that we did not manage to live up to your expectations and create a wonderful birthday stay for you and your girlfriend. The lodge is, as you state in your feedback, in a difficult financial situation and up for sale. With this come other problems such as staffing and limited funds for renovations and touch ups. We were short staffed the week you were staying with us however I can gladly announce that we have hired new staff and are now running close to a fully staffed establishment.

The staff we have working for us all have a great passion for the lodge and see the potential it has to once again be a bright and shining star. Our hope is of course, that by running it to the best of our abilities with the funds we have, that a buyer will also see this great potential. Based on your comments I am glad to read that the staff interactions you had were pleasant and friendly.
As Tripadvisor is a very popular channel for finding feedback and in the final decision making of our future guests I do feel I need to mention that our spa treatments start at $130 and go up to $395 which is a 3 hour long full body treatment.

In regards to our chef Sam, I can let you know that he did have an accident however is now back on board in the kitchen.

We are yet again very sorry for not being able to create a special occasion for you and your girlfriend and hope that we will get a new chance to do so in the not too distant future.
Canada
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed for two nights in a unit overlooking the rainforest wilderness, with a jacuzzi spa on the private balcony. The entire unit was micro-screened, including the balcony and all of the many windows around the unit, which we kept wide open. This kept the mosquitoes, insects and other wildlife out while giving you great views of the forest all around. The mosquitoes were brutal at this time of year, so find a way to manage that as you go in and out of your unit. Around the restaurant area they had mosquito coils going all the time, which really made a difference.

We saw and heard the most amazing birds during the day and at dawn. At dusk, we saw huge fruit bats flying out and one stopped to feed on a tree a few feet from our balcony. It was incredible to see the huge variety of different species of flora in the forest, looking up at the impossibly lush canopy and down to the understory and forest floor. From our unit we watched the trickling stream flowing along the forest floor become a gushing, rushing torrent over the course of two days' heavy rainfall. There was some interesting wildlife around the grounds of the lodge too. Definitely an awesome, unique experience.

Unfortunately, we didn't have a chance to try the spa, but other guests were very complimentary.

Breakfast was included with a continental buffet set up along with hot breakfast selections for you to choose from. We did have dinner at the restaurant on both nights. Some of the dishes were excellent and most were quite good. You have to make dinner reservations in advance. Natalie was one of our servers and she is extremely friendly, and very at home in the rainforest. She makes the most amazing nightly cocktails! Definitely worth a try. She also has some amazing and endearing stories to share about the rainforest and its wildlife, prehistoric and otherwise.

From the lodge we had easy access to a variety of adventures and took advantage of our rental car to drive all the way to Cape Tribulation, Emmagen Creek, Thornton Beach and splendid sights along the way. We even saw a cassowary with two chicks in tow along the side of the road--- not a very common sight, despite all the road signs warning of cassowaries in the area. We also took a cruise along the Daintree River and saw one big saltwater crocodile and many other amazing and interesting animals, birds, mangroves, etc. We stopped for handmade biodynamic, organic ice cream at Floravilla ice cream factory, which was SO awesome. I could go on, but suffice it to say that our adventure in the most ancient rainforest in the world was one that I will always remember with great fondness.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
EcoDaintree, Director of Sales at Daintree EcoLodge & Spa, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear "Living among the epiphytes in the most ancient rainforest in the world"

First of all thank you for the very nice and most detailed feedback about our lodge and your stay. It seems as though you had an amazing adventure and got to see, feel, hear and really "live" the rainforest. It is experiences like these that makes your vacation unforgettable and gives you stories to tell for years in the future.
I hope that we will see you back with us in the rainforest soon!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Beautifully positioned in the pristine world heritage listed Daintree area, but easily connected to the main road... this resort offers pampering and relaxation par excellence...

Superb local food.. unique spa treatments.. and connection with nature in a wonderful peaceful and high class environment...

Ate the most beautiful local food... ......

It hasn't won so many awards for nothing!!

Easy access from the international gateway of Cairns... you won't want to leave.....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
EcoDaintree, Director of Sales at Daintree EcoLodge & Spa, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear "Relax in the rainforest"

Thank you so much for your positive feedback here in Tripadvisor. It is of great value to us and we very much appreciate you taking the time out to write about us.

It sounds like you really got the full experience while staying with us and I hope that you come back to see us soon.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed at the Daintree Ecolodge for three nights back in January - a bit slow with the review I know. Our whole experience was wonderful - perfect weather, great staff, beautiful surroundings (I loved the Ulysses butterflies), the chance to talk to like minded people (visitors and the owners Terry and Cathy), a fascinating cultural experience, interesting food and stunning cocktails invented by Natalie - and I'm not usually a cocktail drinker! We would have no hestitation in coming back.

Room Tip: Towards the top of the resort, rooms with a spa.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear "Loved it all"

No problems with slow reviews when they are this positive! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and thank you for posting your comments here on Tripadvisor. It is of great value to us.
It sounds to me that you really got the full taste of our lodge and I will make sure Nat gets to hear the positive comments about her cocktails. They are becoming the talk of the town, or should we say rainforest!
Come back and visit soon!
Katherine
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed there for one night and was not disappointed. The resort is very eco friendly and there is lots of opportunity to view wildlife not normally seen.
The rooms were very good
The service from all staff was excellent - especially the on-site naturalist (steve) who went out of his way to show us some of the local wildlife.
The meals were very innovative and were very good as was the house wine.
Very relaxing..

Room Tip: Rooms away for the road. Go for the rooms with the spa on the balcony
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear "A great weekend retreat from Cairns"

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback about our lodge. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and I will make sure Steve hears the nice comments.

You are most welcome back when you feel the Cairns city life gets too much.
Los Angeles
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I actually stayed here in January 2011, but am just now getting around to writing a review.

This place is like no where else in the world. Unbelievably beautiful & tranquil, and green as far as the eye can see.

I traveled with a friend and stayed in a Rainforest Spa Bayan, so we had the added pleasure of our own private jacuzzi. Our first night there the power went out due to the storm, and the staff popped by with some electric candles for us. We ordered dinner from the restaurant, along with a few bottles of wine. They brought and served it to us right in our hot tub! We had the kangaroo, beef fillet, and a dish with yabbies I think? Or prawns, maybe crayfish? Anyway, it was delicious.

We sat in the jacuzzi on our enclosed porch; eating, drinking and talking, while the rain fell all around us, listening to the sounds of the rainforest. It was truly magical.

Go to Daintree Eco Lodge. Eat. Drink. Stay. Get a massage. You won't regret it.

Room Tip: Go for a swim in the pool. It's gorgeous & lush.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dear "Amazing"

I get so happy when I read feedback comments like yours. Not only is it great to hear that you enjoyed your time with us but you also get down to the details of what makes our place so special. The ambience, the friendly staff and the natural events that you can never foresee but only embrace.

Come back and visit us soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daintree
Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Port Douglas
Silky Oaks Lodge
Silky Oaks Lodge
#1 of 2 in Mossman
Daintree Rainforest Retreat
Daintree Wilderness Lodge
Heritage Lodge & Spa
Lync-Haven Rainforest Retreat, Cabins, Camping & Wildlife Experience

Been to Daintree EcoLodge & Spa? Share your experiences!